Today I saw what this disease does

tk1235

Mom had her first chemo treatment the week of September 11. Thanks to all of your advice she handled the treatments very well. No nausea thanks to the emend and only some mild fatigue. The doctor did not think because of the chemo she was on (cisplatin and etopocide) that she would not have any hair loss. We thought if anything was going to happen it would have happened by now. This weekend I called her and she told me that she was losing her hair by the handful. I kind of thought she was exagerating. But today I saw the proof. I think today put this whole nightmare into reality. We went to a shop that specializes in accessories and apparel for cancer patients to look for a wig. We picked out three or four including a redhead. My mother's hair is dark brown. I told her lets see what you look like as a redhead. She laughed. When the sales associate, by the way she was wonderful, asked Mom to take off the wig that she had been given by the Cancer Society to try the new one on, she started to cry. She told me she did not want me to see her with her hair loss. She did not want to put me through this. I guess I was not prepared because I started to cry. I told myself that I would be strong in front of my Mom but I lost it today. It really became real today not just a horrible nightmare that I could wake up from. We picked one out that looks very natural and I think it made Mom feel alot better. In fact, we are all going down to Columbus this weekend to see my son and his girlfriend's new house. Mom hasn't seen it yet and she is very excited. Thanks for listening. I just needed to put my thoughts down. My prayers and thoughts are with everyone coping with this disease.

Terrye

Sending Prayers and remember what we discussed in chat. Prayers and Let mom know her Hair stylist can trim it to her liking if she wants. Deb had a Blonde bob and reminded me of Barbara Streisand No joking!! Have fun

I remember when my hair came out by the handfuls it was just unreal to me. I really did not think it was going to come out at all because I had 6 weeks of weekly chemo (carboplatinum&taxol) concurrent with daily radiation before my surgery. My hair never came out. After my surgery I had just two sessions of adjuvant chemo. The same chemo drug but in a larger dose. I think the hair just jumped off my head and ran away. I became completely bald. After I cried about about losing my hair. I decided to look at it as a positive thing-that the chemo was killing any cancer cells that might be in my body. I visualized that. By the Grace of God I am now 15 months cancer free. Bu the way, my hair grew back and it is nicer and thicker than it was before and the amazing thing is I hardly have any gray! :D

I started chemo at the beginning of December (2001) and by Christmas I was in full throttle of hair loss. When my daughter asked me to talk to her from the kitchen doorway because I was "shedding" all over dinner I asked for the clippers to be brought out and had my head buzzed. I looked real cute on the photos that year, bald head and all!!

It was very liberating for me not to keep having handfuls of hair fall out but I'm sure that my family felt the same as you.

My best to your Mom

Geri

Hi Terry,

My Mom was the same way about her wig. She didn't want any of us to see her without it and I completely respected that. My sister and I got her a comfy hat that she wore when she was just relaxing at home.

I'm glad to hear that your Mom found a few that she likes and feels good wearing.

Have a wonderful weekend in Columbus.

Warm Hugs,

Melinda

Hugs to you Terrye. What a real moment. I am so sorry that you have to be part of this. Sometimes I wish so much I could be living in the bubble I used to live in...living out of the bubble is exhausting! Stay strong and know we are here for you. May you find peace, and your mom too.

Blessings,

Jen

Hey, Terrye -- it is normal for the patient to be uneasy with the hair loss, even with close ones. My wife didn't fully relax from that anxiety for almost a year. Then she didn't care whether she had a hat on or not. It was very liberating when she got to that stage. My wife had her head shaved as soon as the hair started coming out in clumps. That way, it was one big shock instead of a series of agonizing ones. Keep us posted. Don

Hello Terrye,

I just returned from visiting my sister 2,000 miles away. She too had just lost her hair. She met me at the airport wearing an adorable hat which she pulled off right there in the airport and said: "So Little Sis, how do you like my new 'do'? ". Her humor immediately made things OK. I guess everyone deals with hair loss in a different manner. I think we all should just follow their lead and do what makes them most comfortable. I'm sending prayers to you and your Mom. We all need to keep our hopes high. Sis

Terrye,

I think everyone responds differently to hair loss. Mom was on the same drugs and was told the same thing your Mom was and ended up losing her hair in clumps. My Mom found wigs a little uncomfortable and she had a hard time finding hats. She was too tired for shopping, so I found some bigger kids' sized hats and sent them to her. They were bright and cheery. She ended up wearing hats more than wigs.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend with your family. I think it's vital to have those "normal" family times as often as possible to get away from all the crap that goes with this horrible disease and concentrate on the stuff that matters most- living life.