Hello

sharonjo

Hi,

My name is Sharon, I am 48 yrs. young and I have stage lV Adenocarcinoma, diagnosed 12/29/05. My older brother (54 yrs)was diagnosed with extensive stage SCLC one week later.

I am the widowed mother of 3 boys(one deceased) and currently have legal custody of my 2 yr. and 4yr. old grandsons. I lost my mom to SCLC in 1991, my husband to heart disease in 2000, and my eldest son in Aug 2005 after a long tortuous battle with Osteosarcoma. One week after my son's death, I took my grandchildren out of their mother's house and applied to the courts for custody because their mother was on heroin, and not taking care of them.

After seeking a second opinion (the first oncologist I saw painted such a grim picture that I thought I would drop dead from fear every time he walked into the room), I started on Carbo/Taxol/Avastin in Feb. After two rounds, I started numerous oral supplements and intravenous Vitamin C. I finished six rounds of Carbo/Taxol/Avastin in May, and am now continuing with just the Avastin. My last scan on Aug 7 showed small spots on my lung that do not appear to be cancer, spots on my liver are gone! I have asked my doctor if I am able to return to work and he has agreed. I am soooo psyched!

I have been hanging around and reading many of your posts the past few days and feel so lucky that I have been relatively well throughout my treatment. Other than minor fatigue and very mild nausea, I have felt pretty good. I do have neuropathy in my hands and feet though, which is a pain - but I can live with it. I am still hoping it will go away. Anybody have any experience with this they would like to share?

Anyway, I'm very glad I found this site. You all seem like a great bunch of people with a lot of love and experience to share with us newbies dealing with this awful disease. My prayers go out to all of you!

Keep well,

Sharon

Hello Sharon and welcome!

I am so sorry to read about all the adversities you have had to face. I am very glad you posted and have joined this wonderful family. You will find that this group of people is just incredible when it comes to answering questions and giving advice and sometimes, most importantly, support and HOPE!

It sounds as if your treatments are working pretty well for you. Your attitude and fighting spirit are, no doubt, helping you very much as well.

Please ask any and all questions you have, and know that someone will be along shortly with a reply.

Sending you prayers of strength and lots of positive thoughts!

Chris

Hi, Sharon, and welcome here. Glad you decided to post and let us meet you. You sure have had more than your share of heartache. My heart goes out to you.

You are on the same chemo as my wife, a 4 year survivor of Stage IV NSCLC. She had one more cycle and then she, too, will go on the Avastin alone. I hope you both have success with this chemo treatment.

Keep us posted on your progress and let us know how we may support you. Don

Welcome!!!!!

Sharon,

You truly are a survivor! I am so sorry for all that you have gone thru. You are correct when you said there are a great bunch of people here!

You are a very strong woman and for all that you have been thru, you will go on.

Some of the physical symptoms you are experiencing is normal, my husband neuropathy hasn't gone away, we don't know if it ever will, but we'll take that over pain or progression of the cancer any day!

Grace

Welcome Sharon,

First off, I am so terribly sorry for all the adversity you have had to deal with. My heart goes out to you.

I am so inspired by people such as yourself. My father has stage IV NSLC and reading stories of courage and success from survivors like yourself give my Family so much strength and hope.

Thank you, and welcome.

Sending you my best and warmest wishes for continued good health and happiness,

-Rod

Just wanted to say welcome!

You have been through so much but it sounds like you have a great spirit and positive attitude which can make all the difference in the world.

You have found a great place to ask questions, vent or say whatever is on your mind. Everyone here has always been so kind and helpful.

prayers for you and your family

Lisa

Sharon,

Welcome to the boards. I CANNOT believe all that you have been through in your life. I am so sorry for all of your losses, your strife, and your pain. I pray that God grants you peace in these days, and I say, "Awesome!" about your most recent update!

God bless and good luck!

Jen

Welcome Sharon. Like Don said, you have had your share of heartaches. I pray that this chemo will continue to be just what you need to keep this bugger at bay. I am glad you found us, but of course, sad that you found the need. If you have questions there are probably those here that can answer about any of them. Again, welcome.

Nina

Welcome Sharon,

Girl it looks to me like God is not finished with you yet and will not be for quite a long, long time. Thank God you are here for your grandchildren. I pray that things continue to go very well for you and your little ones.

Hello Sharon. Wow, so glad you found us. You are a strong women! Sounds like you also have responded well to your therapy. I have neuropathy but it is not nearly as bothersome as it was 8 years ago. That is the key word also, 8 years! I can live with it! Please keep us posted, and also , how is your brother doing?

Donna G

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the site. I'm truly sorry you had need to find us - it sounds as though you have already had some sad things to deal with.

Hang in there. The statistics quoted are just that -statistics. Most of the survivors on the board were given numbers we have already lived beyond.

Mary

Hi Sharon and welcome here. As you can see we are a very caring family.

You certainly have been through much too much. But I am so glad things are working out for you. That is such great news. It is great to get such good news when everything around you fell or seems to be falling apart. At least you are changing those stastistics.

Welcome here, we are always here for you 24/7

Maryanne :wink:

Welcome Sharon,

Life has not been easy for you, but you seem to have a great attitude. It sounds like your chemo has been extremely successful. Congratulations and prayers for continued to success. I just finished chemo a few months ago, so I don’t know if the neuropathy will ever go away. Mine has not. It does seem to be a pretty common side effect of the taxol. But as you said, it is something we can live with. Don’t hesitate to ask questions. There is a lot of knowledge and experience in the group and they are more than willing to share.

Hi 'yall and thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I really appreciate the kind words of encouragement! Thank you too Donna for asking about my brother. Unfortunately after 6 rounds of chemo (Carbo and VP6 I think), he did not get as much shrinkage as we had hoped for, and his mediastinal lymphnode is growing again and causing him pain and SOB. He is now receiving 6 weeks of radiation to that area, and seems to be tolerating it well. He has a good attitude and has been encouraging me to "live strong". We shall see. Thanks again!

Sharon

I would like to extend a very warm welcome from another PA gal. I am very familiar with your areas as I grew up not too far from there. We are a very supportive 'family' here where you can find advice, expertise, or just a safe place to vent and/or cry and/or scream...........whatever you need. Come often and keep us up to date with all you have going on. Give my very best to your brother too.

Kasey

Sharon,

I am also a home town girl. Grew up in Northeast Philly until I moved to New Jersey in 72.

We are having our 3rd annual Lung Cancer walk on Novemeber 5th at Cooper River Park here in Camden.

I hope you can make it as we would love to meet you.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I am so sorry for your diagnosis, but as you can see we are a very supportive group here and we welcome you with open arms.

Maryanne :wink: