My mother has been diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer.

mommasboy

Hello everyone,

My mother has 2 types of nsclc, and her PET scan showed a suspicious spot on her bladder but they could not confirm its a tumor.

Doctors decided not to do radiation of her T7 because they wanted to get all of the radiation done at once but that will start Monday. She meets with the chemo doctor tomorrow to explain to us how treatment will be conducted.

My question is when she starts chemo, as far as a cleanliness envirnment, what do I need to do to help in that area? Oh and the Cancer Treatmnet Center of America sent us some release forms to fill out and send back. Thats where I really want her to go.

I am praying for all you, and am constantly updating my mother about all you wonderful people.

Thank you again for your support.

Your friend

~Jay

Hello Jay,

Sounds like things are moving along for you and mom now. One thing that you will want to do is get a note book or a small organizer. Write down any and all questions you or Mom have so you will not forget them once you get to the doctor. It will also be good to have as the doctors are giving you information etc.

Ask for copies of any and all test results, records etc so you will have them if and when you decide on 2nd opinions.

Have mom drink plenty of fluids before and during the chemo treatments.

You are incredible, I am just so impressed by the way you are handling this. It is not an easy journey but your helpful attitude and positiveness is just great to see. Continue to be positive, as it will help so much! And keep us posted as we are all here for you!

Sending hugs and love and prayers to both you and your mom

Chris

Hi Jay,

Can I get an amen for the notebook idea Chris threw out? I have one and it's amazing how useful it is. I've been carrying it to work lately since I've been in contact with doctors throughout the day. I call it my "cancer book."

It's so great that your Mom has you to help her out with this roadblock.

As for the cleaniness with the chemo, one of the first purchases I got were the hand sanitizers just in case my father couldn't get to a sink.

Please keep us updated,

Shirley

Hi Jay,

I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB NSCLC in August of last year and did various forms of chemo/radiation from September through March of this year. While the chemo/rad thing was going on (and still now, to a lesser degree) I kept hand sanitizer everywhere, stayed away from places like my 13-year old daughter's gym which was like a gigantic petri dish, stayed away from public transportation and anywhere else where there would be big crowds. Your immune system is so compromised from all the treatments that getting a cold or flu could delay your next treatment and you'd rather not have that happen. Flu season is coming up soon so I'd also make sure she has a flu shot and a pneumonia vaccine at some point. Just something to jot down in your book and check on later! Good luck and you and your mom remain in my prayers.

Trish

My mother just had her first chemo and radiation treatment today. Inside I know she is scared but just doesn't want us to see her emotions. She is holding alot of feelings back. I hear her up all night when normally she is a bed at 8:30 person and then she is up early. She seems so depleted during the day. Does anyone have any advice?

Jay,

I am so sorry about the diagnosis, but it seems like you have an awesome head on your shoulders, and your mom is in good hands. Your mom is so young...that means you must be too...this is a huge weight on you, so be sure to get support where you can.

Chemo is exhausting. I really think drinking lots, and lots, and lots of fluids helps the situation. You will also read on here that I am a fan of antidepressants as it really helped my dad. He has cancer, it is depressing, and he needs all the help he can get. We will worry about the fact that he is on drugs later, but for now we will focus on making him feel as good as possible, so as to keep the positive attitude for a good fight.

God bless you Jay and your mom too. Be sure to let us know...start a new thread if you want as that sometimes makes it to more eyes (in my opinion anyway :) ) Take care!

Jen