Early stage of mesothelioma

Caithi

Hi :)

I am new to this web site with some questions on my father in law who has been diagnosed with the early stages of mesothelioma.

Does anyone know...

The treatment involved for treating this?

Life expectancy?

Is there a cure/can it go into remission?

Sorry.... I have googled it but I get contradicting answers where ever I look and I know that someone in here has been through this or is going through this.

Kindly yours,

Caithi

Hello Caithi and welcome

So sorry you had need to find a site such as this, but glad you have joined us!

I,personally, cannot answer your questions, but wanted to welcome you and let you know that there are several members here that can and in all likelihood will be along with some answers and or advice soon.

Please do not pay attention to the statistics you will have no doubt come across in your researching. Stats are numbers and in a lot of cases, outdated figures. Your father in law is an individual and as such he will have uniques results to his treatments.

We like to tell people to get a small notebook and DOCUMENT everything! From doctor appt, to treatments, test results etc, and very importantly, ANY AND ALL QUESTIONS, your father in law and family will have. This is a very overwhelming time and it is easy to forget things right now.

Please keep posting, keep us updated on things and let us know how we can help you along this journey,

My best to you,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for replying to my post! :)

I feel very welcomed.

I will def start a diary on this and note as much as I can, including questions. What a fantastic idea.

Yes, it is really confusing but hopefully I will find some solid answers.

Kindly yours,

Caithi

Hi again,

You are very welcome for the reply :D

I wanted to add that you could/should read through the profiles of some of our members here. Most list the specific treatments that they have had.

Also read through the survivor stories and good news forums. Very encouraging stories in both of those!

Above all else remember there is tons of HOPE to be found here.

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Chris

Click on Links to be redirected;

1)http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/malignantmesothelioma/Patient

2)http://www.mdanderson.org/SP/diseases/mesothelioma/print.cfm?displayPrint=1&id=2a6f3bf8-eaa1-4eec-b3d4779d2e4a19e4&method=displayfull&PrintPage=1

3)http://www.csmc.edu/2044.html

Good Luck with this. I think this will give you an idea of what is going on right now. These are all crerdible resources for inf. Sending Prayers and Let us know what we can do for ya!

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for those links!

Ok.. he had a (L) thoroscopic pleural biopsy. Now he is going in for Chemo?

Does this sound right?

Wouldnt he need a Pleurectomy or Extrapleural pneumonectomy (EPP) before starting treatment? He is in the very early stages.

Im really confused. :cry:

Caith

Hopwe this helps. Not sure which they would do though.

Pleurectomy can be safely performed, and it effectively controls the symptoms of pleural effusion that develop with malignant pleural mesothelioma. The addition of postoperative phototherapy or intrapleural chemotherapy does not improve long-term survival or result in symptom palliation. Limited data suggest that EPP may give a greater chance of long-term survival in patients with favorable histology and earlier stage disease.

extrapleural pneumonectomy

Surgery to remove a diseased lung, part of the pericardium (membrane covering the heart), part of the diaphragm (muscle between the lungs and the abdomen), and part of the parietal pleura (membrane lining the chest). This type of surgery is used most often to treat malignant mesothelioma

Thankyou! :) This does help. I am completely clueless at the moment with the terms and what is done etc. :cry:

The thing is he hasnt been booked in for either? He is just going to do Chemo which worries me as I am assuming he should have either one or the other.

Have you ever known of someone skipping the surgery and going straigh to Chemo? :?

If surgery is an otion that is a very good thing with this disease. Has his Onc said he is a surgical candidate and if so, why have they not followed upp on this. Remember question everything you can and get answers. Youre Dad has 1 Doctor but your Doctor has many patients. You and your Dad have to advocate and fight for his health care.

Knowledge is power. These ar ereputable links that warrant asking Doctor about these procedures. there is always a second opinion if you do not like the way teh first opinion goes and the Fight Plan goes.