The Peter effect

Just saw on the ABC morning news a discussion about how many emails and correspondence they got about quiting smoking after airing that Peter Jennings had and later died of lung cancer. They did not want to say point blank that it was difficult to quit smoking. They were giving hope, saying that the patch, gum, Wellbutrin, etc were very good tools to help you quit. They implied that many don't use any tool and fail. They gave stats on the percentage that tried but went back to smoking. I could not find it at their web site yet. Did any one else see it?

Donna G

Donna,

I saw it too. The info that stuck out to me the most was that the more you try to quit, the more successful you will be. While this seems to be a no-brainer, it also makes sense in the long run!

I have a sister, and sister-in-law who are actively quitting...it is a tough road, but we are there for them, and they are doing great!!! My brother also quit 3 years ago, and told us all at Christmas. I told him that was by far the best gift he could ever give me!!

It was on the news again this evening. I had missed them saying this morning that today is the first anniversary of Peter Jennings death.

This evening they also said the states collect up in the Billions of dollars from cigarette taxes and only spend less than 3% on prevention, the rest goes in their general budget.

Donna G