Applying for Disabillity

Bev'sSister

My Sister was told that she would not qualify for disability for another 6 months and they also told her this is the law. We live in Louisiana, but does anyone know if their state laws are similar to this. It seems so cruel. It is like they hope she dies before the 6 months is up, so they dont have to pay her. How are people supposed to live with this? She can't work anymore.

Bobby,

Once again, I'm sorry that your sister is going thru all of this. Unfortunately SS Disability takes about 6 months to get, but it is retroactive.

I would suggest in the meantime for her ( and you and whomever else is helping her) the following:

Talk to the social worker at the hospital/cancer center she is getting treatment for. He/She hopefully will be able to direct you in some places where she lives to get some help/assistance..

I was thinking also, if she can qualify for welfare, food stamps and other assistance. It would be very simple for her to get that documentation. But I would strongly suggest that you or someone else who is helping her to put together all the documents that she would need.

Of course, definitely have her apply to SS for disability

My other question would be, what was her work situation? You said she can't work any longer, does she have any time she can cash out on, also is there any long term disability?, Since I don't know your sisters' exact situation I can't give you any further info.

Please definitely look thru out this site, there have been many postings of websites that can help her out.

Grace

Bobby,

The way it worked for me was, I collected disability insurance from my company, then SS took effect after six months. The disability insurance company helped me file. It was to their advantage, because they did not have to pay as much when I went on SS. It was 9 months after my diagnosis that I filed. SS paid me back money to the 6 months, but not for the first 6 months, I had to pay the disability company the back pay I got.

Thanks to all for your replies. Beverly worked for a Nursing Home in Oak Grove, LA., for 20 years. She did the accounting there and is unable to handle the stress right now. Her sick leave and vacation has been depleted; she only got 10 days of each and they didn't roll over. (use them or lose them). She is having to pay for her own insurance now, at least she is able to do that through the nursing home. The SS office told her when she does get it, it will not be retroactive. She has savings, so she is unable to qualify for welfare or food stamps. I just think it is shameful for our government not to help take care of the sick any better than this.

I'm kind of surprised that the nursing home doesn't at least provide short term disability. In New York it seems that most companies provide that with no cost to the employee. It would be long term d.i. that an employee would have had to pay for.

Has she checked that out?

Joan

Bobby,

She should be able to collect State Disability at least for a year. That is what i did here in California. I believe it is available in all states. I also had Cobra insurance after I had to stop working. I did have to wait 6 months for the SSD, but I did get retroactive money FROM the date I filed. My suggestion would be she file NOW... Check out the website for SSD and state disability. Hope this helps...

prayers,

Karen

I applied 1 month after I realized I could not work, it was approved very quickly BUT I had that 6 month wait from the last date I worked. I did not get any back pay because you are right there is Fed. law stating you must not be able to work for 6 months to actually be able to collect disability.

I guess they want to make sure the cancer does not just 'disappear'!!

Cindy

Alan receive State disablity for a year and about a

month before that ran out I started collecting all

his medical records from each of his Drs, hospitals,

ect. I then made his appointment with Social Security

for his permante disablity and he had his check 6 weeks later. I really do thing gathering

all his medical records ahead of time helped, (socail security sent them all bace when there were done).

I would set up a meeting asap, at the very least S.S

will let you know everything you need to do. The lady

who interviewed Alan and I was very helpful. She also

told us Cancer patients go the the front of the line.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm late to this posting, butI just wanted to let you know, that unless it's recently changed small cell is on SSDI's "automaticly approved" list. They still enforce the six months off work before cutting that first check, she should be able to get SSI in the short term until the SSDI kicks in though.

Thats what I was able to do.