I have to wonder...what is the point?

Bev'sSister

Bobby,

What a great brother you are.

Hope...makes it worth it. Even though we aren't suppose to look at the statics, it is hard not to. I always tell my husband somebody has to be that "5-10%"....you've got to believe it can be you.

We're fighting this battle. I'm not sure what tomorrow will bring...but each day I have with him is my gift from God....just like the beautiful moon out tonight.

Mary

Bobby, I think you asked a very smart question -- and got some great responses! My brother also fought to the very, very end and yes, he suffered a lot. But after his first treatment was over, he had some good time to enjoy life, family and work - to go about his life and influence others. Yes, his cancer came back, but it doesn't always! Anyway, he would be elbowing his way to the front of the line to tell your sister to try her heart out to beat this thing. (He would also make her laugh at something, which I can't figure out a way to do at the moment.) :wink: Anyway, this can be beat, and why not her?! You hang in there, too. I'm thinking about you and sending every good wish and prayer for your sister.

BeckyCW

Sorry it took me so long to post!

I was diag in 2/01 with exten. sclc. I had 1 relapse in 2/03 and just saw the Dr Fri and all scans are clear.

In just a few months it will have been 6 yrs since that day.

I have seen my youngest start driving, dating and go to college, my middle one is getting married Dec. 2!!! My oldest moved away and was married and doing very well.

I am getting ready to celebrate my BIG

50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES, it was worth it and if I relapse again I will go thru it all again.

Good luck, Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

Bobby,

My Mom was dx w/sclc extensive stage in May 2006. She started Chemo and had 3 treatments. Each one almost killed her because of all the unbearable symptoms. She was ready to include radiation into the mix and had a CAT scan and an MRI done. You know what. The Dr. said NO more tumors. She is right now cancer free and feeling more like her old self with each new day. She and I went to Denny's for the first time in 6 months (she hasn't been out of the house other than Dr's appts in all that time) and she had a ball. She ate like a little piggie. You would NEVER have believed that possible just 8wks earlier when we thought she might die from her treatment. It can and does happen that people get well from this disease. I am sending you and your sis gentle hugs and lots of prayers.

-Char

Thank you so much. Posts like that are good for me to read. I just talked to my sister, and she and my Mom and another sister are out Christmas shopping now. She is also looking for scarves and wigs, but seems to be in good spirits. She has her ups and downs. I will pray for you and your Mom. I really belive that prayer works. Thanks again for the uplifting post.

Hi Bobby,

I'm so glad to see that so many people posted to help show you the worth of fighting this, and to strengthen your spirit. I could add my husband's story to that as well. He fought for 3 1/2 years, much longer than doctors thought he'd have and a lot more than he'd have had without treatment. And those years were good ones, with lots of laughter, love, and good memories. He worked full time up until about 6 weeks before his passing, but even not working he was walking, talking, taking care of himself and me up until the end. He even walked himself into the hospital, and walked himself out to come home to hospice the day before he died. I won't get into that too much because I think you get the point.

I did see one comment a few times in your posts that I did want to address. You have this fear in you that each successive treatment will be harder and cause more suffering. I did want to tell you that although as time goes on, the body does not bounce back from treatment as well, it doesn't necessarily mean that she has to suffer more and more. There are a lot of really great drugs out there these days to counter the side effects of chemo. Although my husband's blood counts dropped lower later in treatments which caused him to take longer breaks between cycles, he really didn't suffer escalading side effects from treatment. In fact his hardest treatment was his second one. He had 2+ more years of chemo after which were all less painful to him. Really his progressing suffering was always due to disease progression not the cumulative effect of treatment. So, if the treatment can keep your sister stable, or possibly cure her, it is worth the risk of treatment. And she should never have to suffer from the treatment itself. If she is, she should contact her onc immediately and get different support agents and anti-nausea drugs etc...

There are newer treatments and chemos coming out these days that are more targeted and meant to cause fewer side effects and less strain on the body. Your sister may be one of these lucky people who only mildly feels the effects of their treatment.

Thanks Carleen. I appreciate how difficult it is for you to read a post like mine, then respond positively to it. I have moments of great hope and then despair. This is so hard to go through. My parents, both in their late 70's, are really having a hard time with this. I hope one day they find a cure for this awful, awful cancer. :?

Bobby:

I visit this site periodically to check on folks and see if there's any new treatments, etc. w/SCLC. As you can see, my dad went through treatments and battled to the very end. He was one who said many years ago that he probably wouldn't go through chemo if there wasn't a good chance he would make it. When the dr told him only 5% chance of survival for him and wouldn't even commit to a timeframe, he was upset but said let's do all we can and had a great positive attitude (and even kept a sense of humor through chemo and radiation). He had good days and bad days (the "rollercoaster ride") but none of my family would have traded the extra time with him. His extra time gave us another Thanksgiving and Christmas. Time to teach his youngest grandson how to play checkers (my son) since he had taught all the others. Time to play his fiddle and mandolin on Christmas for us. Time for us to come together as a family, realize we're mortal and become closer than we ever had before. It gave our family time to prepare to say goodbye. We talked openly about his illness and dealt with things one day at a time. He was a very tough fighter and a gentle giant. May your family be blessed with many memories ahead!