Unbearable pain with Taxotere

sophiesdaughter

My Mom started Taxotere a week ago and has been having very bad back pain since the third day of the chemo. Tonight the pain was so bad that she was screaming and couldn't tolerate it, so my Dad called 911 and took her to the emergency room. I live in New York and my Mom lives in Toronto, and I feel so helpless and so worried; it was especially awful because while my Dad was talking to me on the phone, I could hear my Mom screaming. Will they be able to help control the pain in the hospital? Does anyone have experiences with severe muscle pain? and how were you able to control it?

Thanks,

Rana

Rana,

I'm very sorry about your mom. I know what it is like to see someone you love in agonizing pain.

I know that the drs. will be able to control her pain.

As far as the cause of this pain, I couldn't tell you if it is chemo related. Everyone is different in their reactions to chemo. But like Tina said, it's best that she get some further tests..MRI, or CT to rule out or see if there is anything going on.

I pray that your mom will come thru this ok.

Grace

I had severe lower rignt back pain during Taxotere treatment. Mine was'nt as severe as your mom's. I was also admitted in the hospital where they discovered I had pneumonia, pleural effusion and radiation pneumonitus.

Praying for you!!

J-me

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that the doctors can get your Mom's pain under control. Pain like that just can't be tolerated by anyone.

I am one week post my third Taxotere treatment and I do have some vague and strange right hip pain that can be severe but I have had this for at least a year, so I don't think it is chemo related. Taxotere has only given me incredible fatigue after the second cycle for three full weeks. Thankfully the fatigue is much, much, much less this third cycle.

Please keep us updated on your Mom and know that all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Pam in FL

Thank you very much for your responses.

My Mom is still in hospital, still in pain, but the pain is better. They still don't know what the cause of the pain is, it's not pneumonia, and Mum's bone scan is clear (thank God), they will be doing a CT scan tomorrow, and they did some liver tests today. Hopefully we'll find out soon what is causing it, and off course we are hoping it's not cancer related.

Jyoung20 and Pam,

Did Taxotere work for you?

Rana

Rana ~

I had a CT scan after two cycles of Taxotere and the results showed stable disease. Based on that, I feel that the Taxotere is working well for me - stable is good!!! :lol:

I get another scan after my 4th cycle at the end of October and I will let you know the results.

In the meantime, I will keep sending positive thoughts for your mom and you. I am glad to hear that her bone scan was clear!

With a gentle hug,

Pam in FL