Sister's new pain

I just discovered this forum a few days ago and I already am asking a lot of questions. Now I have another...

To recap any other postings I've made, my sister went to the pulmologist last week due to SOB and a cough. Chest CT compared to one taken in March showed that she had (unreported) multiple lung nodules in March. They have approx. doubled in size since that time. She's having a PET and a medialtoscopy over the next couple weeks, but the pulmo fully expects the PET to show that the nodules are "hot" due to their rapid growth. LC is probable.

She left yesterday for a three day workshop in Fla. I have talked to her several times each day and she has told me each time how much difficulty she's having getting around. She has not had to leave the hotel for the workshop, but she's so tired and SOB that she is getting to her sessions after they are full. She only made it to two sessions today (out of six). She's complained of pain in the middle of her chest. Just a little while ago, she called me very upset because she's "so exhausted" and the middle of her chest hurts "so much." She was not able to join her colleagues on an evening trip to Universal Studios and won't be able to join them tomorrow evening when they go to Disney World. She said she feels so much worse than she did even a week or two ago. She is very frightened, particularly by the pain.

Are the nodules (yes, unfortunately, there are several of them) possibly causing this pain? What about the fatigue? She has always been a high-energy person. This rapid decline is really scaring me. Should she seek medical help in Fla at this point? I swear, I'd like to get in my car and just go get her (I'm in NC).

My mom (not the same mom as my sister - same dad, though) died from SCLC ten years ago and she didn't have pain until the end and then it was from the liver, so this is new to me.

Thanks!

Frannie

I WOULD SAY GET THERE ASAPwith Shortness of breath especially. This could just be a pleural effusion fluid build up around heart. Can be treated surgically bit get to hospial and get it checked. Then worry about getting home to Our state. I live in Greensboro. Shortness of breath is serious though get it checked out. Could bwe something else to.

Frannie,

I'm in agreement w/ Randy, she needs to go to the closest ER down there ASAP! This is something that can't be taken lightly. I'm not a medical person, but it could be anything from something not so bad to something that urgently needs to be taken care of. If you can't get to her, please tell her she needs to go to the ER tonite!!! . ( maybe there is someone else there w/ her that can go? ) Please let us know what is happening.

Grace

Indeed, to the hospital or ER, NOW. Orlando Regional Medical Center is affiliated with MD Anderson in TX. The other big hospital is Florida Hospital System. The main one is "downtown" in Orlando, next to ORMC. Tell her to get to one of those ASAP.

And let us know what happens. Good luck to her.

Muriel

Thank you to everyone for your quick responses. I was not able to convince her to go to the hospital Thursday night but she did OK. I called her pulmonologist on Friday and he's going to see her on Monday.

I REALLY appreciate you guys!

Frannie

Now I can Sleep tonite. Been worried and glad all is as ok as ok can be under circumstances. Hope everything goes well this week. Sending prayers.