tbender

Troy,

Welcome and so sorry your wife is going through this but it sounds as though she has great support from you. I was officially diagnosed NSCLC stage IIIA adenocarcinoma on June 9th. I am currently going through Chemo and radiation. Completed 4th of 6 chemo cycles today. Also low dose (taxol/carbo). Radiation is daily, 5 days a week for 7 weeks. Lymph nodes in mediastinum also lit up on Pet scan, I had a mediastinoscopy confirming the cancer in one lymph node in that area.

I agree with the others, your biggest concern for your wife probably will be the nutrition while going through treatment. I'm getting radiated to the tumor on my right lung as well as the most dose is going to my mediastinum. Has caused alot of difficulty swallowing, heartburn etc. I was given Duke's solution to sip before eating...Numbs up everything but I don't like it and I mostly suffer the pain of feeling the food go down. I have olive skin and have had no issues with burning skin yet.

The Taxol/carbo has given me some allergic reactions and other side effects (all manageable with medication so far). But I have had food taste changes which will make your wife's issues even harder. Food is much less appetizing these days.

Although from your posting, it sounds as though they can keep her nutrition managed through the feeding tube. Important to keep the blood counts good throughout treatment to avoid delays. Keep a notebook with everything in it. I include my pharmacy receipts for medications so when asked I know what I'm taking and the dosage. Also I notice I forget easily all my side effects each week when they ask so now I write them down example today I mentioned the "four headaches". If I don't right them down, I'll never remember.

Also no hair loss yet. Ignore the statistics...I'm not planning on dieing anytime soon and that is the attitude you need to keep if you are going to beat this thing.

Anyhow feel free to e-mail me with any questions. I love this site and all the people on the board, they gave me hope and I'll never forget that.

Lilly

Brought my wife home from the hospital late last night. She originally had a kidney infection and that is what she was admitted for not c-diff like I thought. She got c-diff while being treated for the kidney infection(cleared up). She is going to be taking oral vanco for the next 10 days for the C-diff. Monday starts the therapy sessions, I still don't have to much info on that, the hospital ward nurses messed up the appointment and I could not be there when she actually went for the simulation. That is a whole different story. Just wanted to thank everyone and will now go to the caregivers section of the message boards.

Troy

Troy,

It sure sounds like a lot of mix ups with the nurses and tests and all. I pray that now that you have your wife home again she can regain some strength and begin to fight even harder. Your strength and fighting nature as well as a positive nature will do wonders for her as well.

My prayers for you continue,

Chris

Troy,

I am so, so sorry about your wife's diagnosis. I am so glad you found us here at LCSC, and I pray that your wife is blessed with healing and strength. Be sure to take care of yourself too, as being a caregiver is difficult as well. Take good notes, create a notebook you take with you to all appointments, and I pray for a clean MRI.

God bless,

Jen

Welcome Troy,

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I too am a Stage IIIA lung cancer survivor. I was able to have surgery. Before I had surgery I had 6 weeks of daily radiation and weekly chemo. By the time I had surgery the chemo and radiation and killed the tumor and there was no cancer in my lymph nodes. So let your wife know that the chemo and radiation can rid her of the cancer.

Prayers

Hi Troy!

A Navy man here myself. Ahoy. Sorry you had to find us, but I'm glad you did.

Radiation and chemo at the same time.... I went through that. That was the most trying time of this whole ordeal for me. I had absolutely NO energy. I had to will myself to eat for all I wanted to do was sleep. Keep her hydrated as much as you can. Milk shakes are great for her right now. She may not like the taste of things she enjoyed before. Be patient with her. Of all of the things going through your head, she has the same feelings as well as the non stop pain. But never stopping her love for you because of it. Even if she can't tell you.

We're here for you.

Darrell

Hi Troy,

My father is in a simular situation ... not operable due to a weak heart. Waiting on all the tests was the longest time we've spent since we found out in Feb/06. Radiation wasn't bad for him surprisingly, a few minor discomforts and annoyance of going daily to be "nuked" as he called it. Your going to go threw the most confusing and frustrating right now ..... once the bulk of the questions get answers. Your experience will be turned to "get'r done" mode......hold on to the best sinario you can think of until you are told other wise.

Best of luck to you in the coming days.

Tammy