Exercise after surgery

recce101

Had an exploratory surgery 8/31 and got home 9/4 with NSCLC adenocarcinoma diagnosis, tentative Stage IIIB or IV. Will see oncologist on 9/12. Healing well, feeling much better than expected, wife and I are experienced in caregiving due to parents, we're both fine emotionally. Assembling questions for oncologist, suggestions welcome.

I need exercise, but wife wants me to be very cautious, as expected. I've done an exercise routine every day for 50 years and the unused muscles are bothering me more than the incision. Any suggestions on how far I should go on the exercise? Stationary bike? Arm and leg exercises lying flat on back? Other? Thanks and Aloha!

Ned,welcome to our support family.There are many knowing and caring people here that can help you along the way with this.

In answer to the exercise question,I think you should take it fairly easy after surgery.I have always noticed the body sort of lets you know how much you should do.I usually do that much and then kick it up a notch or two.As much activity as possible is good as long as you don't overdo.

Let me welcome you here, Ned. I'm real sorry to hear your dx, BUT many here are doing GREAT ~ YEARS after such a dx, so be heartened. As for exercise, my WONDERFUL doc told me to exercise and do what I can...........when I can't...................STOP. I believe it too. So do what you can and when your body tells you it's ennough, LISTEN.

Keep us updated as you travel along this bumpy journey!

Kasey

Welcome, I am glad you found our site. When you get your treatment plan on Tues let us know what it is. We have many stage IV survivors here doing very well. As far as exercise, I would try walking first (good for the heart and lungs) and go from there--but add that to your list of questions for the doctor. I think regular walking has helped my husband and others do well.

Rochelle

Hi Ned,

I just want to welcome you here. You seem to have a postive attitude and are ready to fight. That is half the battle there. With all your physical exercise and being in good shape, that is a plus and should help you with this battle.

I cannot answer your question about exercising but what Frank and RY said makes sense to me. I know you will get more responses to your question. Why don't you just ask your Oncologist.

We are always here for any concerns you may have. This is a wonderful support sight and I am so sorry you had to find us. So many have walked in your shoes and even though they are stage IV they are doing just fine. LC is not a death sentence, there are so many different kinds of treatments now of days.

By the way NED means so much here. People here love NED. In medical terms when a person goes for there CT scans after treatments, if it comes back NED that is time for celebration. NED stands for No Evidence of Disease.

So Welcome Ned, and know that one day you will see you name on your results and we will celebrate with you!

By the way, you dog is beautiful. I love were you live, Iam kinda jealous about that. :D

Let us know what the doctor tells you.

Maryanne :wink:

Thanks for all the fast responses. It's not yet daylight here in Hawaii but I think I'll get dressed before anybody else wakes up and walk around the cul-de-sac. This website is much, much faster than the CSN, which has good content but is sluggish. Bandwidth, I guess. Appreciate the suggestions on questions for the oncologist, still looking for more.

[Maryanne] Hi Ned,

By the way NED means so much here. People here love NED. In medical terms when a person goes for there CT scans after treatments, if it comes back NED that is time for celebration. NED stands for No Evidence of Disease.

Yes, this NED thing sort of threw me off until I found an abbreviation list somewhere. Mine is short for the last name, unpronounceable by many not familiar with Czech names. I won't change my nickname, you won't change your abbreviation, so we'll take it as a good sign and try to merge the two.

Hello Ned and welcome!

I see you have gotten some very good information already here. I cannot really add to that but will give you a suggestion that you might hear a few times.

Get a notebook to keep track of those questions you are assembling as well as to have a record of tests, results, notes from your appts etc. Keeping them in an organizer makes it easier to have things in one place for future use.

Please keep us informed of your progress and let us know how else we can help you along the way.

All the best to you,

Chris

Well, I didn't make it out of the house before the wife woke up. She insisted on going with me, which is okay, because she needs the exercise. She leashed up our precious golden retriever, so the 3 of us had a delightful pre-dawn walk around our neighborhood. Now I'm looking for upper body exercise. I have a 15-lb weight bar I've been using for years. Maybe I'll lift it a few times and see how it feels. Incision is doing great, and overall I feel much better after quitting the oxycodone. Standard Ibuprofen doseage does the trick just fine.

Just found your post and saw your gorgeous golden in the picture. I was going to say that a good exercise would be to go with the golden for a nice walk but I see as I read further that you have done that.

The day I came home from my thorocotomy, and removal of my right upper lobe we took my Collie- Mitch- (that we had at that time) for a walk and believe me that was about all I could handle.

Glad you found us. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Hi Ned, and welcome,

I love your attitude, it's very inspiring and it will serve you well through your fight!

Sounds to me like you know your own boundries and what your body is capable of in terms of exersice. Walking and some light upper body work seems like a good call.

My very best to you and your family,

-Rod

Hi Ned,

I had a visit from a physical therapist on my second day in the hospital post-surgery. We went for a walk in the hallway, and she said that I should get up and walk as often as possible. I did, and I think it accellerated my discharge from the hospital. My first big walk once home was the day after coming home (the trip home did me in for that day), and it was a walk around the perimeter of my back yard, me clutching the phone in case I got into trouble and needed to call my husband.

Since then, I've been told every time I visit my surgeon to keep up the exercise and do as much as I possibly can to keep that lung function going. I've followed his advice and feel really great right now.

I would probably take it easy if I were you until you visit your surgeon for your two week follow-up, or your oncologist, whichever comes first.

Good luck to you.

Cindy

Had a very good meeting with the medical oncologist on Tuesday, Sep. 12. Highly recommended by friends and several medical professionals. He reinforced our positive outlook, and there was no discussion of "how long with/without treatment" or "what are my chances," but an open conversation about what treatment is best for me at this time. Will have a consultation with a radiation oncologist and a nurse who specializes in chemo side effects, also get a port installed, while waiting for the thorocotomy incision to heal a while longer. Then about the end of September, start chemo using carboplatin and taxol initially, probably adding avastin for the second cycle.

I'll make future postings in the NSCLC section...

Ned, is your Oncologist Dr Peter Ennever? That was Debs Oncologist and He discusssed things same way as yours. Never a "How Long", But "This is the Plan" I thought that was the greatest thing. Congrats on the plan of attack. Oh the Room where they keep the port a cath stuff might remind you of a Bait Shop with all the hooks and stuff on the walls if it was like ours. :lol: Good Luck and sending prayers.