Mom 60 Diagnosed SCLC -No Symptoms Until 30 days Ago

lc46

Hello Dar and welcome

I am so sorry about your mom but glad you found us here.

This site is such a wonderful source of information, answers, support and hope. Just let us know what you need and someone will be along to help you out.

A couple of recommendations, which you will see mentioned a lot here. Get a small notebook or an organizer and write down everything!! All the questions you or your mom might have, the tests, results, doctor appts, simply everything. This disease is an overwhelming thing to deal with but it is do~able. Ask for copies of scans, test results, etc and if you are not comfortable with the first doctor, do not hesitate to get a 2nd opinion.

Keep posting and let us know how we can help.

We are here for you.

Chris

Hi-yes I already did get a notebook that's filled already with 4 pages of information, questions, Dr's #'s Etc....We go to Fox Chase Monday and then To Univeristy of Pa-I want two opinions no matter what. I will keep you posted.

Dar,

I'm so sorry about your mom, it takes so much out of everyone. I hope you will take a moment to read my profile and see what my husband has been and is going thru.

I won't lie, treatment of SCLC takes so much out of the person going thru treatments. Your mom is still fairly young, and that is a positive for her.

Attitude is important as well, she's with you and her grandchildren and although you may not realize it and there will be times, but that is some of the best therapy around.....

Lastly, welcome, it is a mixed greeting, sadness for the need to be here, happy that you are here...

Grace

Hello Dar,

Sorry to hear about you mom. Don’t be so positive about your mom getting sick with chemo. Be positive about your mom being cured. Many people have no bad side effects with chemo. This does not seem to get too well published. I had chemo and never got sick or loose my hair. We just have to pray that your mom will be one that does not get sick. I think it is important for her to know that many people don’t get sick. You will know a lot more after you go to chase. Keep us posted.

Stay Positive,

Ernie

Hi Dar and welcome,

So sorry about your Mom. As you can see this is a great place for support, advice and inspiration from MANY survivors!

I wish your Mom a very successful treatment and recovery. The chemo side effects can be well controlled with medication these days. To be honest... a lot of people don't even get side effects! I will hope and pray that this is the case for your Mom.

My very best to you and your family,

-Rod

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Thank God for the internet. I can't imagine not being able to talk and read about others in the same situation. It's the only thing that keeps me going-reading these inspiring stories. My Mom is already in pain and we haven't even begun. Does the pain subside once chemo/radiation starts? She wasn't in any pain until her bronchoscopy the other day. She woke up the next morning and her chest has been hurting ever since. Are there any SCLC survivors on here that live more than a year or 2? I know that sounds great to her right now to be here in 2 years. And I guess you truly have to live your life with this disease one hour @ a time. How do you get over the disbelief? I feel like I have been watching 9/11 all over again-it's just surreal.

Thanks for listening......

Dar

Hi Darleen and welcome,

So sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. I didn't have any pain when i was first diagnosed, but I did have a lot of coughing, blood in sputum, etc. Those symptoms subsided almost immediately after I began chemo and just kept getting better. Chemo was rough -- no nausea, very fatigued-- but I had more good days between cycles than bad days. Psychologically, that helped a lot. I'm praying that your mom's treatment goes well. Good luck to both of you.

Trish

Well I read this small cell grows @ double the rate of non small cell.

My cousin's mother in law was diagnosed May of 2004 with non small cell and she is still here kicking it!

Right now this is all so new and unreal to us. My Mom wasn't in any pain until she got the bronchoscopy done. Also it's about 9cm they say!! Pretty big for having 0 symptoms!

I was just telling my Mom they need a billboard on every major highway saying-no symptoms-insist on a cat scan with every phyiscal from your Dr!!!

I am so sorry that your mom has this awful disease that I hate so much and that you have to endure the worry and anxiety that comes with. Do try to be positive. It does help. I will add you and your mother to my prayers.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I can relate to your post, my Mom is only 56. I think it is wonderful she is with you in your home, just please remember to take time for yourself. Also, wanted you to know that my Mom just finished one round of Chemo (and besides some minor discomfort--constipation and mouth tenderness), she did amazingly well. I pray your Mom will too. Candy

Candy

Thanks for the kinds words. It's going to be a long road ahead of us. I have 2 small children also-My son is in school 3rd grade so my daughter who is 4 has been going to the Dr's appts with us. She is a little trooper. I have been reading non-stop and it is pretty discouraging to be honest but I am trying to stay positive. I'm looking into some major diet changes that we can both do together. I truly believe in what you put in your body has a lot to do with your health. Put crap in feel like crap-put good stuff in, feel good..

Dar

Hi Dar,

To my limited understanding: Small cell lung Cancer typicaly responds best to chemotherapy. More so than Non Small Cell.

Try and relax. I know from my experience as many here pointed out to me. You will feel better once your Mom is in a solid treatment plan.

As far as time lines go? I firmly believe that it's 50 - 50 for all of us healthy or not everyday. You either live through today, or you don't. Thats the only number game I subscribe to :)

Warmest regards and positive thoughts to you all,

-Rod

Dar,

So sorry about the diagnosis. We too were shocked at how extensive my husband's disease had progressed by the time he was diagnosed. He had passed a stress test in early January of 2005 with flying colors and by early March he could hardly walk from one room to another. No clues other than a little cough until he began coughing up blood and his breathing became labored. He had smoked, but quit 23 years before diagnosis, so the Docs kind of scrapped chest x-rays, etc. Wrong, wrong, wrong! Tony is the first person to jump up and tell people to get x-rays, scans, etc. now because the medical profession really got the old "your lungs will be fine in 10 years after you quit smoking" wrong!

For a photo of how bad he was (NSCLC) you can visit Tony's care page at http://www.carepages.com/lcsc and enter his page name: TeflonTony

Now... take a deep breath and try and stay positive for your Mom. A good attitude helps tremendously. Your Mom is in for a long and bumpy ride, but with modern drugs taken at the right time, her side-effects should be minimal. Try to stay on top of the anti-nausea meds when she starts chemo. They work best if you take them before the nausea sets in (if it does at all). Our good friend who had SCLC too often let the nausea get ahead of the meds, so she had a more difficult time. And most of all, drink, drink, drink! (Even if your Mom doesn't want to -- that's where you come into play) :)

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your Mom's progress.

Welthy

Welcome Dar,

The site can be helpful with information and encouragement. There is a forum for small cell. As I understand it, chemo is used and can be effective. Not all chemo makes you sick. I had an easy time, with only the need for an occaisional anti nausea pill.

Stay positive.

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dar,

So very sorry for your Mom's diagnosis. Your story reminds me a lot of my Mom's. She was also 60 when she was diagnosed.

My Mom was a wreck before she started chemo. I think she had built it up to be a lot worse than it actually was. She actually felt better after starting chemo than before. Hopefully your Mom does too.

My only piece of advice is to go to every appointment with her. Whenever Mom went to the doctor, there were 2 or 3 or 4 of us with her. It got to the point where we thought we might be intimidating doctors with all of the questions we asked, but they really don't mind. We found that when we left the doctor's office we often each had our own interpretation of what the doctor said and it really helped to discuss everything after.

Stay positive and try to get some normalsy in your life as well.

Hi Dar,

Sorry to hear about your mom's dx...we too are new....as of 9/18/06 first dx date...my husband was dx...but we're still seeking out other opinions....

So I understand the "nightmare" you're experiencing...

Like everyone else has said....stay positive...keep hoping....

What I'm learning is each moment with everyone in our lives is soooooo precicous....

I too...go to the shower to cry/scream....it's a safe place to do that and not to alarming for the rest of the family....

I will keep you in our prayers...definately get more opinions...

Love,

Tracey Huguley