My mom has Cancer

Hello,

Over the past couple of months I've come to this forum numerous times for support. In February of this year my mom was visiting me helping me to pick out my wedding dress. While we were at the Bridal Shop she experienced chest pains.

After daily nagging from my father she finally went the doctor for a physical. They diagnosed her with Pneumonia and put her on an antibiotic. A month or so later she was still feeling extremely tired and went back to the doctor for a progress check. They noticed that the fluid had gotten worse.

After several tests later, they determined she had cancer. They told her that they felt very confident that it was contained to the right lung only and that they could go in and remove it. While in SX the sugeron did a biopsy of 2 of her lymph nodes in the middle of the chest and discovered the cancer had spread. They closed her back up without performing the surgery. She has been dx with nsclc stage IIIB.

They decided to treat her cancer aggressivly. She goes 5 days a week for radiation and once a week for chemo. She's been doing amazingly well. I couldn't be more proud of her.

My mom is a fighter and she just had her first progress scan. The radiologist oncologist told her that the tumor had shrunk considerably and that she only has 12 radiation treatments left. She also spoke to her oncologist yesterday and he told her that once she finishes up this round starting on August 22nd he'll start her on stronger chemo that she'll do every 21 days until November.

So after a very long explanation I do have a question. My mom asked her doctors if once she finishes up the treatment if the tumor isn't completely gone will they do surgery again. All of them have told her no. They said once it goes into the lymph nodes she is no longer a candiate for sx. I guess my mom and I are just confused. If none of the test are showing that the cancer has spread to any other spot of her body, why can't she have sx? Do any of you know? Or can any of you help me to explain it to my mom better?

I appreciate this site so much, although this is my first post, when I thought I was going to lose my bestfriend this site and all of you wonderful people were the only thing that gave me hope.

Thank you all and God Bless

Angela

Welcome Angela,

I have very little in the way of advice, but the other veterans of this wonderful community will be along shortly with much information and support. They are wonderful!

I wish you and your Mom all the best for an expediant recovery. Sounds to me like she is well on her way!

Warmest regards,

-Rod

It is general policy with cancer treatment not to subject the patient to surgery if the cancer has already spread. Once it has spread from the host, it could be anywhere. Just because it can't be seen doesn't mean it isn't there. It takes only a few microscopic cells of the cancer somewhere in the body to propagate and start anew.

Sounds like your mom is responding well to the chemo and radiation, and that is a good thing. Many people here have lasted a long time with those treatments. Hang onto the hope. Don

Sorry you have to be introduced to this ugly beast but I'm glad you found us. Sounds like your mom is doing great!

Just an FYI...we were told that even though a mass could be showing up on scans after treatment, that it could be a DEAD mass.

Good luck and hang in there!

Karen

Welcome. Glad you came out of the dark and shared your Mom's story. I had chemo and radiation before they did surgery. When they did surgery the tumor was dead and all that was left was scar tissue. I hope your Mom's tumor responds the same. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Welcome. If lung cancer has spread beyond the original site, as in lymph nodes, they do not operate. But chemo has proved very effective for many on this board. Basically, at this point, the assumption is there is no cure. But, we are living with cancer - like a chonic illness.

The radiation combined with chemo is a tough treatment. Your mom will get very tired, so see that she gets an opportunity to rest a lot. Happily, a good deal of the chemo offered today is a lot more tolerable than in the past.

Hope you mom continues to feel well.

Mary

Angela,

Welcome to the boards, although I am sorry that you need to be here. I will say a prayer for you and for your mom. Cancer is such a booger. It makes me so mad of what it robs from us...normalcy, peace, and comfort. I pray that you find these things along this journey.

God bless,

Jen

Angela,

First of all, welcome to our family!!

I was also diagnosed with Stage IIIB because a lymph node opposite side of the tumor lit up on the pet. I had the same questions regarding surgery. My treatment was very successful and I thought surgery was a possibility. Here is what I was told:

Vanderbilt onc: stated that surgery was too risky because of the amount of scar tissue left from radiation. Scar tissue, he said, is like cement and hard to heal once it is cut. He also said that even though the nodes are still enlarged they could be dead.

My personal onc said basically the same thing. When it gets in your lymph system and surgery was not available to you at diagnosis, it usually isn't an option.

The plus to this is that if your mom is responding well to treatment then hopefully all of the cancer will be gone.

If she feels she needs a 2nd opinion, I would not hesitate to get one at a comprehensive cancer center. This way her case can go before the board of oncs. and they can agree on the situation.

Hope this helps and GOD BLESS!

Jamie

I had two lymph nodes to light up in the center of my chest on the PET scan. My oncologist thought they might be false positives, but my surgeon did not. I had 6 weeks of weekly chemo (carboplatinum/taxol) and daily radiation. At the end of that time my surgeon checked my lymph nodes on the surgical table when I went for my surgery. He removed 20 lymph nodes and none were cancerous. I had surgery, an upper right lobectomy. That was one year ago and by the Grace of God I remain cancer free today. If I were you I would seek a second opinion.

Hi Angela,

Your Mom's cancer and treatments sound exactly like mine. It's almost word for word my stage and treatment story. Mediastinoscopy with dirty lymph nodes, rad./chemo for 8 weeks then follow up after a bit of a break for some more chemos...

Tell your Mom that I was Stage 111B and it has been almost 4 years for me without any signs of disease, okay? There is much hope.

I agree with your doc about the lung being inoperable after rad/chemo. My surgeon said it was like a dirty old wore out sponge sitting on the garage floor vs. a new one. It just doesn't heal or give with the scar tissue that forms. Also, like the others have said, some of the microscopic cells probably went systemic somewhere else.

Glad you found us.

Cindi o'h

Welcome Angela,

Boy, you have the same questions that I ask the Doc EVERY time we see him. He's sooo patient with my two year old "Why?" questions. I agree with what the other folks have posted regarding surgery at this stage cancer. My husband had the cancer in both lungs, nodes, mediastinum, etc. He is now clear except for the largest mass in his upper left lung. Apparently once it gets into the blood system, surgery is not an option. Our onc said it would do more harm than good to put him through a lobectomy because, not only would it set him back on any kind of chemo schedule during recuperation, but his lungs are pretty much toast overall after radiation and chemo. He also has emphysema and extensive scarring, so there is not much good tissue left. I'm of the "cut it out" school of thought regarding cancer, so this has been difficult for me to grasp this disease as something chronic that we have to manage over time with chemo, etc. I guess stability is the key word at this stage.

Sorry you are having to go through this, but I appreciated your asking the question and seeing the responses. It is a real head-scratcher...

God bless you and yours.

Welthy

Hi and welcome here. Sorry to hear about your mom.

I have no experience in her diagnosis

Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle. Your mom will be fine. If you are really concerned about an operation search out a 2nd opinion.

Good luck, we are always here for you.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Angela and welcome.

It looks like your mom is making good progress. I have heard of some surgeons doing surgery on patients with your mom's circumstances, but I think most places would not do it. You could run it by a comprehensive cancer center to see what they say after your mom is through with the current treatment. It is probably best to see what benefit your mom can get from the radiation and chemo first.

Another option may be to kill off what is left of the cancer after her current treatment is done using cyberknife. That would conserve her lung capacity, but it would not be a cure. Once the cancer has entered the lymph nodes, even though it has disappeared, it can pop up again a year or 2 later. The odds are much greater for a recurrence. The same chances of recurrence would apply to surgery too for any cancer that had made it to the lymph nodes.

Still, I remember reading of several instances where people who have had cancer in the lymph nodes and later had surgery, are still NED after years. I remember some of the details for one woman, who while on the operating table, the pathologist found cancer in the lymph nodes. The lady said that the surgeon completed the surgery anyway (a pneumonectomy I think) and she is still cancer free after 5 years or so. It is outside the standard of practice of most places and surgeons to do this though

Don M.

Hi Angela. Doc wouldn't do surgery on me either after I went into remission. I wish it were out of me, but I every day I thank that man upstairs that he's given me another day.

Your mom is a fighter who is loved by many. She's incredibly lucky to have someone like you supporting her. She knows that. Keep it up because she needs that.

Darrell