confirmed brain mets

rmm17

Last night in the ER they did a CT scan and CT scan with contrast on Mom. The scans showed that the cancer had shown up in the part of her brain that controls speech. They put her on steroids and sent her home. She's feeling a lot better. The Dr's say there's nothing else they can do. She had her full dose of radiation for PCI. So does that mean that they cant do anything to reduce/eliminate the mets in her brain with radiation? Are there any other options. We are finding a new oncologist to give her a second opinion. I just dont think i am ready to say goodbye yet. And and i am worried about my brothers. They are only 18 and i dont know how thiswill affect them. Thanks.

Rochelle

Please check into Cyberknife for your Mom's brain mets. My Dad used cyberknife for his brain mets and it was 100% successful with very little side effects. It is my understanding that you can receive Cyberknife radiations even if you have had previous brain radiation. There is a website on Cyberknife that can tell you the locations. Hopefully there is one close to you. Don't give up hope on your Mom.

Denise

I cannot give you any advice on your question but you certaninly received some good advice already.

I just want you to know that I am praying for her for better results.

Hang in there and like Don says, teenagers can cope better than you think.

Maryanne

• 2 weeks later...

Rochelle,

No matter how well-prepared you think you are, you will NEVER be ready to say goodbye. I swear we need our mothers in perpetuity!

While you are bracing yourself for the worst, expect and hope for the best. Don't borrow worries, just deal with what's at hand.

Your mom is exploring her options with a second opinion. Trust in that, and get a third, or fourth opinion, if necessary! If your mom still has the will to fight, help her get an onc who will do just that.

And many blessings to you. You are wise beyond your years, and have a good and giving heart.

~Karen

Many hugs. So sorry about your situation. I know how devastating the diagnosis of brain mets can be. My father had four lesions at the time of diagnosis.

Back then, before the dreaded cancer, I didn't know anything about cancer treatment other than sometimes they get chemo and/or radiation. Never knew anything about brain mets or gamma knifes or anything! My father got WBR, but that was it, and they told us that would just prolong his life by a few months. Nothing was ever mentioned about gamma knife. I was upset about that after my Dad died. My understanding however, is that if you have 4+ mets they do not do Gamma knife. I wonder why???? Anyone know?? If you can remove three, why can't you remove 4? Too much trauma to the brain? Hmmm.

You are in my prayers. I hope you get good news. Seek out all the info you can. Get second opinions, multiple tests. BE SURE. You can only do the best you can do, but in retrospect, I wish I had been more proactive and educated about my Dad's condition. He died so suddenly though that I never got the opportunity to research all that much. Stay strong, I know it is hard. :(

Rochelle,

So sorry that you received such devastating news.

I agree with the others that you should look into cyberknife. With Keith, we were told that even though he had full dose radiation to his entire brain, if needed he could still do cyberknife. But, he would have had to go to a different hospital to do it because it was not a technology they offered. So, by the doctors saying there is nothing they can do; what they may be saying is that there is nothing "THEY" can do, but there may be something a different center can offer. Seek the second opinion. Plus, Keith had over a dozen brain mets and they were still going to consider him for cyberknife so please still look into it.

You are in my prayers (((Rochelle)))