Cyberknife to liver met

angelofcharlie20

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience with this? My father is undergoing the preliminarly procedures for cyberknife and I'm hoping and praying that it will be beneficial.

Doctors have said that since his cancer his terminal this or any other procedure won't cure him and the cyberknife will only ease the occasional pain he feels in the liver region. I understand that this is not a cure, but my thinking has been, if we get the liver mets taken care of - well at least he won't have more serious liver complications.

By the way, the liver mets have been the most active. They are the ones that tend to grown when the cancer is progressing.

A penny for your thoughts.....

Best,

Shirley

I really wish Ken had had CK on his liver tumors. He had 2 surgically removed, and then 3 months later had multiple tumors. There were 2 primary ones that eventually merged to one giant one. I know it would not have been a cure, but if we had stopped those 2 I know we would have had more time since the rest were all still pretty small. You can have a lot of your liver compromised and still function fine. Despite all his tumors his liver function tests were o.k. until about the last 6 weeks. I think it is really a good idea for your dad. I hope it turns out well, please keep us updated.

Karen

Hi All,

Thanks to those who have replied. It seems that the use of cyberknife is pretty new and that folks on the forum haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'll definitely keep you all posted on how it all goes.

My father went to his second appointment today in which they did a CT scan to see if the seeds are in the right place. He has the procedure scheduled for Aug. 4th, then he has appointsment on Aug.7th, 8th, and 9th. They're not sure how many days of those he needs to go in, but that's quite a series of them.

Thats all Folks,

Shirley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here's a long overdue update......

My father had a three part treatment with cyberknife. The first was on Aug. 4th that lasted about three hours, the second was on Aug. 7th that lasted two hours and today which lasted three hours.

My father said that all you do is lay there and the robot does all the work. He says that the robot arm just goes and does it's thing.

The side effect that is hitting my father is the fatigue. I guess his dose of radiation was quite high, too high for them to treat another problem area in additiont to the two tumors they already treated.

He's also had a low fever on Aug. 4th, 5th and 7th. The fellow explained that it could be a number of things ranging from infection to necrosis. Right now it's just watch and wait.

The follow up CT scan to see if everything worked is on Sept. 12th. Crossing all my fingers and toes.

Best,

Shirley