Radiation Question

Judy-OK

I only have 6 or 7 radiation tretments and 1 or 2 more chemo treatments which will complete my first round. They will then to anoter cat or pet scan to see what we have been able to accomplish. And then if necessary I guess we will formulate a new attack plan. My question is ... I had a neighbor tell me that once they have done 6 or 7 weeks of radiation to a particular location that they will not be able to do additional radiation to the same spot. My tumor is upper right lobe which probably does not make a difference. Thank you for any help or insight.

Judy In WAY TO HOT TO BREATH Oklahoma

Judy,there is only so much radiation you can have in a designated area.

The radiation and chemo continue to work for a while inside your body even after the treatments are finished.

I had good results with the radiation and chemo together.Hope you also have good sucess.

"Judy-OK"] I had a neighbor tell me that once they have done 6 or 7 weeks of radiation to a particular location that they will not be able to do additional radiation to the same spot.

Judy In WAY TO HOT TO BREATH Oklahoma

Judy that is true! Radiation continues to work for 6 months or more after you complete your treatments.

Best of Luck To You! Keep us posted.

And I'm with you on it's TO HOT & HUMID TO BREATH IN MINNESOTA :roll::wink:

There is a maximum amount of radiation that can be used, but that is not to say that they cannot re-radiate if necessay. It depends on the dosage. I had a spot done on my lumber spine - with 10 treatments. My rad onc said that they may need to redo it if/when it causes me pain. (It's hurting a little bit now - but I'm not ready to radiate yet).

Radiation works for some time after completed. It took 8 months or so for my clavicle to feel normal again. And they say for brain, things like necrosis can occur from 6 months to 2 years after radio surgery.

Mary

Hey Judy!

I'm in Way Too Hot to Breathe OKC-- I hear ya! I think we are a mile from the sun here.

Other people will know more about the radiation question than I do. Mom's radiation was on her skull. She hassn't needed more yet, but I don't remember them saying there was a problem with it if she did. I know the Drs agreed that it would damage the 'good' part of her lung (where the cancer is, somewhat ironically) if they did radiation at all there, so maybe the lungs are just very sensative.

Good luck with it, and keep us informed! I'll be praying for ya.

:) Kelly

As others have said, as a general rule, radiation is only done once in an area, because it causes damage and scarring to the healthy area. That is one reason why doctors are reluctant to radiate an area unless it is threatening life, or causing further damage, or very painful. Also, radiation can damage delicate areas (my wife had radiation to the right skull, and it has caused hearing loss in the right ear). Hang in there. Don

I also agree, radiation can only be done once since most doc's use the maximum the first time. The pain will go away in time so hang in there. I also sometime called radiation recall a year after my radiation and my chest and bask turned real red in the same pattern of the radiation. My onc said was his first time to see that my I did receive radiation 2xday for 15 days straight. I hated it but it did help save my life.

Stay strong and keep the feet moving.

God Bless

Don