Newly Dx'ed in So CA - Stage 3, non-small cell, non smoker

Elaine W

LCSC folks, what a great place to come to --

A few weeks ago, with neither my Doc or me suspecting anything, I had a Routine Body Scan. Since then I've had the tiring rush of logistical things to take care of.

Turns out I have stage 3 non-small cell LC. I've never smoked and was already into brocolli and other good things for my earth suit. I was diganosed in Orange County and began much of the preliminary things down there but have changed to a local Oncologist in L.A. County where I live.

I have the Port-a-Cath in and will be getting 3D radiation. My treatments will begin in about 2 weeks, after what we need to do to set up that radiation.

I have a pre-existing condition similar to M.S. so in a way that will add to my challenges yet in a way it has readied me for things in the system, for working with normies, for finding my own strengths and using work-arounds.

I look forward to sharing more within the forums and from learning from you-all. I have found some of the brightest and best that get into support groups.

What are the guidelines here for talking of a Higher Power, or God, or a Heavenly Father, etc?

Life is Breath-taking, and giving.

Elaine

Welcome, Elaine.

There is a forum for spirituality. Wonderful of you to ask, I'm sure you understand there are many religions and non-religions expressed and in the end, it's whatever gets you through.

One thing expressed here is that the journey sucks, but the traveling companions are first rate!

Good luck to you!

Becky

Hello Elaine

I am sorry you had reason to find this site but very glad you have posted and introduced yourself.

As you explore the site and read some of the stories of others, you will see this is just a great bunch of people. We will be here to help you as much as we can. Ask whatever questions you have and I am sure someone will be along to offer suggestions and advice.

Keep us posted,

Chris

Elaine,

Welcome to the boards. I am so sorry about your diagnosis and the fact that you needed to ever come and find us...but I am so glad that you did. The people here are wonderful, full of awesome suggestions, and a true outlet for the many feelings you might be having.

Pray away there girl! It appears that most people here truly respect the fact that postive words, whether tied to a higher power, or not, are meant as a form of encouragment.

Dear Lord, please bless Elaine with strength, healing, and peace. May she see your blessings, and may you guide her through her cancer journey.

God bless!

jen

Sorry you have to be here.

In case you didn't know, clinical trials are one way to get very good treatment.

It is not for everyone but something to look into.

Also since you are a non-smoker there is a drug called Tarceva that is supposed to work best for non-smoking women.

The only problem with Tarceva is that the cancer mutates and becomes resistent to the drug.

There are newer drugs like HKI-272 that are supposed to work after Tarceva stops

Add my welcome to the others, Elaine. You will note that I, too, was dx'd as a stage 3 and here I am doing pretty darn good almost 2 years later. There is hope for us. And on this board there is support and information to help us along the journey. Keep us informed and we will accompany you along the way.

Kasey

Hi Elaine,

Sorry you had need to find us, but welcome. I think we can all share from each others circumstances. It's always helpful to ask if someone other than me has had xxx. With cancer, one always assume the problem is related to cancer...and well sometimes it's not.

Anyway, we are free to express our religious beliefs without anyone being upset. Prayers are good for all.

Best wishes,

Mary

Hi Elaine,

Just want to welcome you also, and sorry you had to seek us out. But as you can see we are a very informative and supportive group.

You doc seems like he or she has a good plan for you. Keep us posted and know that we are here for any questions you may have or if you just need support and prayers.

Maryanne :wink:

It must be different out in California for here there is nothing routine about a body scan. How very fortunate that you got one! There usually are no early symtoms of lung cancer and so far no insurance company wants to screen for lung cancer. About half the people that get lung cancer do not smoke and thousands of people are diagnosed every year that never ever smoked. I started my treatment with chemo and daily radiation, when I finally did get surgery they told me all was scar tissue. Hope your treatment goes that well. Please keep us posted. Donna G

Donna--out here in the land of fruits and nuts (not sure about the rest of the US) a lot of imaging centers offer body scans where you pay out of pocket and get scanned.

I asked my mom's oncologist about it awhile back, he told me I was asking him a loaded question and when pushed he was like "i'd wait at least till age 40". :)

I did just notice, and I was pleased, that on the website for the cancer center my mom goes to, it says "Are you worried about lung cancer?" and it talks about low dose ct-scan as screening for a certain sector of the population.

Welcome Elaine,

I too am a stage 3 non small cell lung cancer survivor. You have come to a very warm and supportive site. I was so grateful to have found the people here and I am sure that you will feel the same way also.

Welcome aboard this crazy journey ahead. We will make the bumps in the road a little softer whenever we can with Information, Support and Compassion. I am the Moderator for New meds and Treatments. THis is a difficult but beatable disease. We have Sclc Survivors of nearlty 10 years and Many NSCLC who have beat their Doctors "Time Lines For Survival" Their is also a successful Vaccine that will start recruiting in December.

Wow, what an outpouring of gifts!

Thank you for your time and thoughtful sharing. Such a buffet of wholesome variety.

The sayings you gather ... some make me laugh with an Aha!, and others get me pondering.

I'm still slowly rushing through the logistics of what needs to be taken care of and set up. Even letting go of projects and things takes a rush of communications and decisions and instructions as needed.

Radiology: I have an appt this week to get fitted for a body cast for 3D radiation.

Durable Medical Equipment: Because of a pre-existing condition I am already semi-amulatory (use a w'chair in the community) and my earth suit already has had considerable fatigue. With chemo I figure I'll need to be more resourceful due and have some homemade emesis bags around and even some provisions for nature's calls when I can't get up one more time.

Support System: Mine is about 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. On that scale a 1 would be having deadbeat kids and no ability to say no to them, etc. A 10 would be to have 1 or more support people in a position to dedicate a lot of time for organizing things, transportation as needed, had their own life pretty much in order, good communication skills with the medical profession, good research skills, etc.

I am real glad for what I have though. I have a home and a back yard and quite a few friends who already accept me for what I am, and I can go anywhere I want on the 'net. My kids are pretty good and are willing and able to help some. Last night my son and was getting sentimental about sosomething and he began crying. He doesn't look like the type of guy who would cry. My daughter and I are going to have a hair cutting ceremony. My hair is long and thick and she is going to braid it and save the braids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for all the info, like about the chemo choices. I have so much to learn. With my other health issues I have researched and learned enough over the years to talk intelligently with the Docs on being my own Health Care Manager, but this cancer stuff is all new to me.

Love ya all,

Life is Breath-taking, and giving,

Elaine

Welcome Elaine: I recently completed image guided radiation therapy which uses 3d techniques. The intent was to kill the tumor while conserving adjacent healthy lung tissue. As far as I am concerned, you can feel free to express your religious beliefs or spirituality any time you want.

Don M