It would have been a year.

KatieB

It would have been a year ago today that my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. I told him I would bake him a cake and we would all celebrate.....instead Dad is not here, I feel so alone, and it is the one week anniversary since his death.

I could be completely engulfed in anger and sadness today...but only alittle...because I know that dad's prognosis was 4 months...and he lived 11 months, 21 days. I am so greatful for the time we had, for the opportunity to do all I could do for him and love him more than I ever thought I could love, and for all of you who have emotionally walked by my side every step of the way.

I'm still learning how to grieve...it hasn't hit me yet really I don't think, I just miss him so much, but I am working very hard at "looking" like I am ok.

Go out and celebrate LIFE today with all those who love you!

Katie,

As you have always been there for us in our sad and trying times, please remember that we are here for you. It's true, live life and celebrate what was good in all of it. It will be a rough go, I will not lie to you. One day will seem okay, the next you don't even want to get out of bed. Thank God for my sons, they help me to go each day, for they lost a wonderful Grandmother that was with them always. Hang in there, take it one day at a time, and give yourself time to cry and grieve and be angry. We are here for you.

God Bless you and your family.

Dona

Katie,

Like others, I read books, magazine and newspaper articles, do Internet searches, but always come back to this list. The needed inspiration is in the posts of the real people dealing with this disease. And you have been a source of reference on how to tackle this. You have been uplifting, honest and genuine. As you go through this difficult time and times to come, I pray that you be given the strength and love to come back into the sunshine, with that engaging smile and the obvious love that you exude.

Take care and peace be with you,

Margaret

Katie,

You have been on my mind a lot lately. I am so glad you posted. We are all shaken by the loss of Jessie. He seemed to be doing so well at his aniversary party.

How are you holding up? Is your Mom doing O.K.? Please know that you are in my prayers. Let me know if you ever need to talk. I too lost my Dad to LC and realize the difficult times ahead. Take care of yourself!

Cheryl

Dear Katie

I am so happy to see you post, I have also been thinking about you a lot this week. I hope the services for your dad went okay and that you got through everything alright. How is your Mom doing? I know the pain you are in and I wish there was something I could do, I can only offer you my thoughts and prayers and the knowledge that we all care so much for you, you are admired and respected by so many people on these message boards alone. You are truly an inspiration to all of us. Just take it one day at a time and do your best. Your dad would want you to keep your spirits up, you know he is watching over you.

Bess B

Dear Katie;

Just got back from vacation and am so very sorry to hear about Jessie, Please accept my heartfelt thoughts and condolences. :(:(

I do love your attitude, each and every day if we choose we can find something to be grateful for. You have a real knack of doing just that and thanks for reminding me how very important it is.

God bless, be well and take some time for you!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today"

Katie,

Thank you for posting. I was wandering how you were doing. What a miracle to have 11 months with Jessee instead of four. I know you inspired him every day by your tremendous strength and love. I took your advice and made this evening special with someone I love..you are an inspiration to all of us...keep in touch.

Katie,

I am so sorry for your loss. Throughout my mother's journey with cancer, you helped inspire me, gave me hope, and helped me hang in there. Monday will be the two week anniversary of my mother's passing and this is the first time I've been able to get myself to come to the message boards. And I was greatly saddened to hear of your father's passing.

Please accept my deepest condolences.

Terre

Katie:

My 2nd anniversary with lung cancer was Thursday. That's right, 9/11. I didn't celebrate or do anything special, just went out and played golf. Of course, now I am in a new phase of this venture with lung cancer since being restaged from Stage I to Stage IV.

I know you are going to stay here with us, as you and Rick have so much invested in this site. Your posts are always looked upon with anticipation. Your loss has been great and time will eventually heal, but as that wound is still fresh, we, who spend much time here, have reached out to help heal that wound. Many of us are with you in spirit through prayers and thoughts. I know you have found much comfort in knowing that.

I will probably call you sometime this next week to check up on you. Until then, take care of yourself.

Katie,

I didn't know-- I didn't know about your dad passing. I just read it right now and I don't know what to say. I'm crying, I can't hardly see the screen and I don't know what to say-- I've always felt something very, very special for you and your dad... and knowing this just breaks my heart.

I'm so sorry :cry:

Katie,

I am so sorry your Dad did not make it for the one year anniversary. But I know he is with you anyway, and he is smiling down on you - his wonderful daughter. Please accept my condolences, I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope you will find peace in the days ahead.

Take care of yourself,

Kelly

Dear Katie, as hard as it in now to believe, it does get better with time

I know it is an old cliche that time heals, and from what you are feeling now, the aching pain in your heart, you feel like things will never be the same again--and they probably won't---but after awhile, you will think of your Dad and think of happy times with him---

You will go on even though you will always miss your dear dad---

but after awhile, things do get back to normal, although now you cannot even imagine that will happen

so sorry for your loss of your dear Dad--and wish I could make it better

in sympathy

Eileen

Katie - You have such a positive attitude. Your dad DID beat the odds and I know concentrating on that gives you some comfort. I recently read a "Memory of.." in our newspaper about a 28 year old woman talking about her mother who died one year ago. She said, "I felt so blessed to have my Mom in my life for 27 years, yet at the same time I feel so cheated." I think she said it best. I think of my cousin who never knew her dad - he died in a farming accident six months before she was born. I feel so grateful that my dad saw me graduate from high school, college, walked me down the ailse at my wedding, and got to see his grandchildren. I try to think of these things when I get angry at the cancer. There is so much sadness out there, but a lot of good as well. God Bless You, Katie. I think of you often.

Katie,

Ive thought about you every day, I look for your posts to see how youre doing. I just prayed for you in my nightly prayers. I wish we lived closer so I could console you in person. You are special to so many. Im glad you are posting and allowing us to be there for you the best way we can.

Big hug coming your way tonight, my friend.

Love,

Linda

Katie,

I am so glad to see your post. Please know you continue to be in my thoughts. Your dad was an amazing man who put up a tremendous fight with admirable strength. I know you will put this same energy into your healing and fight to bring awareness to this disease. You are always in my prayers.