Some suggestions-sick from chemo

Nancy B

Hi guys, haven't been on here much. I have radiation every day and chemo every Thursday. We have tried (lst time) Emend and Zofran, besides what they put in the bag with the fluids. Extreme nausea Friday, Sat and Sun. Next time, Zofran and went in the next day for extra fluids and Aloxi. Still sick, can't eat for 3 days, vomiting Sat night and Sun morning.

My onc doc told me that Cisplatin is worse as far as nausea goes - he wasn't kidding!. I can't even watch a food commercial on tv. My onc nurse said it is hard to force yourself to eat anything when you are ready to "toss your cookies" all the time.

I average a yogurt and maybe a piece of toast by Monday morning, but that is it. I did get a Boost down Sunday night. I am feeling really weak, but that may be from the chemo/radiation combo. Anybody got any suggestions?

I am sorry I haven't posted, but I think about you all and pray for you daily.

Love and hugs,

Nancy B

Hi Nancy

So sorry to hear how icky you are feeling. I wondered how you were, but was hoping for better news.

I can only suggest what worked so~so for Brad. He managed Pedialyte, (made for babies with diarrhea and vomitting) and crystallized ginger. He had such issues even with the anti~nausea meds that out of desperation he/we tried everything we could think of.

Hopefully this will be of some help to you.

Sending prayers and positive thoughts!

Chris

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry.

I am sure you know all the basics on what you should try to eat -- and you have done the Zofran, Compazine, etc.

One random thought -- what about trying the morning sickness tricks. Those really sour Prego Pops? raw ginger? Don't mix liquids and solids at the same time, etc. Sounds trite...but I am sure you will try anything. I had such bad morning sickness that i was hospitalized - the one thing that helped me somewhat -- Sea bands -- the bands you use for sea sickness...I NEVER took them off, in fact, I still have scars on my wrists from them! I also bought the electric current one as well.

The other pregnancy trick is vitamin B-6 mixed with Sominex (the over the counter sleeping stuff.)

I am so very sorry...you are going through enough without this.

Oh Nancy, I am so very sorry. I know of no tricks to help you, but just wnated to let you know I've been thinking and thinking about you. I know you will do whatever you have to do to get through this and come out on the other side. I will do my part through prayer and good good thoughts, friend. Sometimes this life can be a challenge, don'tcha think? And some get WAY more than their share. I am in your corner and supporting you.

Love and very tender pats on the back,

Kasey

I had Cisplatin too but as a replacement for Carboplatin. The vomiting was under control by the time of the change over but the nausea lasted throughout both types.

I used Anzemet daily - no interuptions at all between tx - which pretty much controlled it. I took Ativan for breakthrough nausea and ate a boat load of ginger cookies in between meals.

I also found that once the vomiting was under control I couldn't let my stomach get empty, this would guarantee nausea and no way could I eat a meal. I guess I grazed more than anything else and also ate a lot of Saltines.

I wish I had the magic bullet for you Nancy, I think the puking part was the worst part of it all.

Take care

Geri

My mom's hospice nurse recommended her taking 20 mg of compazine every moring upon rising whether or not she was nauseas. After about three days it works and I am happy to say her getting sick finally stopped. We tried Zofran, compazine, etc. when she got the feeling that she was going to be sick. She goes for chemo once a week...on the day of chemo she takes the compazine in the morning then when we return she takes 20 more then 20 at night and do the same the next day...then we go back to 20 just in the morning. Her nurse said this really has helped his patients quite a bit. And compazine is a lot less expensive than Zofran...which is one less thing to worry about.

Talk with your doctor maybe this will work for you too. Good Luck and God Bless!

Laura

Nancy,

I know that the cisplastin can be harsh, do you think you have a sensitivity to it? because there is carboplatin, as you know. Also are you taking Kytril? that's what they give my husband, he hates it, but was told if he didn't take it, he would be very sick. My husband has compazine, but hasn't used it yet.

Of course you know drink your water, and flush, flush, flush.....

I think you eat whatever you can, a little bit at a time, my husbands' NP told him about the "BRAT" diet he could try -it stands for Bananas, Rice, Apples and Tea

here more info on it:

http://www.ccsu.edu/healthservice/Gener ... atDiet.htm

Just take it easy Nancy.

Grace

Nancy,

I can't really think of anything besides what worked for me....saltines, pretzels, gingersnaps, tea and toast, 7-UP and maybe an orange soda and popsicles.

I feel terrible that you're suffering so much with the cisplatin. I had high hopes that you would tolerate it really well.

Feel better,

Cindy

My chemo was with the breast cancer, so I know it isn't the same. But I do remember the exhaustion with the radiation.

I took ativan the last round AFTER the chemo and that helped a lot. I remember being very happy :wink: and yes, a little loopy, but there was no nausea.

I also ate yogurt, hungry or not. I remember telling God that if my appetite never returned it would be okay with me. . . no luck

gail

The only thing that finally helped Bri w/ his nausea during his tx w/ Cisplatin was Aloxi before infusion and then ATIVA .5 mg every 4 hours.

It took a couple times to hit the right combo but it really worked.

I am so sorry you are sick and wish I could sit w/ you while you try to eat.

Much love and faithful prayer.

Pat

Hi Nancy,

I don't have any experience in that field, but just want you to know that I am thinking of you and pray that horrible vomitming STOPS!!

For neausea, there is an old wise formula the pepperment tea may help. My friend could not find any so she melted a peppermint in hot water, let it cool and drank that and it helped her.

I hope this will be all behing you soon!

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Nancy,

I never took the cistoplan but I did take Zofran as part of the chemo (before it started) and then the decadron. After the first time I got sick, I just routinely took the compazine - even before I was sick. That seemed to stave off the nausea. I didn't have a regular apetite, but I did have enough to eat reasonably - and I never threw up again.

Mary

Nancy, I am sorry you are having a hard time with nausea. I think being proactive with the compazine is the best suggestion. I guess having chemo every week does not give you much time to recover. I am taking alimta every 3 weeks and it causes me to be nauseous after the dexamethasone wears off. I take compazine on the second night after an infusion and use it for the following 3 or 4 mornings and evenings. The compazine knocks me out though, and I don't like that aspect of it much. I also notice that if I drink a few swallows of milk, my stomach will settle down. Fortunately for me, the nausea is not overwhelming and my appetite remains good most of the time. I hope you find something that works so that you can get more food inside you.

Don M

I am so sorry you feel bad. Cancer sucks.

I had a ton of Cisplatin, and the nausea would be terrible at times. I just tried to take anti-nausea meds constantly (Zofran, compazine and ativan). Somtimes, especially nearing the end of treatment, I couldn't keep down the pills and used suppositories for nausea.

Other than that, it helped me to lie still, be in a cool room, and eat popsicles, ice chips and some Boost. When I felt up to it, I would eat "bland" foods like rice, bananas, crackers, etc. in small amounts.

Eating is important to keep your strength--and having something lite on your stomach often helps nausea--but don't feel the need to force yourself to eat. I think that just puts added stress on your mind and body (not to mention the digestive system!). Eat what you can for now. When your appetite returns, as it surely will, then eat like crazy and everything you want :lol:

I know that cisplatin is tough. best wishes--I hope you feel better soon.