Personality Changes for Carbo/Taxol??

Angie

My dad was recently taken off Gemzar due to continuous coughing and extreme shortness of breath. Three weeks ago he switched to a combination of carbo/taxol. He suffered with diarrhea for a few days and is loosing a lot of hair, but thankfully hasn't been nauseated. He does seem to be VERY SHORT with my mom and my sisters and me. Normally my dad is a very sweet, patient person. He even blew up at the waitress at Perkins for forgetting silverware. So, I'm not sure if this could be a side effect for the chemo or if he's just to the point of being sick/depressed with the cancer (undertandably so!). Anyone else experience this???

Is your dad getting steriods with his chemo? They would give Tim Decadron--2 pills the night before, 2 the morning of chemo and some in his IV. They told us it could make him either very emotional and weepy or angry and short tempered. Kind of a roid rage thing. Check to see if they are giving him anything like that. If so, it's only a temporary problem.

It made Tim very hungry and he would just eat everything in sight during his chemo days. He gained 15 pounds in 5 weeks.

Annie

Angie,

My mom is currently on Carbo/Taxol. She has days where she can be short, but mostly it is because she is suffering from fatigue caused by the chemo drugs. This is also not an everyday occurence. But there are times when she has come back and apologized to me...my mom too is usually the most patient and caring person. Hope this helps. Take care.

You might want to ask the Dr about a MRI for the brain just in case.

I am sure most people when faced with something so difficult will behave a little bit differently, but if something is going on in the brain it probably is best to know as soon as possible.

Hugh never had a personality change from chemo or when he had the brain mets. He DID however have a personality change when he was on decadron when they began treating the brain mets. Funny that the decadron they give him via IV during his chemo treatements don't affect his personality in a negative way but the pills they gave him changed his personality in a big way. He was either extremely angry, extremely happy.... it was about the worst time we have experienced throughout this ordeal.

Angie,

My Dad only had four chemotherapy treatments before they stopped due to his complications but I have to say that in general, his personality has changed very much since diagnosis. As you said, it's understandable. But I just wanted to share that some days he just does not act like the man that I've known all of my life. Quite often he is irritable, short with us (my Mom mostly) and he weeps. Don't know if this information helps but I know where you're coming from.

My dad was the same way.. he got so mad over the littlest things.. it was so frustrating to see him so mad all the time. To me i just figured that he was just so upset that he had cancer that he took it out on everyone. He is off chemo now and he has returned to his normal self. I guess he came to exceptance kinda... its difficult to stay happy when going through all this. So i would say its reasonably normal.

God Bless

Christy

My mother in law was on Decadron too while taking chemo and it made her mean and hard to deal with. She is on Decadron now too and she is still hard to deal with, but we are more used to it now so i guess it's better for us now than then. Hang in there, you might want to ask the Dr. about reducing his dosage as soon as its possible - also we never did it, but i know other people have gotten anti-anxiety drugs to counter the side effects of the Decadron. Ask your Dr. what he/she thinks about that.

When I was on that combination, I found that I also had no patience. Maybe it was from all of the stress associated with the diagnosis/treatment. If possible, point it out to him and let him know that you are sympathetic to his situation and TRY and be as understanding as you can. Hang in there.

Barbara

I agree-the steroids DO make personality changes. I knew I was being short at times but could not seem to stop it. It does help for the family to know this is a side effect from it.

Also just the fact of having cancer (a small detail :( ) can depress us. I see nothing wrong with an antidepressant. I have been on them and a couple times went off. I could tell a difference in mood and activity level. I went right back on them. God bless!