47 yr old Mom diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC

chrissy63078

My mom was diagnosed this month. She only has (1) 1.7 cm mass on her upper left lung lobe and it went directly to her Left Axillary Lymph Node under her armpit. I was confused when they first diagnosed her with Stage IV. It seemed so strange to me that she bypassed an the regional involvement. When I first heard Stage IV I thought there would be no hope for surgery. However after meeting with the surgeon he believed he can get all the cancer. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Where the primary cancer bypasses regional involment and metastazises to a distant area? The doctors are saying that the lung along would be stage I but with the distant cancer it makes it Stage IV. Thanks for reading.

Chrissy

Hello Chrissy and welcome

I am sorry to read about your mom, but you sure have come to the right place for information and support.

Please keep us posted on your mom and the treatment etc. And keep in mind that you can get a 2nd opinion if you are not happy with the first dr and his or her treatment plan.

Keep us posted and let us know how we can help you.

Chris

My Dad had a 8 cm tumor in his right lung with no other regional involvement and a met to his brain. Surgeon thought he could remove the cancer, Oncologists said not adviced. His thought was that it was in his blood system if it had spread to his brain and the tumor was so larger. Your Mom is young and the tumor is much smaller. It may be a good idea to have the surgery and go for a cure. I will keep you in my prayers.

Denise

Do not know details but if Surgery is option I would do it. A good friend of Mine has had 2 surgeries. Each successfull so far. Prayers for the family and yourself as well of course.