High White Blood Cells

angelofcharlie20

Hi All,

My Father is still in the hosp for the original pneumonia. After some antibiotics, it's better. The docs said that his white blood cells are still really elevated so they ran some more tests to see if there are any other infections he has. Everything so far has come back negative.

Anyone experience this before? I think my Father mentioned that the doc are thinking that it may be caused by the cancer in his body and that they may try chemo. Does this mean that the cancer is overtaking the body?

Best,

Shirley

I'm not certain. It could still be an unidentified infection.

I've also read that high counts occur in diabetics (worsening of insulin) and also here is more of what I could find :

"White blood cell (WBC) count, or the measure of white blood cells in the blood, is a reliable and widely used marker that reflects inflammation throughout the body, according to background information in the article. People who smoke or have acute or chronic infections generally have a higher White blood cell count. Previous studies have linked WBC count to other chronic conditions, including cardiovascular disease, hypertension and diabetes. "

Also-

COMPONENTS OF BLOOD

"White blood cells (also called leukocytes) are fewer in number than red blood cells, with a ratio of about 1 white blood cell to every 660 red blood cells. White blood cells are responsible primarily for defending the body against infection. There are five main types of white blood cells. Neutrophils, the most numerous type, help protect the body against infections by killing and ingesting bacteria and fungi and by ingesting foreign debris. Lymphocytes consist of three main types: T lymphocytes and natural killer cells, which both help protect against viral infections and can detect and destroy some cancer cells, and B lymphocytes, which develop into cells that produce antibodies. Monocytes ingest dead or damaged cells and help defend against many infectious organisms. Eosinophils kill parasites, destroy cancer cells, and are involved in allergic responses. Basophils also participate in allergic responses.

Some white blood cells flow smoothly through the bloodstream, but many adhere to blood vessel walls or even penetrate the vessel walls to enter other tissues. When white blood cells reach the site of an infection or other problem, they release substances that attract more white blood cells. The white blood cells function like an army, dispersed throughout the body but ready at a moment's notice to gather and fight off an invading organism. White blood cells accomplish this by engulfing and digesting organisms and by producing antibodies that attach to organisms so that they can be more easily destroyed (see Biology of the Immune System: Introduction).

When the number of white blood cells is too low (leukopenia), infections are more likely to occur. A higher than normal number of white blood cells (leukocytosis) may not directly cause symptoms, but the high number of cells can be an indication of a disease such as an infection or leukemia."

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec14/ch169/ch169b.html