Any advice for me or my mom?

LauraC

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. My mom is 66 and was diagnosed with SCLC on July 9. It is limited stage and was characterized by a small spot on her upper left lobe and some involvement with her lymph nodes on one side. All other scans were negative.

Started chemo on August 1, 2, 3 with something that starts with an "e" and one of the platins.....carboplatin I think. By the third day, she was vomiting nonstop and was hospitalized on day 5 after chemo due to dehydration. Stayed in hospital for two days. Released but had to return to clinic every day for fluids. Started complaining of leg and foot pain. Foot turned blue and cold in the clinic. Went to hospital and was there for 2.5 weeks due to an arterial blood clot. Could not operate for 2.5 weeks due to low platelets and low hemoglobin. Finally got well enough to operate. Surgery was successful for 4 days but then on the fourth day (her birthday) she lost the pulse in the top of her foot which won't be regained. She has pulses on either side which will probably save her foot, but she will likely live with chronic pain because of the lost pulse in the middle.

She went home on Aug 30 and then starts chemo that day at the clinic. That was Wednesday and she has chemo that day and Thursday/Friday. On Thursday night, she starts losing feeling in her legs and becomes somewhat incontinent. On Friday (today), they are concerned that it is more than tiredness and decide to admit her in the hospital again for an MRI. With the little amount of internet research I have been able to do, I am guessing they are worried about spinal nerve compression caused by more cancer. But, my question is how could that be since the other scans were negative? Can any of this (leg weakness and bladder problems) be caused by just plain exhaustion? She is completely wiped out and on IV fluids since she can't hold anything down. Miserable from pain in her foot and now her leg all the way up in the back. She has herniated discs so could that be flaring up as a result of all this trauma perhaps? I just want it to be anything besides cancer in her spinal column. They are doing the MRI tonight (Friday night), so it must be important since it is a holiday weekend. How quickly do you get results back? Anyone have any experience with this? I have a 9 month old and a four year old and I wish I could visit her every day, but she lives about 2 hours away and it is so difficult. But, if this is the end of life or of life as she knows it, I want to do everything possible to be there. I have been going down about every 3-4 days but I guess I wish I could know if we could be getting near the end. If so, I would be there every day.

I so love reading all your success stories and I so hope that my mom will be one. I know that this can be cured and I just hate it that my mom is going through all of this. Any ideas of how to help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Laura

Welcome, Laura. I can't help you specifically with SCLC, but it is easy to get dehydrated when you are going through chemo. Also, many of the side effects your mom is getting could be due to many things -- the cancer itself, the medications, the chemo. Your mom or someone for her should keep asking questions of the doctors, particularly the oncologist, about what is happening to her. And she should keep them informed of anything that develops. Don

Hi there, and sorry your mother is experiencing all of these problems.

Your mom's symptoms could be caused by several things, I think. It could be related to her disc problem or, or it could be perhaps cancer related. It is also possible that chemo has caused some nerve damage (some chemotherapies can cause this. I still have leg pain myself, although no bladder symptoms).

Whatever the cause, I hope they find reasons soon. Best of wishes to you and your mom!

(can any of this weakness and bladder problem be caused by just plain exhaustion?) I'm going to say NO to that. I going to say it's all Chemo related. Some people really have a HELL of a time doing chemo, and sadly enough, it sounds like your wonderful mom is one of them. Chemo is a very strong poison/mediation and it can cause havoc on our bodies that we can't even imagine.

It's also not uncommon to have to go in and out of the hosptial for some people doing chemo. Better to be safe then sorry. Sounds like you mom's doc's are trying to stay one step ahead. But non the less, they are there to answer any and ALL the questions you have, so by all means, ask them anything and everything. Leave no stone unturned.

I'm guessing she is on VP-16 and Cisplatin Chemo's. These are very harsh meds and generally do work very well on killing the cancer cells in small cell lung cancer. :wink:

Keeping you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep us posted and know we are here for you if you have more questions.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback and kind words. I have been lurking since July when my mom was diagnosed and just now found the will to post.

The MRI scans were negative so no spinal nerve compression. She had some pains which she thought were her heart, but enzymes were normal. They think it is related to pain in her ribs from throwing up so much and from stomach acids from indigestion and chemo stuff.

The on call doc wanted to do a DNR order, but her oncologist said no when I called him. He said he thought she still had hope. So, she gave me power of attorney in case she has a heart attack or something else goes horribly wrong. She is resting tonight (Sunday) hopefully and on lots of anti nausea and pain meds (dilaudid). Ate a little ice cream (one Tbs) and about 3 grapes today so that is better than yesterday. But very weak and very out of it because of the pain meds. Hoping tomorrow is better. If she can make it through this, how in the world do we decide if she can handle this awful chemo in 21 days again? The on call dr says prognosis is poor but her oncologist says there is hope for a cure........so many options to weigh regarding quality of life, cure factor and the idea of how low can you go with chemo. Sorry for the rambling, my loving husband made me a pretty strong drink tonight to help calm me a little.

Thanks again for all your thoughtfulness. I didn't think we would be facing all this so quickly and only about four weeks after her diagnosis. thanks,

Laura

Laura,

Never apologize for "rambling". We are here to listen and help you however we can.

I am sorry that your mom is going through this. This cancer journey is a very difficult road but it is do~able.

It sounds like your mom's oncologist has a good outlook on your moms case and is willing to fight this with her. It may not always be easy, but as long as they is HOPE, it is worth it.

Try some Boost or Ensure for mom, those are full of good stuff that will help her regain some of her strength. And keep pushing fluids. That is so important.

Please keep us posted, ramble when you need to~

Sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and your family,

Chris

It is so important to have a fighting Oncologist rather thatn one that just says Oh Well!? sending PRayers for you and Family. Will have to think about all this. Get adn nKeep anotebook For questions and answers with Drs. Keep us posted.

Laura,

Do not feel bad about rambling. That is what we are here for.

In just reading your postings, it seems that your mom needs more anti-nausea meds. I know my dad had a few of the treatments that really kicked him in the butt, but for some of the others, he pre-treated with anti-nausea meds, and kept taking the pills throughout, at even the faintest sign of upset stomach. He never felt "good" but he also was able to not throw up, and was even able to get some stuff down so as to ward off more nausea and lack of energy.

If you can get through the worst of it, there is just so much that can be done for your mom. I love to share the news that my dad, diagnosed in March with SCLC, is now in remission...while this is wonderful, this is also a very scary place to be. Anyway, regardless, your mom can too be in remission, and I will pray that she is granted that peace.

Someone on here once told me that they really believe that the number one way to get through chemo and all the treatments associated with cancer really involves pain management. If you can make yourself feel better, you have a much better ability to fight, and fight hard. I guess I think this is somewhat true. Dad doesn't like to take meds, but he took what he needed to get him through.

God bless you and I will pray for continued strength, and for peace.

Jen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Um, it is hard to tell what it could be caused from. My mother had lost feelings in her legs, and it was due to cancer on her spine. I am NOT saying that could be what it is in this case,that was just my experience. Please keep us posted on your mothers test result. Bless you.