regarding red blood cell count(can't spell hemoglobin right)

cindi o'h

I wanted to ask you of your experiences and share with mine to see if I am alone in this or if it is part of the "new normal"?

I had blood transfusions a couple of times (stacked red blood cells) due to low counts with physical symptoms.

I go in for blood tests like we all do I'm sure, and I get the verbal report of everything is fine. But, a while ago, I got the written reports and on paper red blood cells are always a little under the norm. Always. I asked about it and the doc sloughed it off and said it was "normal" for someone who has gone though the treatments like I had.

Well.

This last time, they were WITHIN NORMAL RANGE!! :) For the first time since treatment! And guess what? I am breathing better too! Coincidental? I think not. What made them come up in count, I wonder. They are mfg'd in the spine aren't they? What can I do to ensure that they stay up and that I stay breathing better? These little things don't seem like they should be a big deal, but I have been so hungry for air for so long and now there are little things that are changing for the better, a mere 3 years after treatments ended.

Also, I am wondering if there was anything that could have been done that would help the hemoglobin to come up in even a percentage point to get some more cells floating around to carry more O2 to our lungs. I realize that I was not symptomatic as far as being close to death, but my life has been for crap that short of breath. I guess I am writing this to gain more insight. If it is the hemoglobin increase that has helped me to breathe better all of a sudden, then I sure would have had a big desire for it a very long time ago!

How about the rest of you SOB's?

Thanks in advance for your help, advice, or comments.

Cindi o'h

Cindi,

Wish I could help answer your question. At any rate I want to say I am glad its up and that you are feeling a little better. If more red cells help you in your SOB then I am going to ask for some. :? I think of you often and I sure am happy that you are getting around better now.

Nina

Cindi--I don't have answers, but wanted to share that my mom was dealing with low hemoglobin for a bit, it was unexplained. When it got to a certain level she was given a shot (I think it was arenesp, but not sure). It made her more tired and SOB too.

Now her hemoglobin typically runs low (but not low enough for a shot in awhile).

No explanations or anything given to her.

Here is some info on Anemia other than using Aranesp That I found and This is not an advertisement but some good ols fashioned rememdies. Click on the Link to Get To;

http://www.homemademedicine.com/anemia.html

This looks like a very interesting site and I have not seen before but may be usefull for many other things as well. Good Luck and Hope this helps you some.

Cindi,

Can't really address your concerns, BUT am sure glad to see you are feeling a bit better than you have been for quite a while!!! I don't struggle MUCH with SOB, but lately with the temps in the high 90's with about 100% humidity I do suffer some......but I imagine everyone does under those circumstances. Can you think of anything that is different for you? I so hope things can stay like this. Good to know you will be in shape to keep the pub going for all of us, ya know?

Love,

Kasey

Cindi,

I recently had bloodwork and my hemo was a little low. No cause for concern because it was actually just one tick below the normal range, but of course, I was concerned. Dr. said nothing to worry about, any given day it could go a little low, etc.

I think that the only thing we can do is make sure we get the right nutrition and rest to restore the blood levels that chemo has tampered with. Healthy sources of protein and iron, etc. That's what I'm trying. Other than that, I don't think there's anything.

And, I do think it's related to shortness of breath. Isn't sob a symptom of anemia?

I'm happy that yours is back in normal range and you're feeling better.

Cindy

I just had blood work done last week and my hemoglobin came back fine. Everything else is a mess! :roll: However, I do and am dealing with SOB. Of course in my case, and maybe yours being we have both had heart issues as well, it's hard to say for me what in tarnation is causing this SOB. :? But you sure make a good FOOD FOR THOUGHT issue!

Glad you're feeling better!

I had pretty bad anemia when I was going through treatments, and as a result I would experience shortness of breath and extreme exhaustion just walking to the bathroom (and I don't even have any lung or heart issues). My doctor said it was a combination of the treatment and the subsequent anemia--just can't get enough needed oxygen to the muscles, lungs, heart, etc. Even with the Aranesp, my red blood counts just couldn't rise that high because they were hitting me with chemo and radiation at once.

I wonder if doctors should aggressively treat anemia while a patient is going through treatments? My opinion is that it would make patients feel better, and give them more energy to fight.

Hi Cindi, I had low blood real bad before my hysterectomy (8-9 level). My Mom told me to drink this and it helped.

Drink every night : One tablespoon of dark molasses mixed in a glass of warm milk. (microwaving milk to warm works fine.)

But a hysterectomy finally solved my problem completely, now I run 15-16 range.

Barb