Jen Update - What's with the Cough

ztweb

Hello everyone! Greetings from the lake...the old dial up connection is a hoot!!! Anyway, I have been with my dad now for a few solid days and I cannot get over the cough...he has an albuterol puffer for the pneumonia he had a few weeks ago, and it seems the cough is worse after that, but all of the coughing is quite productive....is this normal? What do you guys think???

Jen

Hi Jen, You might check with his doc on the cough as he could be developing radiation pnemonia. Can't hurt to be overly cautious with things like this. I do believe that one of my mom's inhalers makes her cough right after using it....and I remember having a conversation with her pulmonologist and he explained why (I just don't remember the explanation right now :roll: ).

Enjoy your time at the lake!

Karen

Albuterol doesn't make the "stuff" he's coughing up, it opens the airways so he CAN cough up the stuff. Keep him coughing it up, better out than in! I would talk to his doctor about the amount, consistency, blood or no blood, etc.

I agree with he could have the start of radiation pnemonia, or it could even just be a cough caused from the radiation. I know of a few people that have a cough (me included) from having radiation treatments. It also could be he is still healing from his pnemonia. Give his doctor a call just for peace of mind! It can't hurt to call and ask.

Nebulizers, inhalers, etc. all seem to "free things up" more for my husband too. When he was doing the nebulizer 3 times a day he was coughing like crazy too. He still does advair twice a day to open the tubes so the "stuff" can come up. He also takes mucinex to loosen it better. He also has emphysema (sp?), has had irritation from radiation, and fluid build-up in and outside his lungs so he coughs up stuff much of the time. Sometimes it is worse than others -- it's just all become a blur. Ebbs and flows. Your Dad is probably irritated from the radiation too.

Welthy

Darrel,

Thanks for the concern. Dad is on the upside of the rollercoaster these days. Aside from the emotional side of the cancer ride, the cough, and the healing inerds from radiation, he is doing great!

His cough is something that bothers him...I don't think he looks at it as a good thing. He was told he is too "unstable" for gallbladder surgery, but still needs it. They don't want to risk infection at this point. We are happy nonetheless that this gallbladder deal is unrelated to the cancer.

He is in the wait stage, so we are waiting until the 30th to see how all the treatment worked. The waiting is killing him and my mom both. They talk about preparing for bad news, even though the docs are positive about it.

Please all pray and know I am thinking of you often, even if I cannot get online.

God bless!

Jen