Major Chemo reaction today

Today was not a good day for my husband. He went by himself for chemo treatment, it was his 4th time on this type ( taxol and topotecan). I decided to go up to the cancer center check up on him, our daughters were with us (8 and 11) because we were suppose to go the library. They were in the waiting room, and I went in the chemo area to see my husband. He looked not so good. He went up to go to the bathroom and when he got back, he told me something was wrong, he couldn't breathe! Immediately called his nurse, who called the NP, and then the Onc. they gave him benedryl and some other type of shot ( like an epinephrine) in his port, w/ O2, but he was slow to react. He was so scared, he didn't want me to leave, I felt so helpless!!!! and our girls were in the next room, they couldn't know daddy was in trouble.

The team decided to send him over to the ER, at this point, he was doing a little bit better. They were calling for the EMT's to take him over to ER, I couldn't let the girls see this, so I called my mom to come and get them, took them out to the parking lot and told them their mema was coming to get them because daddy was given some medicine that made him very sleepy and I had to stay with him. Because my oldest had seen the EMT's and said is that for dad, (I told her no).

Once he got the ER he was stablized, the team at the cancer ctr seems to agree it probably was the taxol, but he had taken taxol before w/ no problems. So for now he is stopped taxol, and only to be on topotecan. So he came home, is doing better, but we had a very long conversation today. His options are becoming less and less, his onc. wants him to consider a clinical trial, there is really only one he qualified for ( because of his prior brain mets). So we're going back to Boston to the thorasic onc. to get his input, and to his first onc. for his take.

This was such a difficult day, just when things were going good, then....like I said before we are living moment to moment.

Grace

Grace,

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and your family.

I am so sorry to read about your busbands reaction. Hoping that the docs can get together and the clinical trial will be the ticket to kicking this.

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers

Chris

Yikes! What a horrid day.

I'm hoping the drs can figure out something for you guys through the clinical trials. They have been a blessing to a dear friend of ours. Continue to take good care of everyone--including yourself--and let us know how you are doing.

:) Kelly

Grace,

So very sorry about the reaction business. This must be so hard for you with small children. My Tony almost went into shock one time from the chemo and I know how very frightening it can be. Hopefully it will be smoother sailing ahead with the one chemo drug. Hang in there... that's all we can do. We're all around to support you.

Welthy

Oh Ms. Grace,

I am so sorry to read your post. What a scary day you had. You were so strong for your girls, and I am so, so proud of you. Nothing can prepare a mother to deal with this for their family. Urgh!!! Please know I am thinking of you and praying.

God bless,

Jen

What a horrible scarey day. Iam so glad it is over and he is home.

I know they will find something that will work for him. So sorry for what you all went through.

Hang in there, we are always here for you.

keep us posted.

Maryanne

Grace,

I just saw this. I hope your husband is doing better now and a new plan of treatment can be decided on soon. People can and do have bad reactions to chemo. I always went with Mike, in fact I always drove. It's not always the first treatment that causes the reaction. Will be praying for a new treatment plan for you soon.

Love,

Sue

Oh Grace,

That all sounds so scary. It was such a great coincidence that you were able to be there with your husband. Maybe it was a wife's intuition - now how special would that be?

I'm glad to hear that he is back home now. Let's hope that a clinical trial will just do the trick.

This is all so hard - and your strength is amazing.

Bless you and your Family,

Shirley

Dear Grace,

My husband had a reaction like that to Taxotere, on his third infusion. Couldn't breathe, turned red, and almost passed out. They tried again the next week by loading him up with more decadron and benadryl. Almost instantly he had the reaction only worse this time. Benadryl by i.v. snapped him out of it both times, but it scared the heck out of both of us. Don didn't scare easily and it rocked his boat pretty good!

Glad they got your hubby stablized. You sure can't mess around with those drug allergies.

Love,

Peggy

Boy Grace I can understand your fear. My Johnny had a reaction to the Carboplatin. That didn't hit him until the evening. In ten minutes he went from feeling like an ice cube to a temp of 104. Scared the you know what out of me. Especially when his blood pressure plunged but a shot of something brought him out of it. That is a experience we never forget. I can hardly imagine what it is like for the patient :!: