First flight after surgery

Gina D.

I am about to get on a plane monday for the first time since my lobectomy.

I may be being silly, but is there anything I might experience with the cabin pressurization that will be different than what I was used to when I had 2 whole lungs? Funny feelings or anything?

I am pretty sure my lungs won't explode and I won't fly around the cabin like a popped balloon.. I hope!

:P

No worries Kiddo.

You won't feel any difference. It'll be just like sitting in your favorite lounge chair at home watching a movie. Except for the bad food, lack of leg room, no elbow room, and the fact that every time you put your food tray down, the inconsiderate swine in front of you reclines the back of his seat!

I've flown a couple of times Gina. I only flew around the room a bit when my lung actually did pop, but someone grabbed me by the leg and pulled me back down before I could do much damage. Have a good flight,

David P.

well David, if you don't pop..then I won't! There isn't that much of me to exhaust around the room to start with anyway!

It's Southwest Airlines, so I won't get to experience ANY of those niceties anyway. No food, no reclining seats, no trays, and not since 9-11, but prior, when you bought your ticket they would ask if you wanted a discount..all you had to do was fly the plane! MOO!

One thing I am looking forward to: I won't be climbing over the seats to get out and have a ciggy as soon as we hit the gate! (I have actually looked forward to that since I quit..now is my chance to enjoy watching the smokers panic :wink:

THX Fay, I forgot about the oxygen thing. I am a little more concerned, actually, about being mushed in the aisles so soon after surgery. I am still a little tender. I may bite the big one and ask to get on the plane at pre board. AARGH. I am NOT handicapped, at least not compared to most everyone else that truely is. This is a tuff adjustment for me. Ego...

Gina,

I still have both lungs so unsure of any difference. You two flying around the plane is hilarious! :lol::lol::lol::lol: I flew last week for my sons wedding and like said already no room to moveor SIT! YOU tho are a little thing me on the other hand can barely get the seat belt on :shock: Oh well I agree with the not freaking out due to nicotine fits. Made for a much easier flight.

HAVE FUN

Gina,

I flew to Houston a month after surgery for my second opinion. No pressure on the lungs, just hard as all get out to get comfy in a seat made for someone with legs like a two-year-old, the shoulder span of a sparrow and hips like a fork.... I took my teddy bear with me, just in case I experienced a coughing/choking jag, but did okie-dokie fine. Of course, my brain started right in at take-off with "Watch, you just went through major surgery and now you're going to die in a fiery crash", but I never really have been secure with flying... If God had wanted man to fly, he would have given him wings....of course, if God hadn't meant for man to find faster ways to travel, everything would be closer together! :lol:

Enjoy your trip!

Becky

PS I didn't die in a fiery crash, by the way! Proves my little voice wrong again!

I'm so glad you asked that question! I have to fly next month and was worrying about that myself. Being one of the people who is terrified to fly and convinced I'm going to die every time I set foot on a plane anyway, doesn't help. Now I have added the vision of staples exploding out of my lung and what's left of my lung collapsing in mid flight. :shock:

Last year I flew and it was terrible. A million things went wrong on the flight and it was delayed hours. Of course, not having a cigarette was excruciating. This is going to be great (with the exception of waiting to plummet to the earth) this time because I will not have to worry about going without! Also, if I actually make it there in one piece, the hotel is going to be wonderful. Last year, I had to stay on the 1st floor since that was the smoking floor. Meanwhile, my non smoking peers got to stay on the Corporate floor where you need that special elevator key card to get to and they had happy hour including appetizers and drinks and full breakfasts along with a concierge. Even the rooms were bigger and nicer. So this year, I will be on the 6th floor and no longer treated like a 2nd class citizen.

Thanks, I was going to ask my doctor about flying but felt silly. Glad the board is here!

Debi

47 years old

Stage 1a - nsclc

Surgery June 16, 2003 - Mid, upper lobe removed

Gina,

I understand being a bit leery of being smooshed by other passengers. May I suggest that you wear a paper face mask, and cough a lot while getting up. You would be AMAZED at just how much personal space a cough on an airplane will earn you. I know that this is no joking matter, folks, but the world has become a bit rude in its rush to get from here to there. I don't blame Gina for not wanting to be pushed, or elbowed or shoved, even accidentally. You can ask nicely.....but that doesn't always work these days.

Wishing you a safe and comfortable trip...

Fay A.

Paper face masks.....hmmmm....could draw a little mouse or kitty snout on it! Whiskers and all!!

The coughing and face mask might work to keep from getting jostled, but if you want the whole row of seats to yourself, have an argument with yourself, complete with different vocal intonations....a deep manly voice and a shrill female one arguing about leaving the toilet seat up, the coffee pot plugged in, coming to bed with cold feet...

Oh yeah, lots of fun to be had with the general public.... If there's more than one of you traveling, stop, look up and point (all of ya) and see how many other people start straining to see what has your interest..

Hmmm...guess I have too much time on my hands...

Scared the guys I work with today...went to work in a dress (I normally wear jeans)...had 'em all thinking I was interviewing for a new position...just when they thought they had me trained... :lol:

• 17 years later...

Yes,  hilarious 😂
I was also wondering about flying I had a lobectomy 2/3 upper right lung removed. It will be one year in May 19, 2021. 
I love to travel and fly, but concerned also about flying now. 
Will check with my doctor. 

Crissey 👋

Crissey,

Welcome here.

I had my right lung removed, then two follow-up thoracotomies to repair sutures in the bronchus stump. Therefore, I have chronic pain on the right side of my chest. When I fly, pain level increases because of cabin pressurization. Most airliners pressurize the cabin at an altitude of between 6,000 and 8,000 feet. This is a lower pressure state than ground level and consequently, my (everyone's) chest and abdomen expand. Expansion increases my chronic pain.

I've not stopped flying. Flights under 2 hours are tolerated. Over 2 hours, I take pain medication. You may not feel anything at all because it has been a year since your surgery but if you do, it is likely cabin pressure altitude that causes your discomfort.

Stay the course.

Tom

2 hours ago, Crissey said:

Yes,  hilarious 😂
I was also wondering about flying I had a lobectomy 2/3 upper right lung removed. It will be one year in May 19, 2021. 
I love to travel and fly, but concerned also about flying now. 
Will check with my doctor. 

Crissey 👋

Please repost in new members. The post you replied to is 20 years old!

Regardless....welcome to your new home away from home!

Hi Crissey and welcome,  I had a lower right lobectomy. About 3 months later I took a round trip flight of about 2-1/2 hours each way and had no problems at all. Since then I've had some longer flights, also with no problems. Good idea to check with your doctor. You might consider a shorter trip first, maybe 2 hours rather than 5 or 6, to get an idea of whether you'll have problems.