A Steadfast Presence

ztweb

OK...as I find myself writing this, I think about how much of a Bible person I sound like, and I really am not. However, it is through God that I find strength for daily heartache, something many on this board feel because of the cancer roller coaster...

Anyway, Fr. Ken Bain at the church I got married in years ago wrote this, and I believe it so fitting...especially for those who struggle understanding why things are the way they are. I know a colicky baby is not near as dire as cancer, but when my Lilli was born 2 months early, only to have ALL DAY, EVERYDAY colic for 4 MONTHS, I was angry at God. I didn't know why he couldn't take that away. Why couldn't He make her feel better?????? I like what Fr. Bain wrote...it helps me to understand.

"St. Paul shows us that God's help is a steadfast presence with us. When we are helpless, there is God. When we are weak, God is strong for us. Paul discovers that his weakness makes him one with the Lord who himself was crucified in weakness. To look at the evidence at hand, Jesus' ministry was a seeming failure. His life ended - not with him coming as the conquering warrior Messiah with legions of armies - but as a naked, crucified, dying and conquered Messiah. Yet in the weakness and vulnerability of the cross, we come to know most clearly the love of God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Paul shows us God's power in his own weaness to that we can look for God in times of our own weakness. God said to Paul, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.' In faith we can say with Paul, 'When I am weak, then I am made strong.' Let the Lord Love you! Fr. Ken Bain

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." That is one of my favorite Bible verses, and assures me in low times that I am not alone and I am one of God's beloved. Lucie and I hang onto that constantly. Thanks for sharing it. Don

It is so funny you posted this. While at the cancer center today a lady asked me about my father. I told her about his condition, and she shared with me how she wished she had a father to take care of. Before we left she came up to me and whispered in my ear, "When you get depressed or frustrated, read Psalm 91." Of course I looked it up when I got home to my Bible.

Most days at the Cancer Center, I share with others about my Lord and Savior. In fact, I've talked about it in length in Sunday School that I have been able to share my faith with so many people there. Today when I needed it most, God repayed me. He sent this angel to give me the scripture that I so needed to read. He is surely my comforter.

Thank you for sharing that with us.