please help with advice on mom

tracyinva

To sum my moms story up is that 3 weeks ago ..she had pneumonia..they gave her antibiotics and it did not help that much so she came back for that reason. They did a CT scan and found a tumor..they then did a bronchsopsy down her throat..found cells that were benign..she got released with antibiotics and anti infection medicine.

Today is 3 weeks..she went in for a rescan.they said they don't know if she has a tumor or they even said they could have missed it?

I am really confused. How reliable are bronchosopys? This has been the longes 3 weeks of my life. My mom didnt'want to wait for her orginal appt on tuesday so she had her ct scan moved up for today.

You can email me directly at taanderson@hertz.com

I am so worried for her.

Hello Tracy and welcome

I am glad you posted and told us what your mom is going through.

I do not have answers to your questions, but I am sure that some of the wonderful people on this site will be along shortly and have lots of great advice for you.

I will say, most people on here would, I think, definitely get a 2nd opinion and this situation sounds like it would be a very beneficial move.

Please keep us posted and let us know how things work out as well as what we can do to support you and your mom.

Chris

Thanks so much for the support. The waiting is the hardest thing. They orginally told her she had lung cancer when she wet in for pneumonia. They even got to the point when she was being treated if she had a living will. Well that scared her, me and the rest of my family. They did a bronchsopsy at that point. They released her and told her to come back in 3 weeks for a recheck after the antibiotics and anti infection medicine had gone. What would be the difference between the ct scan and the ct scan now? My mom acted like today they didnt know if she had a tumore even or if it was completely missed or what was going on. I'm at work today and it feels like the next few days are going to be hard :( They said they might have results back by the end of tommorrow at the earliest , if not on Tuesday after the holiday.

Tracy: it seems like your mom is getting mixed messages. If she is not going to a comprehensive cancer center, she should go to one. I have heard that bronchosopies are fairly reliable when the test is positive for cancer, but not reliable for negative tests.

Don M

Hi and welcome; see ur getting lot of good advice here...understand its nervous time for you, but all you can do is pursue the course of tests and diagnosis at a good cancer center,etc., and take it one day at a time. Try not to be too upset till u get a definitive diagnosis, at least. This can take some time, so theres no avoiding the wait. I spent a lot of time reading and posting here in the group to calm me down when I was in the same boat. Hope it all comes out for the best for you...take care..Rich B.

Hi everyone, I thought I would give you an update on my moms situation.

She went in yesterday for the doc to read her 2nd CT scan results after the bout of penumonia. The dr advised her that they thought what they are seeing on the CT scan was the result of left over pneumonia. I really dont' understand how they can do 3 ct scans now and a bronchospy and tell her probably just left over pneumonia. I could tell she was happy they didn't think right now it was anything malignant.

She goes back for a recheck in 2 months. I think she thought the worst when she went in. So after all the tests in the past month there was somewhat good news in the end. Thanks to everyone that gave me advice. I have read countless postings trying to understand more about lung cancer.

Another good thing out of it, is that my mom has not had the urge to smoke a cigarrete and hasn't since she has this scare. In some ways, good things do come out of it. She looks a lot more healthier I think.

I will be thinking of you all.

Tracy

"tracyinva"]

I really dont' understand how they can do 3 ct scans now and a bronchospy and tell her probably just left over pneumonia.

No CT or PET scan is 100%.

Another good thing out of it, is that my mom has not had the urge to smoke a cigarrete and hasn't since she has this scare. In some ways, good things do come out of it. She looks a lot more healthier I think. I too am very glad you mom quit smoking, however please know that just because is quit, doesn't mean she not still at high risk for LC or other smoking realted health issues.

Tracy

I'm very glad it all came out well for your mother.

God Bless.

Tracy,

I am soooooooooooooooooooo happy to read this post! I was thinking about you last evening and was going to email you today to check in.

Please tell your mom I am so very happy for the good news. And make sure she does go back for that re~check.. just in case.

Keep in touch,

Hugs

Chris

Wonderful and double the good news. In my opinion as long as they are intending to keep an eye on it and make sure the phnemonia fades completely etc. They are doing their jobs. I'm sure you know a second opinion is an option, but it seems like your Mom is quite happy with what she has to this point.

Yaaaay Tracey's Mom!!!

Tammy

Thanks so much everyone. It makes me almost cry reading how supportive everyone is on here. My mom was going to fight with everything she had if she was diagnosed for the worst and I would have never given up hope on her. I will be thinking of everyone on this board that needs a little more hope and those that need it are happy and healthy for a long time to come. I learned to take one day at a time after this and I think my mom has also.