Tumor Marker

Donna G

I would like to know what some of the members' oncologists use as a Tumor Marker for SCLC. Steve's onc uses CEA, but the 2nd & 3nd opinion oncologists said that CEA is not usually used with SCLC.

My understanding with sclc the only way it is measured is-limited or extensive. Limited meaning to one area and extensive is it has spread to other organs, ex. liver, adrenal gland, brain, etc. I was told by my oncologist that the LDH usually increases with the increase in the cancer. He gets an LDH with each regular bld work up. My LDH is always high but the only time it increased was when the sclc had spread to the L lung last Feb. Hope this helps some.

Hi Cindy- Steve's onc said that the CEA measures protein a malignant tumor produces. If the CEA decreases, then the tumor is less active and hopefully, dying. If it increases, the tumor is active and probably spreading. Upon diagnosis, Steve's LDH was 223 and fluctuated greatly during and after chemo. Now it is 180, but his CEA Tumor Marker is up from 29.3 to 95.5. He is extended, but all mets disappeared after 2 rounds of chemo. Began new chemo yesterday, after 2 months off.

Cindy - I have that site and another saved that I refer to often. Two doctors said that CEA is NOT used for SCLC, but that is what Steve's Dr. is using. I was just curious as to what else is used, instead of CEA for SCLC. Just curious as to why he'd be using that, if it's not the standard or norm. Always questions.