Mom's in the hospital but OK/update

Mom has been having severe back pain for 3-4 days, to the point where when we have to roll her over, she screams at the top of her lungs. We are praying it is from therapy, but are fearing it is a met.

The ambulance got mom to the ER yesterday at 10am and when I left last night at 630, she was still waiting in the ER for a room. The Dr. is keeping her to do an MRI and bone scan today. I talked to Tom this morning and he said they finally got her a room (and dinner) at 10:30pm last night.

Mom was introduced to dilaudid yesterday and it worked wonders. To be honest, she was sooooooooo high. She kept making jokes and being sarcastic about everything, all with my shades on. She had everyone laughing. The Dr. ordered a pump that she could control. I freaked out at first until he told me she could not overdose.

Prayers please that this is a torn muscle or something from all of the therapy. Fingers crossed.

XOXOXOXO

me

Oh Lori. I am so sorry to read this. I hope this morning your mom is feeling better, and I will most certainly say a prayer for her scans and such...NO METS, NO METS.

Dear Lord, please be with Lori and her family, as her mom goes through this hurdle. Please Lord, bless her with renewed strength, and may you keep her free from traveling cancer, so that she may heal.

Take care!

Jen

Lori,

It really is frightening to see someone you love so much in so much pain. I know that w/ my dad that was one of hardest things to see, but I'm glad that they do have her pain under control. My dad had a pump and your right you can't OD, in fact if she needs more or less they can control it. I hope she is doing better.

Grace

Tons of prayers for Mom and NO METS!!!

Dilaudid..I recall the first few dose of that Dad got too. Though he didn't have as much fun with it as it sounds like your Mom is:D .. it really helped to relief his pain (in addition to his Fentanyl patch).He never would agree to a pump as he didn't think he "needed it",though another patient at the hopsice house Dad was at said that his was nothing short of a miracle and really allowed him a whole new lease of a pain free life. Glad to hear it is working for your Mom and pray that it continues to work!

Thoughts and prayers are with you Lori. Waiting can be sssoooo hard. Hope its good news Rocky and your family!!

Cindy

Sorry to hear about your mom's severe pain--I am glad it's being helped with the dilaudid. Good stuff, eh?! I've had it twice in the hospital. I swear after pelvic surgery I didn't feel a THING for a couple of days! I even apparantly called my good friend and had a long, cheerful conversation with her and don't remember any of it :lol:

I am praying that no mets are discovered.

Lori...I'm saying prayers that everything is alright and this is just another hurdle your mom will be able to jump high above! She has been through so much and is such a fighter. I can surely see where you get your spunk! Please let us know how she is doing!

Apparently mom has compression fractures in her back that are causing the pain and so they are going to do vertebroblasty tomorrow to relieve the pain. It will take about 90 minutes to do by injecting a bone cement into her back and it will fuse the bony pieces together. The relief is apparently immediate. There is also an area on mom's shoulder blade that lit up and we are still waiting to find out what is there-they are now doing an Xray and MRI to rule out recurrence.

Thanks for the prayers. We appreciate every one of them. Lori