Carboplatin Vs Cisplatin

HollyMoore

My friend is starting chemotherapy and radiation next week for stage IIIB NSCLC. Her oncologist has her on cisplatin and VP16. In researching the platinum drugs it appears to me that carboplatin is easier to handle than cisplatin and similar in effectiveness.

Is there a reason an oncologist would prescribe cisplatin over carboplatin?

Thanks,

Holly Moore

Philadelphia PA

hoddymoo@aol.com

Hi Holly, welcome. I don't really have an answer for you but I may after tomorrow. Two years ago I was given Carboplatin and Etoposide (VP16) for sclc. The sclc had been surgically removed so the chemo was a precaution to make sure it hadn't gone anywhere else.

Well, two weeks ago I had another thoracotomy to biopsy something that showed up hot on the PET. It is sclc again and my oncologist did mention Cisplatin this time around. I have an appt. with him tomorrow and will find out more.

It is my understanding that Cisplatin is a harsher chemo, but two years ago he told me that Cis and Carbo were pretty much the same but carbo was easier to take (fewer side effects). I will see what he says tomorrow and will let you know.

Take care,

Nancy B

My wife, Lucie. was given Carboplatin in her first chemo 3 plus years ago, and is now on it again with this combo. I don't really know the difference, except there was a thread here indicating Cisplatin could be tougher on the ears than Carboplatin. Don

Holly,

my husband had cisplastin and etoposide for his first time w/ chemo. Cisplastin can be very harsh on the body, and as w/ any chemo can cause side effects, but when my husband was on this, he had the neulastra and arensip (sp?), but he did feel the treatment after a few rounds. I'm pretty sure that cisplastin is the harsher of the two. But it is very effective in sclc.

Grace

My understanding of the two is together they are more powerful. Aggressive is what I would want first and foremost if it were me! I had Cisplatin and VP-16 and I was a Stage IIIB also 11 years ago. Although that's all they had back then when I did my chemo. They have added a lot of new chemo's in 11 years. :D

They do still consider those two chemo's a very powerful combination in fighting lung cancer.

I also had Cisplatin and Etoposide with daily radiation to my tumor. After I was able to have surgery, and I had another go round of the same chemo's. I finished treatment in April of 98'. It worked for me.

Donna G

I had them both. Carbo and Taxol the first round and later I had Cisplatin along with my radiation.

I agree the Cisplatin was much more difficult to tolerate for me. I was much more tired, the nausea, the neuropathy in the fingers and toes was more pronounced and I just felt crappy... crappier I guess.

The "infusionist" told me that it is harder on your body especially your kidneys so I don't think they use it as a first line.. I think they are more likely to use the less harsh drugs like Carbo.

It seems tha most find cistplatin to be a harsher but perhaps more aggressive drug. Is your friend in good health (except for cancer)? This could be why the onc would select the most aggressive for starters. I also think chemo has been refined a great deal and todays chemo isn't even like that of a year ago. As they learn more of dosage and combinations, they seem to make it a good deal more tolerable.

I believe if the chemo becomes too much, they can always switch to carboplatin.

Good luck to your friend.

mary

I also started with the carbo/taxol combo. Had a reaction to taxol with the 2nd infusion. Switched to taxotere/carbo; had a reaction to carbo about the 7th or 8th infusion. Finished chemo taking taxotere only. That combination of drugs showed great results and now I just take Tarceva (pill) once a day. Hope everything goes well with the treatment.

Trish

Keith had both Carboplatin and Cisplatin.

He had the Cisplatin first with CPT-11, and then switched to Carboplatin VP-16 after developing ringing in the ears and hearing issues.

We were told they were similar with similar efficiencies. However, what needs to also be considered in how two drugs interact with each other. It may be that the combination of Cisplatin VP-16 is more effective than Carbo VP-16. And Carbo & Taxol is a better combination than Cisplatin Taxol. The idea of dual chemo agents is to attach the cancer with two drugs that kill the cells in different phases of growth and replication and different ways.

Cisplatin was by far the harder of the two drugs to tolerate, with more side effects.

I had cisplatin and VP-16 and a whole LOT of it.

I asked my doctor the same question, and his opinion was the cisplatin was more aggressive (though more harsh), but I've read some research that the carboplatin/VP-16 is just as effective. So I don't really know. Maybe there's not enough research comparing the two?

Cisplatin is difficult to tolerate, and I think has more serious and long term side effects. However, perhaps your friend should take the cisplatin as the doctor recommends and if the side effects are severe or causing too many problems, then switch to the carbo.

best of luck to her. Keep us updated if you can!

Thanks all. The positive experiences with Cisplatin are very encouraging.

Here is a summary of my friend's onoologist's reply this morning when I asked - the first day of my freinds chemotherapy.

Cisplatin is the gold standard. Also there has been to head to head research on the effectivness of the two drugs. Until Carboplatin is proven more effective they are sticking with cisplatin when the kidney is strong enough to handle it. Cisplatin is rougher on the kidneys. There is some evidence that Caboplatin is rougher on the bone marrow.

There has been some sort of "less effectiveness" tracking - the oncologist used a different term. Based on that neither drug is less effective.

Holly Moore

Philadelphia PA

You could ask the Dr about amofostine. It is supposed to help with some of the side effects.

It was in clinical trials and am not sure of the results.

As other people said there are drugs to combat nausea and low blood counts caused by Cisplatin

As you know it can be hard on the kidneys so I think you are supposed to keep very hydrated