Mom wanted no biospy or treatment

ConnieH

The more you tell me about your mom the more she reminds me of my dad. I really feel for you and what you are going through. It is tough to let them decide. I want my dad to fight this with everything he can, and he's only willing to do the radiation to ease his breathing. I'm just praying for great success with that. He too doesn't want to give up his independance. The other day he said he was going to go up on the roof to fix an exhaust pipe. Even though we try to let him do what he can there are limits to that. I love how your mom has far exceeded the doctors expecations. I'm praying she continues to do that and finds comfort. Thank you keeping us posted. You hang in there the best you can.

• 1 month later...

Well just thought I would give an update. Mom has not been doing very well at all. She of course is still staying by herself but she really only goes from the bed to her chair and to the bathroom. She has trouble with her breathing just walking from the chair to the bathroom but she is soooo independent she will not allow me to stay with her. So I bring her breakfast, lunch and supper, make sure all of her things are done so she don't have to exert herself with anything.

She has started having a considerable amount of pain in her spine and her home health nurse advised she is not hearing any sounds in her left lung at all. She takes are meds for the pain but it only takes the edge off and makes it tolerable, she won't take anything that will mess with her head, she wants to remain as alert as possible. She has been getting somewhat depressed on occasion but she is able to have her conversations with the Lord and it brings her back to her old self. Her depression doesn't come from dying, it comes from not being able to get up and do anything or even carry on a 5 min conversation without getting breathless.

We are just taking everything day by day. Prayers are with everyone and thanks for listening.

Hey Connie.

I am glad she is still able to have her conversations with the Lord. And I am glad to hear she is doing this her way.

I am sorry that she is not doing well, but it sounds like there is good care around her and your love for her I'm sure is a HUGE comfort.

• 2 months later...

I wanted to let everyone know that Mom passed away Sunday morning, June 3, 2007 at approx 1:00 am. We had to take her to the hospital Friday, June 1 about 1:00 pm due to her potassium being too low. They advised she was also possibly suffering from pneumonia in her right lung and her left lung had apparently collapsed. I believe she knew the time was near and that is why she agreed to go to the hospital.

She was diagnosed almost 16 months ago and given only 3 to 6 months to live. She lived her life the way she wanted and was able to walk to the stretcher to get in the ambulance to go to the hospital. She was only bed ridden and in the hospital for 1 1/2 days due to her illness.

As she was taking her last breaths, my son in law was singing her favorite song "Amazing Grace".

We buried her today and I asked my son in law to speak at her funeral, he did a wonderful job of describing her life. I also wanted to share a poem he wrote last night for the service.

Nanie, A Woman of Virtue

We speak of a woman who was strong and virtuous.

Whose Godly love and kindness we felt in all of us.

With crutches and a brace she would give her very best.

She was a warrior and a fighter, who now can finally rest.

Her life was not a sad life, but a life well lived.

Her joy came from the Lord, her service to others, her family and kids.

Through life’s many struggles and pains we all go through, she will carry no more.

Because I believe someday we shall see her running by the heavenly shore.

When she closed her eyes to this life and opened them to the next.

Oh how I can imagine what she saw, the Lord’s arms, towards her, as he stretched.

I’m sure she would say don’t be sad for me now, I am finally home in heaven and at God’s feet I bow.

I’m sure she would say I am with lost loved ones and long lost friends, but listen closely this is not the end.

Because the Lord is coming back any day, any night,

Have you trusted him with your heart? I hope and pray you might.

We have spoken of a woman of virtue and whose life through her deeds has spoken to each and everyone of you.

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support through this whole long battle. My mom is now reunited with my dad and walking for the first time without crutches down those streets of gold.

• 3 months later...