The cancer has spread.

Jen I am so so sorry. I will be praying that there is something they can do for your father, and that they can make him comfortable, pain free, and retain the ability to go through this peacefully and with the dignity I know he wants.

This is so terribly hard, painful, awful, and unfair. I just HATE cancer!!!

Jen: how awful. I am very sorry it has come to this. I don't know, it may be too late or the tumor may be too big, and perhaps you dad is too weak for the trip, but cyberknife surgery can be applied to the site even if there was prior radiation. They may be able to control or eliminate the spinal tumor.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/default.aspx?c=4

The closest center is in Gainsville, Fl.

CyberKnife Center at North Florida Radiation Oncology

1021 NW 64th Terrace

Gainesville, FL, 32605

USA

Phone Main: (352) 331-1550

Phone Alt: (800) 621-0575

Fax: (352) 331-1558

Don M

Well, the tumor is inoperable. He already has one fracture because of it, and two more vertebrae are ready to go at any time. He will be on high powered steroids and in a back brace the rest of his life. The oncologist wants to see us at 3:40 this afternoon, and both my sister and I are expecting hospice to be called in. While my heart is so heavy, we are still finding little things to laugh at. Daddy told us he just wants everybody to be happy. He also said he didn't want to go any farther with treatment. I guess we'll just wait and see what this afternoon brings. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Dear Jen,

I am so sorry you are going through this. I can understand your Father's desire to stop treatment and as difficult as it might be, one must respect it. Hospice can be a wonderful help in getting through the next period of time.

Best wishes.

Mary

Dear Jen,

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. When I read your post, it put me right back to last year seeing what my Dad went through. The feeling of helplessness and having your heart feel so heavy.

Take some comfort in knowing that your Dad knows how much he is loved and how much he loves you. Be with your Dad as much as you can. I spent every day possible with my Dad...I talked to him, combed his hair, shaved him, held his hand and told him how much I loved him.

I am hoping that the doctors can ease his pain.

Jackie

Well, we went to see the oncologist, and although he told us that hospice is definitely an option, but his recommendation is to at least try Tarceva first. He feels we're still facing total paralysis from the waist down, but we're just going to have to put up with it. He said that of course nobody knows how long they've got, but he feels that we're just talking a short period of time now, but if he reacts well to Tarceva we might buy a small period of time. In the words of my 14 year old..."even a few months would be wonderful." It's a shame that my children have had to face life's trials at this time in their life. When did they become so wise? So, because my father is in his doughnut hole with medicare and we're paying for all of his prescriptions 100%, the oncologist is going to work tomorrow trying to find help with paying for the Tarceva. He still can't begin a new treatment for another two weeks since he had Alimta this past Thursday. If we can't do the Tarceva then he recommends a few treatments at least of Taxotere, but Daddy's so weak, he doesn't think he could handle more than about three of those. So...those are our options, and we're just waiting on God to show us the right route to take from here. Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. We feel them.

jen,

I am so sorry to hear what your father and your family is going through. Although my father didn't have lung cancer, I watched him go through the stages of uncurable melanoma. You have so much love to give him, and that's what he needs right now. Be with him, and love him..... My prayers are with your father, you and your family.

Sandra

Jen:

Crossing everything and praying for you and your family in this!

I sure hope the doughnut hole issue doesn't stop the Tarceva option -- that Medicare Part D stuff can be hard to understand: is your family clear on their affordability with that?

Having Part D carried by private insurance companies doesn't help with the exact details, but generally the doughnut hole is defined as: after $2,250 in total drug costs is reached, the person must pay the full cost for their prescription drugs until they have paid $3600 out-of-pocket expense.

What has been paid out-of-pocket during the initial coverage phase (i.e. co-pays made so far) also counts towards the $3600. After out-of-pocket expense equals $3600, the person reaches "catastrophic coverage" and their cost per drug drops to a small co-pay (usually $2 or $5) or 5% co-insurance, whichever is greater.

Depending on your particular Part D insurance carrier and how much in co-pays have already been made before reaching the "hole", it might not be too hard to jump that gap. "Even in plans where you pay 100% of covered drug costs after a certain limit, you would still pay less for your prescriptions than you would without this drug coverage", according to Medicare.gov.

Hope this helps,

Linda

Jen,

This is such a hard place to suddenly find yourself. I know that God will indeed help you to find the right path for your Dad and your family. I hope that things work out with him getting Tarceva and that it does give you more time. Though there will be many very emotionally trying times ahead, try to cherish this time with your Dad for it will be worth more than words could ever describe.

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers! May God keep and bless you all!!

Cindy

It's important that you show your dad that you're happy in life, and that you're taking care of your mom, just as he asked you to do. You have to put his heart at ease. Not even for a moment let him believe that he's a burden. Of course your children are wise, they love their grandfather and your 14 year old is bargaining. I wish you peace of mind, and strength to deal with this. I'm so, so sorry.

Jen,

You know I understand about what our young daughters have gone thru seeing their grandfathers this way. My girls, God bless them, got thru it, it isn't easy, but with youth comes wisdom! In terms of your dad on new onc. drugs, it is ultimately up to him, my dad made the decision that he didn't want anymore treatment, we had to respect that. I just hope and pray all works out for your dad.

Grace

Hi Jen,

I am also late on this thread as I was away.

I am so sorry for all this anguish you and your family are going through. You sure have some wise children there. But that all comes for the way you are bringing them up.

I could see how much you love your dad as it shows in all your posts. Poor guy, to lose his dignity is devestiging. But he seems to still have his sense of humor and wants everyone to be happy, at least around him.

My heart goes out to you all and pray that they can do something that will give him more time.

Sending prayers your way,

Maryanne