Blood Transfusions

lisag

Hi--I was just wondering how common it is to get blood transfusions during treatment? My father needed 2 units prior to rounds 5 and 7 of chemo, due to low hemoglobins. His hemoglobins/RBC/WBC all drop the second week after chemo, and normall jump up by the time he's due again. But twice now they've decided to give him a boost via a donor. I'm hoping it is just to ensure chemo won't be delayed. The nurses/doctors say this is totally normal, but I haven't heard much so I thought I'd double check with you guys!!

That's the only things that seems like a "bad sign" these days. The tumor is gone, weight is normal, appetite strong....but the blood thing has got me worried. Thanks!

My husband had two transfusions while undergoing treatment. He did feel much better after each transfusion. I think it is fairly common for patients to need transfusions.

Deb had so many transfusions she didn't have any original Blood Left. Every one Elses bloosd instead. not sure why they do it that way. Some times give injections to boost blood counts.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I figured I was just torturing myself...looking more into it than I needed to. I know he feels a bit "disappointed" in himself when he needs blood, wondering if he's doing something wrong, so I'm sure it will do him good when I can honestly say it is normal. Being my dad, he knows when I'm saying things just to make him feel better versus the honest truth!

Take Care!

Lisa

Lisa,

don't worry about it, as you can see transfusions are just par for the course! my husband has already had one blood and one platlet transfusion, and it wouldn't suprise me at bit if he need more.....

Tell your dad that it is not ususual, and that now he knows the chemo is doing it job ( beside killing the bad cells, it takes the good as well)

Grace

This is a good topic. Many of us and our loved ones have received the gift of blood. When I was having transfusions, I was humbled by the altruistic thoughtfullness and effort of a complete stranger.

Please, if you are able to donate, put it on your calendar to give this precious gift of yourself.

We are all grateful for you.

Cindi o'h