Proclamation !!

KatieB

Prolamation to declare November Lung Cancer Awareness Month in your state.

(Just change to suit your gov. and state)

The Honorable Governor Rick Perry

P.O. Box 12428

Austin, Texas 78711-2428

Dear Governor Perry:

I am writing to you to request your assistance in declaring November 2006 as Lung Cancer Awareness Month in Texas. In Texas, an estimated 10,780 people will be diagnosed with lung cancer. Of those diagnosed an estimated 10,040 will die this year from the disease. I urge the State of Texas to lead the way in helping its citizens become aware of the risk for lung cancer and provide them with available resources by proclaiming November as Lung Cancer Awareness Month. With better education, diagnoses can be found in an early stage, when the chance of long-term survival is as high as 85%.

The LUNGevity Foundation says, “By the end of 2006, 174,470 new cases of lung cancer will have been diagnosed, and an estimated 162,460 individuals will die of the disease. This equates to 445 deaths per day nationwide or approximately 18 deaths per hour. In Illinois alone, 6,790 men and women are expected to die of lung cancer in 2006. This is 28 percent higher than the number expected to die from breast, prostate, and colorectal cancers combined.

Despite these alarming statistics, and the fact that most lung cancer patients are not even aware they have the disease until it has metastasized elsewhere in their bodies, lung cancer research funding per death is far lower than other cancers. For example, in 2004 $1,723 per death was spent on lung cancer research, compared with $13,953 for breast cancer, $10,318 for prostate cancer, and $4,618 for colorectal cancer.

The lack of national attention on lung cancer can be seen in another way. When the Nixon Administration declared “War on Cancer” in the 1970s, the five-year survival rate for a lung cancer survivor was 12 percent. Today it is only 15 percent.”

We need your help!

You may reach me at 817-501-9313, with any questions about this proclamation or Lung Cancer Awareness Month. I am asking the State of Texas to help inform its citizens.

Best Regards,

Katie Brown,

Lung Cancer Support Community, (www.lchelp.org)

In association with the LUNGevity Foundation

Thanks Katie. North Carolina The Tobacco capital of the world Recognizes thhis alreadty as does Guilford County and Greensboro, Thankfully. Thanks again for this info.

Randy, that's good to know.

What I want to stress is that a proclamation needs to be requested EVERY YEAR unless the proclamation is for multiple years.

I did this last year in Texas and received a proclamation that is hanging in my office for 2005, but you have to do it every year because it is not a mandate here.

Up until this year, I think every state was this same way except NJ where activist have petitioned their state representives to pass a law stating specifically that November is LC awareness month. (I haven't heard if it has passed yet)

guys,

think of it this way- holding the proclamation in your hands as you fundraise- That's a powerful tool.

Not only does it back up the fact that nov. IS lung cancer awareness month, the issue (this epidemic) is so important that your governor made a proclamation giving the disease its own month.

It's just a piece of paper with a state seal on it, but what you do with it- the momentum it can generate for you and your state can be a huge thing....

once you get the proclamation, every letter you write can begin by saying,

"I successfully petitioned our states gov. to proclaim November Lung Cancer Awareness Month. It is an important issue to our Gov. and to the citizens of our state so.........."

(GIVE MORE MEDIA COVERAGE, write and feature more LC stories, educated the public about the disease and need for research, etc....)

You guys get the picture.

Keep writing!

wow that's cool! Now no one has an excuse! LOL. Check your state webpage and see if you can submit online. I did it the old fashioned way like I did last year... Oh well!! It works however you do it, JUST DO IT!!!

THanks

Katie,

Is it possible for you to post the text of the Texas proclamation or send it to me via PM or email? TN requires that I write the proclamation in the right format, wording, etc. I'm struggling with doing it. If it is possible for you to send it/post it, is there wording you wish had been in it? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Just thought about it and I think you may have posted it last year. I'm going to look for it. Will update if I find it. Take care.

I will do what i can on the Texas one. I know I e-mailed it to a few people but I don't have it saved anywhere. Here is the wording for Minnesota and I will post mine when i get the time to type it all in.

State of Minnesota

Proclamation

Whereas: lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women in Minnesota, the United States and teh world, this year killing more Americans that breast, prostate, and colon cancer combined; and

Whereas: former smokers and people who have never smoked comprise the majority of new cases of lung cancer each year; and

Whereas: there is currently no standard screening for lung cancer, and funding for lung cancer medical research falls far short of that for other less fatal diseases; and

Whereas: the Allinance for Lung Cancer, Support, and Education (ALCASE) is dedicated to informing and helping people live with lung cancer or at risk for the disease; and

NOW THEREFORE, I JESSE VENTURA, Governor of Minnesota, do hereby proclaim that the month of November shall be observed as:

LUNG CANCER AWARENESS MONTH

In the state of Minnesota

STAMPED SEAL HERE

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I

have herunto set my

and caused the Great

Seal of the State of

Minnesota to be affixed

at the State Capitol

this 12th day of

October in the year two

thousand and one, and

of the State the one

hundred forty-third.

Jesse Ventura

request it again! either you will get a proclamation, or a letter back telling you that one already exists. I wouldn't rely on someone elses website that may or may not be up to date!!

Good luck! Let us know!

Oh my gosh Tina! I just read this, I swear I didn't ignore you!! I'm so sorry I didn't see this post.

I see katie came through for you anyway. If you still need the verbage, let me know and I'll type it in here...

STATE OF TEXAS

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR

According to the American Cancer Society, lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer-related death among men and women. While significant advances have been made in treatment of this disease, it is essential that those at risk be proctive by considering screenings and early detection, factors that are essential to long-term good health and well being.

Through education, research and proactive measures, we can help to reduce the 160,000 annual lung cancer deaths. While family history of the disease or exposure to radon and asbestos, among other factors, can contribute to lung cancer, smoking remains the leading risk factor. Approximately 80% of lung cancer cases can be avoided if adults choose to adstain from cigarette smoking.

All Texans should be aware of the symptoms of lung cancer. In its earliest stages, some warning signs may include persistant respiratory problems, chest pain, and fatigue. It is essential that Texans always seek timely medical care, remembering that early diagnosis typically leads to more effective treatment options.

Each November, government agencies and public advocacy groups come together to recognize Lung Cancer Awareness Month. During this effort, organizers will work to educate Texans about lung cancer and early detection.

At this time, therefore, I encourage all Texans to participate in supporting this effort and learn more about this devestating illness and how to fight it through prevention and early detection. Tomorrow begins with today's actions and , together, we can continue to make a difference.

Therefore, I, Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, do hereby proclaim November 2005,

LUNG CANCER AWARENESS MONTH

in Texas, and urge the appropriate recognition whereof.

In Official recognition whereof, I hereby affix my signature this 26th day of October, 2005.

Rick Perry

Governor of Texas