Just wondering

beckyg

I have wondered for months about this, and thought I would see if anyone knows an answer. As I have posted before, during my mediastinoscopy in February, I had a hemorrhage which caused the surgeon to crack my sternum and open me from the front to stop the bleeding. (Now every time I get a scan, the radiologist comments about my "heart bypass" because of the wires holding my sternum together.) So I have had the recovery from major chest surgery that is slightly different than what so many have been through here with tumor removal. Here's the question--why is the lobectomy and pneumonectomy done through the side instead of the front? My broken sternum seemed harder in the beginning--I was in ICU longer than seems to be the average here, and I was out of the hospital "quickly" in 6 days. I couldn't drive or ride in the front seat for 6 weeks (because of the air bags--physically, I was able to handle the strain of driving much sooner), and couldn't lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for six weeks. So the beginning part was pretty bad. BUT, I can wear a bra comfortably; I don't and didn't have movement difficulties with my shoulders. I have a sensitive spot on my sternum where it didn't heal completely smooth, but I have all my ribs. It is just my perception from my experience and what I have read that my surgery was harder in the short term, but I have fewer long term problems.

Becky,

I love your new picture! When I saw my surgeon last week, I told him about what had happened to you during your mediastinoscopy. He couldn't understand why you still were not a candidate for surgery? Was it the radiation? If so, can they not use glue to seal te lung after surgery. Plus have you heard of RFA to get rid of tumors when surgery is not possible?

Cheryl

Cheryl,

The reason, according to the surgeon, that he didn't go ahead and remove my lung at the time was because my tumor was "too close to the bronchus." The reason I am not considered a candidate for surgery at the moment (according to doctors I am in the process of replacing) is that I had too much radiation. Also, last time I was in Houston I had a malignant pleural effusion, so I was not a candidate at the time because of that. I am in the process of getting CT's to a doctor in San Antonio who does RFA in the lungs to see what he thinks. We have e-mailed a couple of times, and he cautiously says that based on what I can tell him, I might be a candidate. But he won't say more than that until he sees some films. Right now I am still short enough of breath that I kind of jealously guard all the lung capacity that I have, so the thought of actually removing part of my lung makes me more nervous than it did a couple of months ago. Not that I wouldn't go through with the chance to get this tumor out of my body if someone would give me that chance, but I am so tired of having to tell my daughter, "Not now. Mommy has to catch her breath."

I am also working (slowly) on getting a referral to MD Anderson to see what they think. Some fries went to a conference there this weekend and collected everything they could find on lung cancer for me. One of them talked to the doctor running the lung cancer session on Saturday about me, and he told her to have me e-mail him. I did today, and maybe I'll hear back from him before long. It might even motivate me to make all the phone calls I need to make to get all the records sent to the right place.

Becky

Becky,

I have wondered the same thing. I just assumed they would go through the front and when I found out they didn't I was surprised. Maybe its because by opening the side/back area they are starting on the outside edge of the lung and working their way in. Also, they stay away from the heart area. Just a guess, but if I remember I will ask the surgeon on the next checkup.

Annie

PS--love the picture, what a beautiful daughter.

Becky,

The RFA sounds like a hopeful prospect. I also heard about two promising trial drugs. Avastin, which is an anti-angiogenisis, cuts off blood suppy to tumors. There is also Rareva, an epidermal growth recepter inhibitor. Ask the doctor about these drugs! MD Anderson does a lot of clinical trials. How is the teaching going this semester?

Cheryl

Cheryl,

Classes are going well. I am still having trouble getting my students to talk to me, but that's the way it always is in the beginning of a semester. They are so worried about looking stupid in front of their classmates that they won't answer anything, and right now I am asking easy questions!

I have heard about the drugs you mentioned, and I have also heard some good things about Alimta, and there is a clinical trial right now at MD Anderson involving Alimta that I seem to meet the requirements for.

We are ehading out of town this weekend--my brother-in-law has a new girlfriend he wants us to meet, and one of my oldest friends is having a baby shower. Some weeks I think I am too mean for things like baby showers, but this week I am nice again, so I'll make the drive out there.

Becky

Hi Becky,

I don't have all the answers to your questions, but I did have my lobectomy incision done through my side -- The first surgeon I consulted with was going to go in through my back, under the shoulderblade. The second surgeon told me that the "standard procedure" used to be to go in through the back, just under the shoulder blade, but they have learned that it is less trauma to the nerves and easier to get in through a side incision.

It's been 8 months since surgery and I still have some numbness in that area, but overall, it hasn't really affected anything too much.....except for the fact that I have 1/3 less lung! :wink: