1 year ago today..

MsC1210

I debated about posting this but needed to let the sadness out and vent a bit. So very hard to believe that life can change, so drastically and so fast.

One year ago today, 9:55pm to be exact, I found out that my best friend had been diagnosed with LC. This is when my introduction to the hell of this disease began and my education about the lack of information, early detection, the rigors of treatments and the heartbreaking realizations about the stark reality of this disease changed my life.

My "story" may not be as in depth as others on this site, my life might not have been touched by this disease as many times or as tragically as many of you, but I do know the hell involved, I know how devastating it is to fight as hard as you can, to do everything in your power to find the answers and feel helpless as the disease takes the upper hand and in the end, wins.

I know how gut wrenching that feeling is to hear the words, this treatment is not working. We have to try something else. I know how completely devastating it is to hear the words, "the new oncologist has told me to get my affairs in order, gather family near, there is not much time left and he needs to know where I wish to die". I can attest to the sickening, sinking feeling of knowing fear and dread as well as total helplessness that evokes. Most especially when I was his only family. And I was not able to be there with him in the end. I know. More than I ever thought I would know. And I hate this disease.

I refuse to allow lung cancer to continue to be "the smokers curse". Too many non~smoking people are victims of this dreaded nightmare. The stigma MUST END. I made a promise to Brad ( A non smoker) the day before he died that I would never, ever, ever stop doing everything I possibly can to help fight this disease and in the process I promised to help those whose lives are affected by it. That is why I am here and that is why I do many other things each day. I will not break my promise. I will never give up this fight.

To all of you here at LCSC, I thank you, I commend you and I am very, very grateful to be among you. Thank you all for your kind words, in some cases tolerance, but most importantly for allowing me this outlet and sharing your support with me. By allowing me to be a part of this incredible online community, it has helped me, as an individual to heal as I make every effort to offer HOPE to those who have come after me to this family. You are all truly wonderful and in all likelihood none of you know how instrumental you have been to me and my well being today. Together, with many voices, I truly believe we can and WILL make a difference. And I pray for the day that sites such as this will no longer have a purpose to serve as the answers and cures will be found and ALL CANCER will be just a bad, bad memory.

My love and thanks to all of you.

Chris

Thanks For sharing that with us! I undersdtand a lot of that post Chris, and remember as long as there is hope, there is reason to fight this and keep going forward. I do believe that. Thank you again. Prayers for strenght.

Chris, thank you so much for being here for all of us. You have truly upheld your promise to Brad and have become a really great advocate for lung cancer awareness. I know you miss your friend. My heart reaches out to you.

Thank you all for the kindness.. It was a rough week, having now also lost yet another very close family friend to this disease. I should be at his wake this evening, but I just cannot bring myself to go. I feel awful about that, but omg just too much for me personally to cope with.

Again, you guys are the best and your love and support for ME will never be forgotten. I doubt any of you know how much I mean those words, but they are from the bottom of my heart.

Love,

Chris

(((Chris)))

I can personally credit you for doing such a wonderful job. This disease has hit people blind-sided and sometimes hearing the words, "the treatment has not worked" or "there's nothing left - good luck" can be equally devastating. I do not know how I would be able to cope with everything that has been going on with my Father if it weren't for you. Always know that you are doing your promise to Brad justice by being such a great motivator and shoulder to lean on.

Thank you Chris.

Love,

Shirley