My dad has Stage IV lung cancer... (9/20 update)

Andrea

Thanks everyone. NO one expected this. I blame myself, should I have made him get ct-scans earlier.

The man had NO sympotm. This was found b/c of a prostate procedure. Ok, going to hospital now. My mom and I slept until 8:30am, we were heavily sedated.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Andrea, what could I say about your devestaging news. I really did not expect that type of diagnosis. You just can't seem to catch your breath. It is one thing after the other.

I know you are so worried with your dad's staging, that is so scarey. But you know that there are people on here with stage IV and are doing fine.

I am just so sorry that you have to go through this, like you had mentioned your mom depends on you and your dad to drive her here and there. Now this... This is so much on your plate. I hope we can help you in some way by just being here for you.

Keep us posted on the next step as we will go through this with you.

Prayers sent to your dad and you and your mom.

Maryanne :cry:

Andrea honey...I am just so so sorry for this devastating news...I 'loathe' this disease...and it just seems kind of very strange to me that a husband and wife both have LC...

We hear of that a lot...almost seems like it is contagious but of course we know it is not...but still puzzles me...

I could see "maybe' being generic...maybe!!!!....but a husband and wife/mom and dad...that is just too too much...sigh...

Prayers are with all of you dear to find the strength and courage that you all will need...hugs...PamS.

Andrea,

I'm so very sorry. I wanted you to just be neurotic again, for it all to be a scare but nothing really... As for blaming yourself for not making him get CT scans earlier, stop that! Hindsight is 20/20. There was no reason to insist he have tests like that, and I doubt he would have listened to you because there was NO REASON - like you said, no symptoms.

Hang in there, and stop looking back. Only look forward (and make sure you monitor your own health).

xxoo,

Becky

Thanks again everyone. It was very ugly when we found out, my mom was crying she wanted her mom, how could this happe, basicaly we went hysterical b/c we did NOT expect to hear that news.

My dad is recovering very well. He walked quite a few times, he was joking, being his usual self. Asking for two cheeseburgers for dinner instead of one :)

He does not know his stage. My mom in her xanax state (it drugs her bc she does not take it normally) told him yesterday that his type of cancer does not have staging. Duh :wink: However he has to sort of know when he hears that there is too much to operate on.

There is slight disappointment that we have not yet heard from the oncologist whom we worship, but I hope that issue resolves next week. We know he knows about it.

I had 3 chest ct-scans in 2002 b/c I had an infiltrate, last one was all clear. The pulmo pulled it up himself to check, so he wants me to wait until next year to get another one b/c of all the radiation and b/c lung cancer often takes years to grow anyway.

My mom and I are exhausted. One minute hysterical, the next calm. This is one of those stories you'd think to yourself "it only happens to others, not me".

I love you all for helping me through this

Andrea,

I am with all the rest, I just have no words to say. I thought that it was going to work out okay, I always think this way when it seems like there is enough on someone's plate already, how can more happen?

I'm sorry Andrea, you know I am always here for you, along with everyone else here.