Getting to Know You - August 17

Ann

Are you an "animal person?" How many pets do you have? Tell us a bit about them. I recently read an article that says you can learn a lot about a person from the animals they have as pets.

:lol::lol::lol:

I LOVE animals!!!! However, I have only one dog! Always have. Seems I am attracted to LARGE, hairy, mutts from the pound :roll: . Seems that they all have weighed about 85 lbs. too. Teddy is the first black one though. All the others have been some shade of brown. I've had strange mixes too.............St. Bernard and ?????, Collie and ??????, Golden Retriever and ???????, and Teddy!!!! I am sure you can guess from his pic what he mostly is! And just FYI............ALL the little girls in the neighborhood LOVE him. They come running with treats every time they see us coming. Of course the moms are biting their fingernails that their little darlings are putting their hands into this giant's mouth :roll: !!!!!

Can't wait to hear about all of yours!

Kasey

I have a cairn terrier named Yoda - he's small, furry and a delightful couch companion.

But in two weeks, when my daughter and son-in-law move in with us, my grandcats will arrive - Bishop and Ripley. They are named after the characters in the movie "Alien". We are hoping that living with the cats and Yoda will not be an alien encounter.

When I lived in IL with my husband, we raised and trained hunting dogs - specifically Brittanys. I personally believe that all clothing is enhanced with a wee bit of pet hair as an accessory!

:D

Pam

I am a true dog lover. When our Bichon "Angel" died 1 1/2 years ago at the beginning of Dec. My mom purchased a Yorkie for our Christmas gift---We love her to death named her "lexi" and then the girls loved her so much they bought another one last Dec. and named her "luci". They have helped tremendously with the loss of my mom. She was a dog lover as well. The two of us could not go into a pet store, because we had a hard time saying no. I think I will always have a dog. You can tell them anything and they don't repeat it!!!

Connie

I am a dog person. I had a Newfoundland named Chelsea in college, took her to campus a lot -- everyone was crazy about her. When I met John he had a white Westie named Duncan so we had a huge black dog and a little white dog. They have both been gone a long time now. We were dog-less for years until our daughter begged for a dog and now we have a small white mutt from the rescue place named Cody. I would love to have another Newfie someday.

Sadly I am petless at the moment and will probably remain that way for awhile. An animal in my life right now would really change my life style. Often I do not come home after work, but meet friends etc. I am also travelling quite a bit. None of this is fair to a pet.

While Earl and I had dogs in the beginning of our marriage, a collie - Duff, a Brittany - Oliver and a cockapoo - Schmoo, we changed over to cats later on. We had 3 cats all at the same time. TC (The Cat), TOC (The Other Cat) and LC (Last Cat). At one time it looked like we might have a 4th cat. Earl said we would have to name him TD (The Dog) because we already had a last cat.

When my life quiets down, I will get a dog. I hate walking into an empty house, would love to have a slobbering idiot run up to greet me.

OK....when you guys read this, you will think I'm nuts!!! I am an animal lover personified!!! I share my home with 4 cats, 3 dogs and 1 parrot. My Dennis was a great cat lover. All of our older cats had died a few years ago and we had both vowed there would be no new ones. But...in October, 2001, the fall before Dennis was diagnosed, we changed our minds. We adopted two little gray kittens that had been litterally "thrown away". Those two are Jake and Spencer. Then, when Dennis was ill, a siamese came "knocking" on our door in the middle of a rainstorm, wet and hungry. We tried to find his owner but had no luck. Dennis decided that he should be allowed to stay...so we named him Buddy. Then, my son fell in love with a shelter kitten, just after his Dad died. This tiny little girl is Miss Morgan. In addition, I have two doxies, Harley and Morgan and the golden retriever, Tanner Dog. Oh...my yellow naped parrot (18 years old) is Zorba. So, if anyone ever wants to visit a zoo, just come to my house.

I have one cat named Lucky and the only reason I have

one is she barley tolerates it when I pay attention to Alan. she will jump on my

shoulder and wrap herself around my neck in a very possive manner :?:roll:

so another cat will not be tolerated.

my mom had a ranch for 7 years so I had 2 horses, the

ranch itself had 5 cats, 4 dogs and a total of 10 horses.

My sister has 2 cats, 1 dog and 2 rats. And my Dad has a Beagel named Sammy. we are animal people

I love animals, any kind of animal (unless it has scales :? )

I have 2 cats, an all black cat named Norman (named after Norman Bates from Psycho) and a grey and brown tiger kitty named Vladimir (Named after Vlad the impaler, the inspiration for the story Dracula).

Keith was never a pet person, as he was a complete neat freak and hated how pets always get things messy and "ruin" things. But, I have the inability to refuse an animal especially if it is in danger of Euthanasia. So, when I brought the cats home I always let him name them so he had a special bond. He was a big horror movie fan, so they were always named for characters in horror movies. As it turned out Vladimir was Keith's baby. He was on his lap from the moment he was home until bed, where he slept at his feet. Keith loved that cat, and the cat loved Keith. He used to sit by his head and lick his hair like Keith was his kitten.

We also had a doberman for a while named Regan (from the Exorcist). I am really a big time dog lover even moreso than cats, but am not home enough to care for one right now.

But now, I've had to take in a roommate, and he came with a black lab doberman mix named Java. So, I get a dog without the responsibility of having to care for it.

I am a huge animal lover. Dogs are the best--I grew up with a sheep dog, then a golden lab/retreiver mix. Now I have 2 cats--I prefer dogs but my husband are not home much and cannot give dogs the kind of life they deserve right now. When we have kids--we're getting a dog. I told my husband that in my life, they come as a package.

Growing up we had an iguana. That was fun if only for the fear-factor!

Currently 1 - 15 yr. old kitty named Cassiopeia (Cassie) who was the runt of the litter. Our previous cat was Andromeda, so Cassie being a runt, we figured a constellation name was big enough for her.

Also 1 - 14 1/2 old Australian Shepherd named "Little Miss Kodiak" or Kodi for short. Her father was named Bear and she looked just like him. Our last dog was "Sweet Mollie Malone" (Mollie) and she was a Sheltie.

We've also had a variety of fish, birds, and even bearded dragons over the years. Always believed kids should have pets. I drew the line with home visits when my son bought a python at college!! He could come home, but the snake had to stay away!!!!! :shock:

We've had cats and dogs and both. Our last cat (1986) thought the top of my car was her litter box. I know it was her because the car was always in the garage in the winter in MI. I discovered the problem when I parked the car - the only Ford in Portage, MI with bumpter stickers for the local high school, Northwestern Univ., and MSU - at the local grocery store. Anyone who saw it knew it as our son's car. Apparently, none of his friends saw it, as he never mentioned it to me. Before we moved to VA, we found a good home for "Kitty."

Our first dog was Sara (1980 - 1992), an English Springer Spaniel. Then we got a Golden Retriever (1984 - 1996) for one of our sons. The older he got, the less he considered her "his dog." Fortunately we loved Cassie. Next, was a chocolate Labrador Retriever (Jenna - 1992 - 2001)and then a black Lab (Abby, 1996 -) They were from the same breeder in MD and had the same parents - different litters. The breeder has written several dog training books - they're very, very good. When Jenna died (cancer)we were going to get an "almost Westminster" quality Golden Retriever. I was volunteering at the local animal shelter. One day a 4 mo. old male GR was brought in. His first owner had died; the second one only had him for a day before taking him to the shelter. He had a good GR temperment and had been to puppy school. I just couldn't leave him there and let some family who didn't appreciate his training take him home. So, currently we have Abby and Bailey. Bailey isn't the name I would have picked, but we didn't want to change his name.

I love dogs - especially big ones. Our neighbors have 3 Golden Retriever show dogs and a Great Dane who turned out to not be the show dog they were hoping for.

Muriel

I'm a dog person! We have a tri-color miniature Austrailian Shepherd named Bailey (4 years old) who keeps us very safe and loves tennis balls.

Unfortunately, my daughter is a cat person. She got Murray, a little grey guy 6 years ago for her pet. The darn thing sleeps in our bed, though, no matter how hard we try to get her to sleep with Tay.

We have about 20 fish in a 100 gallon aquarium. Talk about low-maintenece pets!

:) Kelly

We have a cat who really thinks he's a dog. He's black and white and his name is Smudge - he has a black spot on his nose that looks like dirt.

He answers the door bell (once when it was on TV!), follows us around and always talks a mile a minute.

One of the places of the moment is next to the computer or on the desk under the halogen lamps......how warm is that.

In the winter he sits on the hearth with his nose about 2 inches from the glass watching the flames until he's baked and then gets into his bed for another nap.

He's my company when my DH is out of town but can't seem to get the mouse thing down properly, we still have to put out traps as he loses interest as soon as the mouse stops moving!!

Geri

Mitzu, I have a Mookie also! Only mine is a boy-cat. He was named after Tillamook, the Oregon Native American tribe, and after Tillamook cheddar because we think it's the best cheese on earth (bet you can't find another person who named their pet after cheese :) .) Mookie's a handsome silver tabby. I have girl kitty named Crystal, who is both more responsible and braver than the 2 boys. The newest addition (3 years ago) is beautiful Elmo, who is part flame point Siamese with beautiful blue eyes. And he is a lover - sleeps with me every night, always likes being held.

All 3 of them were rescued from shelters. :)

You can see their pictures (and a few others) here: http://www.ratemykitten.com/pictures/teresag/

As you can see by the pic, we're a cat family around here!......Besides Mickey aka "Trouble" here , who has the big double-paws front and back, and when I play w/ him, we "box" - i know he's playing because he doesn't use his claws...

we have Sawyer(not pic) ...our "Diva" kitty at 7 yrs old, she luvs to be brushed, but only if she is standing on her table!!!

..but now our daughters keep asking for another kitty or a dog :o ....well maybe sometime..not yet!

Grace

I normally love cats, but the one I've had since 2001 is literally a pain in the arse. I found him in a classified ad, was looking for a grey cat to match my carpet and he (Rex) has since snagged my carpet, ripped the corners of my couch, ruined all the screens on my house and you can't pet him without him licking you. I believe he was feral when I got him as a 3 month old.

Thankfully, it's summer. I just put a bowl out for him and he doesn't bother me much. In the winter he will howl until I let him out and if I can't get him in before I go to bed he howls under my bedroom window at 3:00 AM until I let him in. Grrr, anyone want a beautiful grey cat?

My Dad has a big furry mutt named Bear. In 1993, when he was a puppy, a friend of mine couldn't handle him. My Dad who has always had dogs, was dogless at the time, so I brought him to his house. My Dad reluctantly took him in. Whenever I mentioned he needed to be nicer to Bear, he would say, "if you don't like the way I treat him, you take him!" Well I couldn't take him as I was renting. When I bought a house, I was never offered Bear again.

He has spoiled that dog. He installed an invisible fence system surrounding his 2.5 acre property, he orders extra at the restaurant for him and Bear has every amenity you can buy for a pet.

The spring of 2005, Bear tested positive for heartworm. There was a new treatment on the market that could possibly cure Bear and my Dad spent the $1500.00 to treat him. There was a time during Bear's treatment we didn't think he would make it. One day, my Dad, who was still very fatigued from his own treatment, called me and asked if I would dig a grave for him. I told him no, I'll do it when we had too.

Bear bounced back, now a year and a half later I'm still cutting dingle berries from his big hairy butt!

Great question Ann, I loved writing about Bear and my Dad!

We do rescued dogs...

My Daisy dog was rescued from the North Star Borough animal shelter in Fairbanks, Alaska. Someone just threw her away...my, what a sweet soul they missed out on! Black dog with two white toes and a bit of white on her chest, curly/shiny hair of a cocker and the shape of a lab.

Daisy had to be put down at the tender age of eight, her kidneys were failing and she was dying slowly. This was the last bad thing to happen the year of my diagnosis, the "icing on the cake" so to speak. I lost two grandparents, an old friend, an uncle, a friend of my husband's and my beloved dog...

...and the next summer, we stopped by a local sporting goods store that allows hunting dogs sold in the parking lot on the weekends. I have NEVER seen free puppies there, even the mutts are $200! That night, there were two trucks left, one with these pretty white dogs at $400 each and another with little brown puppies. The three puppies were free, and all were female. Mark told me I could have my pick - and then he picked out the fiestiest one of the bunch! LOL

This little brown "springer/lab" cross is a joy to our home. Cookie enjoys water and swims in my parents' pond and showers with me at least once a week. She thinks she can fly...soooo goofy. Can't imagine life without her, she can always bring a smile!

I just love these *getting to know you* questions but I never seem to get to them... :roll:

We are cat people! About two years ago a nurse I work with needed to find a home for a stray kitten she had happened upon while jogging. We just recently had to put out beloved *Charlie kitty* down (he was 23!) and our hearts were just not ready yet for another cat...but she really was having problems finding him a home so I finally said..Ok, what does he look like? Of course, he was all grey, with green eyes, just like *Charlie kitty* I called my husband and he said..BRING HIM HOME! I did and we instantly fell in love! He was/is feral and not the friendliest cat but he has us totally smitten.

He was kenneled (thank goodness) when our home burned down and has lived the past year with us in this itsy bitsy apartment in town. He cannot go outside because of the traffic so every single night when my husband comes in, he takes him for his walk. This cat waits at the front window and starts talking as soon as he sees my husband walk by the window! He has a thing for my clean socks! Not sure why but he will open my drawer or take a pair out of the hamper and place them right next to his food dish! At any given time of day...there are my socks next to his dish. He also likes to sleep in the bathroom sink and adores running water. If the faucet is on..he laps up the water with his paw and drinks it. I could go on and on but this has gotten waaaay too long, LOL.

My husband named him Charlie the 2nd! Not very original, is it...LOL.

Can't wait to read about everyone else's pets.

Libby

I realized at 32 that I was a cat person, after having dogs all my childhood years. I think if I allowed myself, I could easily become a cat collector.

I presently have a dog named Lady that we adopted as an adult from the dog shelter (I have no patience for puppy messes). We have a black cat we named Snowball who showed up at my house as a kitten 4 years ago and a calico cat around 5 months old named Baby who we just adopted from the Animal Shelter a month or so ago. I did have a mean *ss iguana named Spike who only allowed me to hold her but she died a few months ago from degenerative bone disease. And of course I had my Casey cat who I lost 2 years ago at 16 to diabetes. I don't think I will ever find another cat that fits in my heart like he did... :cry:

Dogs -- I love dogs. Only have 2, a Border Collie and a Black Lab. Unfortunately, my border collie has advanced cancer and doesn't have long to live -- a matter of days or a few weeks at most. It's going to be really tough losing her right after losing my father. She has been my best friend for 14 years. My Black Lab, I love him too, but he is loyal to whoever happens to have food at the moment.

Cats --- We have 2 of them too but my husband looks after them. One was a stray who is now very lovable and cuddly. The other one was going to be homeless because his owner was moving into a place that did not allow animals.

When I retire, I'd like to have 3 or 4 dogs but our municipality says only 2 dogs per household.