Hard Time Dealing With All This

I don't post much- mostly just read. My dad's chemo break is over because there is some new "activity." The rest of my family tries to remain ignorant- because it is easier to ignore what is going on. I on the other hand read what I can on the internet- which is bad and good. This website gives a lot of hope but it scares me to see how quickly this disease can progress.

The uncertainity drives me crazy. I feel like I can't commit to a vacation or anything because "What If" something happens while I am gone.

I really just needed to get that off my chest, because its been bottled up in there the last couple of weeks.

Hi,

Yes, this is a family disease. It affects everyone to one degree or another. Your Dad, of course, needs a great deal of support, and it sounds like you can do that very well. However, from what I've learned through my experience is live one day at a time. Live in the moment and enjoy everything you can. There are many treaments that can be used to relieve pain and shrink tumors and destroy them. If you are satisfied with you doctor, that's fine - if not, seek another opinion anyway. It can't hurt.

Everyone reacts differently to this. Some people totally disappear from your life, others dig in there heels for the long ride. This has been discussed here many times. Please feel free to talk about this and know that there are many people here who will care and take the time to try and help you.

Joanie ((()))

Hi There,

Ignorance is not always bliss. I think you are doing a great thing by tryin to educate yourself as much as you can by researching. There are a lot of scary things that you can find online with I think the quick progression as well as the statistics being the msot horrifying.

I can completely relate to not wanting to commit a vacation. I am having the same reservations cause "you just never know."

I know it's easier said than done, but try to take care of yourself too. This type of stress can take such a toll on someone. Caregivers are sometime so involved in caring that they forget to care for themselves.

Take care. My thought are with you and your Father.

Shirley

The uncertainity drives me crazy. I feel like I can't commit to a vacation or anything because "What If" something happens while I am gone.

Um, dude...there always WAS a possibility something MIGHT happen when you were on vacation. People can die of food poisoning in extreme cases, have heart attacks, be hit by a beer truck...

Measure how he seems to be - if he isn't wasting away and refusing to eat or passing blood from an orifice or two, go on the vacation. Otherwise, it's easy to build resentment on all the thing you COULD have done, if your father wasn't sick...

Peace.

Dad's girl...Bless your heart. I so know how you feel. It is strange how we do that...I used to be a planner...planning all the big holiday's or special weekends, or things of that nature...my husband is now at wits end, because he asked me yesterday, "Are we going to the lake this weekend (that is where we have a cabin and where my folks live)?" My answer is, "Well, I think we will probably stay here unless something happens with Dad," (he just found out he has to have his gallbladder out...urgh!!!!)

Anyway, you really didn't need to hear that...I guess I had to get that off my chest too!

I pray so much that God blesses your Dad with peace, and that your "activity" turns out minor in nature. As always I pray for the miracles of healing for all those with this booger of a disease.

God bless,

jen

Um, dude...there always WAS a possibility something MIGHT happen when you were on vacation. People can die of food poisoning in extreme cases, have heart attacks, be hit by a beer truck...

I know- that is what drives me crazy because this disease makes me constantly think about when my father is going to die but anyone else could totally die unexpectedly.

I did plan a vacation for September- I will just keep hoping that all is well so that we can go.

Thanks for the support-it is just one of those days.

dads girl,

boy do i know how you feel! you literally live from moment to moment! but please don't think of your dad dying because you will drive yourself crazy.

As far as taking a vacation i know it is difficult, i want my family to take one, I have been planning for the week after next, but I can't make any definite plans until the very last moment because i don't know how my husband will be feeling. Please don't give up hope!

Grace

Dad's girl - I so totally understand what you are saying. I wanted to take my kids to Disney World this year but did not get it planned before mom's diagnosis. Then I felt like I needed to be here to help out. (We had health issues with my dad too.) Even after my sister (who is a nurse) came to stay with my parents for a month I felt like I could not go on a weekend getaway with my hubby and kids. I felt my sister left her job and house behind for a month...so who was I to go off and have fun for a weekend!! Mom is doing well now and we are planning to go to Disney World in Septemeber when my kids have a break from school, but I still have not booked the trip. (Maybe I think I will jinx her good run?) It is hard to plan anything anymore, even a few days out. But I know my mom would want me to go on vacation and have a good time so we will. I bet your dad would feel that way too.

What kind of 'cancer activity' is your dad experiencing?