Avastin-Tarceva Question

Wendy

I just finished Avastin treatment #10 (done every 3 weeks) with Tarceva daily.

I am curious what side effects others are experiencing with Avastin.

I have begun to have numbness and tingling in my arms and legs similiar to neuropathy. The symptoms are not constant but intermittent. I start sweating but I am feeling chilled and my hands and feet are really cold. Many days I wake up in the am and I am cold and I feel like every muscle in my body has tensed up.

My doc associates it with the Avastin affecting the blood vessels and has decreased my dose slightly which seemed to lighten the side effects.

Has anyone heard of this or had other symptoms with this?

Wendy

I can not help except to say Keep your Onc up to date on side effects. this is Very Important to do. My wife did not make it to avastin but she did have Tarceva alone. Sorry but sending prayers for you.

Wendy,

I have been on both drugs, but not at the same time. I am currently on Avastin. I have had it every three weeks since June. I have not experienced side effects like yours. I do have neuropathy in my feet but I have had it before my diagnosis. Various chemo's have increased it, but it usually goes back to what I had before. The Avastin has increased it slightly it seems. I have a very slight rash in my hair, slight fatigue right after treatment. The Avastin has been one of the easiest chemos I have had.

Good luck with it all. John

• 2 weeks later...

My mom will have her last chemo treatment (round1) next Friday. She is on Taxol, Carboplatin and Avastin. She is experiencing many of the same symptoms that you are. She has the tingling in her feet, and her feet get really cold. She also feels very stiff the first few days after treatment, like she's 90. But it does wear off in time. About one week off, she feels back to normal self. Doc hasnt decreased the dose yet.

Wendy, Hope this helps,

Possible common side effects of therapy

Because targeted therapies like Avastin work in a different way than chemotherapy, there are different side effects.

Common side effects associated with chemotherapy include:

Diarrhea

Nausea

Vomiting

Loss of appetite

Loss of hair

Tingling or numbness in fingers or toes

Mouth sores

Increased chance of infection

Bleeding or bruising easily

Fatigue

Rash on the hands and feet

Avastin is used with chemotherapy, so some of the above side effects may occur during treatment. Also, there are some common side effects more directly associated with Avastin. Your cancer care team will talk with you about what to expect and how you can work with them to control side effects.

Possible serious side effects you should know about

In clinical trials for MCRC, a small percentage of people treated with Avastin in combination with chemotherapy experienced serious side effects, including gastrointestinal (GI) perforation and slow or incomplete wound healing

In rare cases, these serious side effects and others discussed have been fatal

People who took Avastin with chemotherapy had a higher risk of stroke or heart problems (blood clots) compared with people who took chemotherapy alone. Talk to your doctor about these potential problems, especially if you are over 65 years old

Additional serious side effects seen in patients who took Avastin with chemotherapy include hypertensive crisis (severe hypertension), reversible posterior leukoencephaolopathy syndrome, and nephrotic syndrome (a sign of severe kidney malfunction)

If you experience any of these side effects, your doctor may permanently stop your treatment with Avastin

Because everyone is different, it is not possible to predict what side effects one person will have. If you have any questions or concerns about side effects, talk with your doctor and other members of your cancer care team

Although Avastin is only approved for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer, it has been studied in different types of cancer. Because these cancers—and the chemotherapy agents used to treat them—are different, the side effects that patients have may also differ. However, it is important to be aware of some of the more serious events seen with Avastin in these other cancer types.

Some people receiving Avastin in combination with chemotherapy for lung cancer experienced serious tumor-related hemorrhage (bleeding). People who experience severe bleeding should stop taking Avastin permanently

A small group of people receiving Avastin plus chemotherapy in clinical trials experienced congestive heart failure. This risk was highest in people who had taken anthracyclines (a type of chemotherapy commonly used to treat breast cancer and some types of leukemia) in the past and/or in combination with Avastin

www.avastin.com