Shortness of Breath

betty boop

I have been experiencing shortness of breath more than I usually do. I wonder if I haven't over done it this week. I worked about 8 hours a day this week instead of every other day. With lung cancer stage IIIb, I guess even though the docs say I am improving, I need to take it slower.

Just wondering if you all feel the same way. I got a little scared last night and wondered if I needed oxygen or something. But, I went to bed and rested and seem better today.

Life changes with lung cancer whether we want it to or not. I want to go and go and go, without being short of breath.

Today is my 43rd birthday.

Betty Boop

Hi Betty, Happy birthday! I hope your 44th year brings joy and good news.

Shortness of breath is one of the worst symptoms to tolerate; it robs you of your energy. The research shows that one of the best ways to restore your energy is regular exercise. This means not working to where you are worn out, but doing regular strengthening and aerobic (cardiovascular) exercise to build up your strength and endurance. Also make sure you are taking your medications properly; if you are using an inhaler, check with your dr. or nurse; often people are not using inhalers correctly. Visit here: http://familydoctor.org/040.xml for good instructions in using a metered-dose inhaler (not the dry powder type of inhaler).

Pace your activities so you don't become exhausted. And gradually increase the exercise you do; you will find that over time your endurance and strength improve. Even lifting your legs while watching t.v., or simple arm exercises using a can of beans as a weight will help! And if your medications are not adequate, talk to your health care provider.

Best of luck to you. - Teresa

Congrats on 43 and looking forward to many more ahead of You. If it continues after you slow down You may want to see your Onc and let him know next time you see him just to be on the safe side.

Hi; I use inhalers for pretty severe SOB...lost one lung to this godawful disease. It hits me with even brief physical exertion and its a bit scary how it takes so long to regain my wind.

Inhalers definitely help with this problem, and docs are usually quite willing to prescribe them...albuterol, atrovent, etc. Worth trying it, should help if used couple times a day, etc. And good to have it around for those days when u wake up all congested and have a hard time breathing, etc.

Ok, take care and good luck...Rich B.

Happy Birthday Betty - Hope it was a grest day.

Taking from our experience, sometimes a cronic cough can rob you of breath. The last time we went in to talk to our Onc about this he said that it was because of the cough but to be aware that Shortness of Breath can also be caused by blood clots in the lungs. He always looks at Lisa's legs so see if there is any swealing due to clots. Also pleural effusion pushing on the lung can cause SOB. Do you have O2 as a back up or do you sleep with O2 at night? Have you had a chest Xray lately? Like someone already said you need to establish a new normal that includes plenty of rest and less work. Practice relaxing meditation. I taught Lisa this but she falls a sleep, but that's good too.

Hope you have many more Birthdays. Chuck and Lisa

Happy Birthday, Betty. Here's to many, many more.

It's been almost a year since my diagnosis, and although I never stopped working entirely, I did modify it a great deal. Initially, I worked 4 hours a day while I was going through chemo and radiation. After finishing that, I added 15 minutes a day each subsequent week to my workday. Its just in the last month that I'm back to a regular full-time day. Fortunately, I have wonderful employers who are fully understanding and just want me to get better.

Don't push yourself too hard and I hope treatment goes well for you.

Trish

Happy Birthdday Betty:

You don't say if you are undergoing treatment or not. Most treatments can cause sob. If I started experiencing increased sob, and was well out of treatment, I would talk to the docs about it.

I have increased sob from alimta. I am not worried about it though, because I can still breathe as deeply as ever. I just have to pant more often. If it ever got to the point where I could not take a deep as breath as I used to do, then I would be worried about alveoli damage.

Don M

One more thing: I'd like to emphasize that new or worsening shortness of breath merits a visit to your onc or at least your family dr. - it could be all of the cancer-related things mentioned above, or something else, like bronchitis or asthma.

Also, avoid irritants like smoke, household cleaning products, hairspray, and allergens like pollen. Stay indoors on very hot days, and when the pollution is bad. Wash your bedsheets in hot water once a week (kills dist mites which are a major source of asthma.) Cover your mattress and pillows with anti-allergen (impermeable) covers. And remember that anything that is aerosolized can be an irritant to the lungs.

Meditation is a good idea. Anything that calms your breathing and encourages you to breathe slowly and deeply. Good luck, Teresa

Congratulations on another year! And many more to come. As far as SOB, it can't hurt to tell you Dr. about it. Sometimes I experience that too, especially when it is humid and hot, which it has been around here. I use Advair and it does help. Please run this by your doctor. Keep up the good work!

Joanie ((())

Went for chemo today, red blood cells low, had an aranesp shot again. It is routine with me it seems. I am doing better, resting more. The doc's pa said it was most likely from the red blood count. White is a little low too this week. I know three days after the chemo is my worst day. I take carboplatin and gemcitibine first week and gemc. the second week with next week off.

Hi Betty,

You and my wife Lisa are on the same treatment it seems. Feel free to PM me anytime. She also gets an Aranesp shot at the end of each chemo session. Since the Aranesp wasn't working by itself the Onc added a bag of Sodium Ferric Gluconate (an iron product). It seems that if you are low on iron the Aranesp won't be absorb. Low Mean Cell Volume (MCV) below 81 could mean low iron. 1 in 4 patients receiving Gemzar complain of SOB. Lisa has a cronic cough which induces SOB sometimes and sometimes she experiences SOB while laying down or sleeping. She sleeps with a low setting of 1 at night with an O2 Concentrator. Sometimes she gets SOB in the infusion room. It seems to come and go. I always keep the small O2 tank nearby just to get her over the anxiety of the SOB. It seems to work. Her bad days seem to also be the 3 days after infusion. Drink plenty of water to counter the toxic effects. She also has nausea on day 1 and day 3. She take a digestive enzyme suppliment because the chemo kills the rapiply diving cells in he stomach. This routine seems to be working; hope it works for you too.

Chuck

Happy Birthday!!!

My radiation oncologist is always asking me about shortness of breath as I do experience it on occassion. I was a heavy smoker until diagnosed in June and always had breathing issues with bronchitus and asthma, since quitting I have had only mild shortness of breath and it seems to be due to the humidity so I know it's my asthma acting up. But to be safe I let the oncologists know if it's acting up this way I don't feel like I didn't give them full disclosure on my health.

Lilly

Hi Betty,

In my case, shortness of breath was a symptom for two different cancer-related problems. One was a pleural effusion. Even after a thoracentisis or other treatment, the fluid can build up and cause SOB. For me, drainage of the fluid provided instant relief.

The second problem was a pericardial effusion. Fluid built up around my heart, keeping it from pumping efficiently, causing SOB and extreme fatigue. Draining the pericardial fluid, and later adding a pericardial "window" provided relief.

I don't mean to alarm you, but SOB can be a sympton of a very serious problem, so pay close attention to your symptoms and see your doctor when you notice anything unusual. Better safe than sorry!

Good luck and God bless.

Kim

I had a ct scan this week and it showed the pleural effusion malignancy is completely gone. The didn't see any fluid at all this time. Yee Haw!!!

Doctors feel the sob was from the low hemoglobin. Since I had 2 units of blood last week, I am much better. I start radiation on Monday. 6.5 weeks, 5 days a week. I may get to stop chemo for time being, meeting with doc at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem this Thursday for last round of chemo (I hope).

Now the only bad thing, I have a cold, my kids have colds and school hasn't even started yet here. I guess the germs are around though. Started on strong antibiotic as soon as the sore throat started, feeling much better and temp never went over 99.

I feel like I have scored a touchdown on this cancer deal. I know just getting through chemo feels like I made a good run toward the goal line. I am feeling really positive.

Hi Betty

GREAT news on the scan! :D Love to hear news like that. So sorry about the kids and the colds. Seems like a right of passage from summer into the new school year. Happens up here every year, too. :roll:

Hope you are back on your feet and feeling great soon. Will keep you all in my prayers.

Chris