Wow, so this is the alternative?

I have been talking to her, holding her hand (which she squeezes back sometimes), lying in bed with her, and I did her nails today-it was excruciating to think it will be the last manicure I can ever give her. It was the most real moment of the finality of this. I barely got through it, but I did and mama's got "pitty nails" again as she calls them.

My eyes are nearly swollen shut from the tears that won't stop. Thanks for listening guys. Again, it helps even on days like this to know I can come here and be honest about my feelings.

She is so brave...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori,I am sorry you have had to endure so much during this journey.I am glad your mother was able to tell you how much she loves you.I hope I will be able to convey that to my loved ones when my time comes.

You have done a truly wonderful job of caregiving and supporting and loving her during all this.

Keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers and wishing you strength.

Oh, Lori...

I am so very sorry it has come to this. I tried posting to you last night but something happened to my computer and I couldn't get back on again. I layed in bed, crying and thinking of you, thinking of my own mom, and how much I'm missing her these days. When Stu came to bed I told him about your mom (he had already known of you from me telling him all about you and your mom earlier) and how much I admire you for all you've done for your mom. We are both very lucky to have cared for our moms, and our kids were able to kiss their grandmas goodnight every night. Now I know for sure that my kids will remember their grandma, and how much she loved them.

We've all taken this journey with you; I have cried in the past when your mom's headaches got to be more numerous and painful; I got angry with you when your mom was refused therapy. I refreshed the page constantly, waiting to hear your mom was finally "home" with you, where she belonged. It's very hard for me to believe that it's coming to an end. I am crying now, thinking you are losing your best friend in the world, because I know how it is. These days I feel completely abandoned. I've said before that it seems like you have the kind of closeness with your mom that I had with mine. We had our own little secrets (which drove Stu crazy!) and our own opinions about things, and shared similar tastes. We were a team--crazy together, but made it through a lot during the years that it was just the two of us. My mom had such a vibrant, young attitude despite all of her ailments.

You and your mom have been in my thoughts and prayers since I saw the news yesterday, and will continue to be throughout the day today. I have no doubt that my mom and your mom will meet, and really hit it off.

Lori,

I know exactly how you feel. I have grieved in the last 4 months for the Mom I once knew. Somehow I just didn't think that anything like this could touch our lives, but it did. Losing someone through death is not the only grieving process. When someone's life changes drastically because of this disgusting disease it changes everything else too. Their relationships, their focus and how they spend their time. My Mom and I used to do everything together. Lunch, go shopping, get in her pool for hours and just get up on the floats and talk, or sometimes not talk because just being together was cool. I know how very hard it is seeing your Mom like this and can just say we are here for you. My good thoughts and prayers for you and your entire family.

-Char

Lori, I am so sorry. You've been through so much and still at such a young age. I know your mom is so proud of you, and YOU know that you did everything humanly possible to fight this fight with your mom. She was so lucky to have you on her side! I'm sorry you are losing her but happy she will finally find the peace she deserves!

Hugs, Karen

(((Lori)))

I am so sorry your journey with your beloved Mom is coming to an end. I am so happy and proud you fought for her and that you are spending these last days with her in your home, snuggling with her and whispering to her how much you love her.

In the same breath I say this my heart just aches for you and the pain you are enduring letting her go.

I often tell people when they say that my mom is at peace that that may be so, but I selfishly would rather have her laying on my couch so I could take care of her for the rest of my life. I know its unreasonable but oh what I would give!

You had so many small victories and you can surely bet that your Mom is proud and at peace.

God Bless you Lori...

Kim