Smaller goals

beckyg

Becky,

I pray that you find relief and your breathing improves. Look how far you have come! Before, you were unable to make it to the bathroom without becoming out of breath. I wish for you to complete a story without having to stop, until then have your daughter tell you stories about the pictures in the book. Prayers for you.

Cheryl

Becky,

We have that one and have read it many times.

Last night Katie was grouchy and was falling on the floor crying every time i told her to do something. Finally, exasperated, I told her, "Katie, quit crying! That's enough." Later, she wanted to play Ring Around the Rosie. I was particularly short of breath and told her I was too tired. She said, "But Mommy, Ring Around the Rosie is always short." Then I cried because I really couldn't do it. She crawled up in my lap and hugged me and said, "Calm down, Mommy, it's okay." Then she said, "When I cried before, you yelled at me." Of course I cried harder then. But by bed time I was able to get through her stories.

Becky

Becky,

When my kids were small they liked Ring Around The Rosie, too. When I was recovering from surgery I couldn't get down on the floor, or up again for that matter. So we changed it to the Musical Chairs version of Ring Around The Rosie. We put chairs in a row back to back (there were 4 of us) and walked slowly around them. There was a chair for each of us and when we came to the part where you're supposed to say "We all fall DOWN", we sang "We All Sit Down". They didn't care that I couldn't hit the floor with them. They just wanted me there to play with them. My daughter (who was 3 at the time) especially liked decorating her chair before we played. Silk flowers, a big green satin bow. The boys made knight's shields to put over the backs of theirs.

Just a suggestion. I hope that you will be able to breathe easier very soon.

Much affection,

Fay A.

Thanks Fay, I'll try it with chairs. That night the problem wasn't so much getting up off the floor as it was moving at all. I had just had to change the sheets on her bed (naptime accident) and changing the sheets, for whatever reason, wipes me out pretty thoroughly for a while.

I am headed to the oncologist in about an hour for results of my latest x-rays. This is the first check since I started Iressa. I'll post when I learn something.

Becky

Becky:

You talk about shorter goals, like reading a book to your daughter, all the way through. When I was restaged to Stage IV, the oncologist asked me for my hopes and plans for the future. My wife told her, she wants me around in 18 years to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. Sometime in August, while going through chemo, I told my wife that her goal for me is good, but I have to take each anniversary one year at a time. I can't hope for the whole 18 years, I have to set my goal down to a reasonable level, and one year at a time is a reasonable level for me.

Its like you, you have to take it one book at a time, and you will see your daughter grow up, graduate from high school and college, and be there for her wedding.