Ads that fuel the stigma

Guest Estrea

Has anyone seen the ads from the Legacy Foundation in magazines? The latest has a woman apologizing for causing her family pain because she smoked and now she is dying. That is so pathetic. And, so is Carol Burnett...she said her daughter apologized to her for smoking right before she died. Do overweight people apologize for eating too much? Do people with AIDS apologize for having unprotected sex? This makes me so mad!!!!!! And, what about all those holier than thou folks out there that think "I am so smart...I quit so many years ago and now I can't get LC." To them, I say -- Ha! I got it 15 years later. I know people who got it 30 years later. We need to do something about this stuff.

The Stigma attached to Lung Cancer only adds to the stress of having

it. I am Stage IV Adeno/ diagnosed in 8/02. I cannot stand it when friends and well meaning people say " you don't deserve this, you were never a smoker." Nobody deserves this smokers, or not.

When I was newly diagnosed the Church that I attended a few times with a friend put a Prayer request in the Church newsletter. The request asked the congregation to pray for me and then the last sentence was

" Janet never smoked and is not a smoker" - This has caused me to continue to search for a Church to attend. I wish I had to guts to ask the Pastor if I would not be prayed for if I had smoked!!

Estrea's post today reminded me of this so I thought I'd mention it.

On another note my father is a Colon Cancer survivor ( 3 yrs + )and

doing great. Nobody ever asked him. Did you eat a lot of read meat,

etc. etc.

If we all had a nickle for everytime someone would asked us " Did you

Smoke" etc, etc. Then I bet we would have as much research $$$ as

the other types of Cancer.

Sorry to be so long .............but it's maddening.!!

God Bless Us All

JanetK

Dear Estrea and Janet K.

Oh how true your words are. And I want to thank you for sharing them with us. In todays paper St. Paul Pioneer Press (Minnesota) One of my lung cancer support group memeber has an article on lung cancer. She too never smoked, and she is sick to death of the stigma that is attached to this monster of a disease. If you get a chance, go look up her story.

It's in the Express section of our Newspaper. I'm not sure of the web address right off the top of my head.

We HAVE to change this disgusting stigma that is attached to this disease.

It's shameful, painful, hurtful, and down right mean!!! NO ONE DESERVES Lung Cancer or any kind of cancer for that matter. I know several of my support group members that come into group, and they are down right pissed because they QUIT smoking 15, 20 some even 30 years ago and they are now lung cancer patitents. What I don't understand about all this is, if a person QUITS smoking, shouldn't they be COMMENDED for there efforts to better there lives, rather then belittled for smoking??? What am I missing here?? In the news and in the medical profession they all say, QUIT smoking! Okay, fine and ducky, but then what about the fact that they are STILL at RISK for getting lung cancer? What then??? Or another health issue with smoking is HEART DISEASE. You never hear people say to someone with heart disease, "Oh did you smoke?" And why not? Wouldn't smoking add to heart disease? But, I have never heard that statement made. Rather they talk about what a person should or shouldn't eat and get plenty of excersize. Boy, we have our work cut out for us. And while I'm on a roll here, is the reason that Lung cancer research doesn't get as much $$$$$ toward reserach due to smoking? If so, then IF I were a person who NEVER SMOKED, I would really be pissed knowing that I can't get the BEST of treatments due to the smoking issues associated with lung cancer. Well, there you have MY HUMBLE OPINION!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs To all,

Donna posted the web address for the article on Michelle. It's:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpr ... 973438.htm

I would be willing to be if all the former smokers out there knew that they were really still at risk for LC all this would change. 25% of the population USED TO SMOKE. If they knew they were ticking time bombs, maybe this disease would come out of the closet. Before my twins were born, I was working with ALCASE on an early detection campaign that was also meant to talk to former smokers and raise awareness of this issue. Then they got all political on me and the whole project died. How can we get the word out and start making this stigma go away?

I hope Dave's got some thoughts on this!

I, too, was a smoker. I quit June 14, 1997. I was diagnosed September 2001. many of you already know my story, but I wish to add to the other posts. Never once have I beat myself up about my past smoking. When I first was told that I had lung cancer, smoking was not an issue. The surgeon who gave the results of the first CT Scan, didn't even bring the subject up. His concern was that I possibly had a very serious disease and steps needed to be taken to take care of it before it got worse. The only time smoking entered into the picture was went I had to answer all the necessary pre-op questions. My surgeon told me that my pulmonary function study was much better than he expected. After the surgery, he told me that other than a small amount of emphysema, which he removed, my lung looked very good.

With me smoking has not been a big issue, but it has been a small issue. I usually diffuse the smoking issue, when I am asked that question by non-medical people, by asking the question "You must have a reason for asking that?" . That has literally stopped people cold and their reaction has usually been embarassment.

We have much to overcome, but all this is absolutely possible to acheive. When one looks at the AIDS issue and what they have overcome, gives me full confidence that we will do the same. We have to remember that we are on the "lower rung of the ladder" and have quite a ways to go. We seem to be getting better direction as each day goes by.

It is so important to have our local groups. If you are in an area where there is no local group here are some hints. These are things I have used and have gotten response to:

1. Contact your local newspaper and ask for an interview. Talk about yourself and tell your story. State facts and back those up with references.

2. Contact your local hospital, especialy the Social Workers, and talk to them about forming a group. If the hospital does not have a Social Worker on their staff, then talk with the Chaplain, or someone in the hospital administration. Please understand they will not divulge any patient information, but many times will be willing to help by placing notices in the hospital newletter, or on bulletin boards. Social Workers, of course, do have access to patient information and are in a position to contact patients directly. That is exactly how the group at the University fo Wisconsin Cancer Center got started.

3. Be persuasive and by all means follow-up.

These groups can accomplish several things. They provide frontline support for the survivor/patient and should definitely be open for caregivers and family members. They, as our group at UW has, also can become advocacy oriented. When the suggestion was made about doing a TV story about our group, everyone said, "Bring on the cameras!". Another thing I have done, while waiting for appointments at the Oncology Clinic, is listen to conversations. If someone mentions that they have lung cancer, I introduce myself and tell them about the Support Group. We have gained several members through this.

I hope this information helps.

Dave

Estrea, seeing you pregnant with twins was one a very moving experience for me when I was recovering. I was diagnosed at age 38 with Stage 3a adenocarcinoma. I never smoked.

I have seen those ads, the American Legacy Foundation was formed from the state tobacco settlements. Their one and only mission is to link tobacco with disease. They have about $25,000,000 to spend so brace yourself you're going to see a lot of ads. In the absence of any other message, the public believes only that negative message.

I am in the process of putting together a print campaign called Time for Living, A Tribute to Lung Cancer Survivors and Their Heroes. My husband will have the website up in a few days, we're working on it now. My first piece is a 2004 calendar. I would like survivors to consider volunteering to be one of our faces. I will post the link when it's ready so you will have more information.

You've all said it so well, I thank you. I'm not the greatest at expressing my thoughts, but I really do get sick and tired of the smoking question, especially from the "holier than thou" of which I have to put up with the most. I have started to tell them that they are not out of the reach of LC just because they are ex-smokers.

Tamara, what you are doing is FANTASTIC. Can we help you with it? What is the Web site going to have on it? Do you want space on this Web site instead? We are revamping it and asking all of our members to be involved. It's paid for and gets a lot of traffic. And, please register here so we can send you private emails!!!!

What can I do to help? I am definitely worker bee material, and I have some very real limitations. But if you point me in the right direction I can be pretty effective. Fay A.

The reason people are so judgemental is because we've been well-trained by anti-smoking campaigns for over 30 years. There has been no other lung cancer message out there in the media. All those ads sure worked on me. When I received my diagnosis, I immediately got a picture in my head of the grainy black and white image of the ravaged old chain smoker and thought, but that's not me. I'm 38, never smoked anything and don't look like that at all.

We need to give people a reason to stop and think.

That's my whole gig right now, to put a different message out there. My project is a calendar, a tribute to lung cancer survivors and their heroes.

My biggest need at this moment is to get the word out to survivors so they can let me know if they want to be considered.

The Time For Living website will not be live until this weekend.

My father quit smoking at the age of 52. His brother was 56 and was dying of lung cancer. Neither realized until that last year that smoking really caused lung cancer and other terrible things. His brother was so angry at the tobacco companies! He felt so betrayed, so lied to.

My father went on and lived smokefree for the next 18 years. He was then diagnosed with lung cancer at the age of 70....he died from it at age 71.

We all thought he would be okay because he had been quit so many years.

Hi All,

I have been reading all the wonderful posts regarding the Stigma and the issue on Quit Smoking. I have also noticed I think it was Janet who mentioned her father being angey at he Tobacco Companies for being betrayed. Boy, I just don't see it that way for me. I smoked, and the reason I smoked is I HONESTLY enjoyed doing it! I had a wonderful love affair with those darn cigarettes, and I have to say, IF I wouldn't have GOTTEN Lung Cancer, chances are I would Still be smoking today!! But, I can't blame the tobacco companies or anyone else for what I choose to do. Even after I started smoking when the NEWS came out that cigarette smoking was BAD for you, I still continued to smoke. As MANY of US DID!

And if I were to be ANGEY at the Tobacco Companies for Betrail, OY VEY I would have to be man and angry at a LOT of Government situations for being BETRAYED! The list would never end, if I had to count all the Betrail we have ALL had to live with in our lives! We are lied to MOST of the time about food, health issues, taxes, what have you!!! :?:?:?

So I guess I don't do the BLAME GAME. I did it and I am NOT ASHAMED of what I did! It's LEGAL and it USE TO BE very Socialbly Acceptable. So, I have NO SHAME nor GUILT. God know's we have ALL done something in our lives we aren't totally proud of!! I may have gotten lung cancer even if I DIDN'T smoke then who would I blame????

Food for thought!

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

It was my uncle who got so angry. When he was growing up and began to smoke, it was supposed to be actually GOOD for you. There were ashtrays in every doctor's waiting room, even.

I think he had every right to be angry. People weren't informed back when he started.

Sorry Janet, I meant your Uncle. Sorry about that. And I don't mean any disrespect in how he may have felt. I just wanted to share my thoughts about it. And like I said, WE THE PEOPLE are NOT INFORMED of a LOT OF THINGS just as what is in the food we eat and drink. and air we breathe! Think of all the chemicals they put on the fruits and veggies, etc???? The list is unreal! Then I think about the YOUNG gal in my support group at the age of 26 and was dx.d with Mesotheliamo Lung Cancer. Where did she get that from??? Our older schools are full of Asbestos!! So much to think about! And I'm even going to guess that lead paint added to lung cancers.

From my understanding, many of the very HARMFUL chemicals that they added in to cigarettes were added in after 1970 (something)? I have to find that article again! Not to say that straight tobacco isn't harmful! :roll:

Sorry, Janet, I mean NO disrespect to your loved ones!! I too lost my Father, Mother and Sister all to Lung Cancer and my doctor's all told me it's also a GENE thing!! I had a lot of different types of cancers in my family history as well, breast, ovarian, stomach and of course, lung cancers.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Dear Janet,

We were just talking about this the other day regarding smoking in doctors offices. And they didn't band smoking from Hospitals until 1986 or 1987. My mother was in the hospital in 1987 and they still would allow us to smoke in a smoking room in the hospital that same year. The year before we could smoke in our hospital rooms and throughout the hospitals. Plus when my sister passed away in 1988 we were allow and so was she to smoke in the HOSPISE part of the hospital. YES, they honestly let people (patients/ family members/friends) smoke in the Hospise area. Even the nurses smoked. And I have to tell you that 90% of the nurses in that area smoked!!

Hugs,

Just another thought on this issue. I am all for ads that encourage people to quit smoking and target health issues as the reason to quit. Especially when they target the entire realm of health issues. One ad I saw recently even listed some of those issues: (not necessarily in this order) Lung Disease (it did not mention LC specifically), heart disease, stomach disoders, asthma, nasal and mouth disorders, and smoking has been linked to most of the cancers. The one thing that jumped out is "smoking has been linked to most of the cancers". Once the American public comes to that realization that smoking is just plain bad for you, not only will we make headway, all the cancers will make headway.

I was interested in the comments of my urologist, following my cystoscopy yesterday. He asked if I smoked, and I told him that I had. I know that he was asking that in relation to bladder cancer, as he said that one of the major causes of bladder cancer is smoking. He went on to say, the biggest danger of smoking is to those of us who don't smoke, as secondary smoke is more dangerous than primary smoke, and not meaning that one is better than the other. When I told him that I was an advocate for lung cancer, he applauded me for being so open about it.