Introducing myself

robobbi

Hi everyone -

My name is Roberta and I was diagnosed with non-small cell lung cancer in December 2004. It was a fluke that it was even found since I didn't have any symptoms...that Sunday I was driving to meet my family for dinner and felt my heart beating more rapidly than usual. My daughter's father-in-law is a doctor and suggested I go to the ER. They did tests and heart was fine but I told the ER doc that I had been having some discomfort in my stomach and he did a CT scan. That showed some nodules in my right lung but said "probably of no consequence" and to follow up in 6 months...and I said NO WAY. Found a surgeon and had all the tests - full chest Ct scan, PET scan. The CT scan showed a tumor in my LEFT lung and had surgery on December 20th and they told us it was benign. The doctor came in the next day with the bad news that it wasn't benign so I had to have more surgery in January, 2005 to remove the upper lobe of my left lung. Lymph nodes and margins were okay, thank goodness. I had 8 treatments of chemo, first Gemzar/Carbo and then was switched to Gemzar/Cisplatin. Had lots of problems with my blood and needed shots most of the time. I completed chemo in May of 2005 and so far, so good. Although I must say that every three months when I go for my scan I'm filled with anxiety. Ironically my daughter had been part of Lungevity for several years before my diagnosis because a friend of hers has lung cancer. I know that talking with all of you will help and if I can be of help to anyone, please just ask.

Roberta

Hi Roberta....welcome to the board and as usual we alway's say sorry you had to be here but glad you found us...Anyone here will help you anyway they can.

Happy you are doing well...but I'm sitting here thinking...first they tell you benign and then the next day 'bust your bubble"..grrrrrrrr..I wish some of these doctor's would get the facts straight before they make any comment at all...freaks me out....

Stay well and God Bless....PamS.

Hi- Thanks for the welcome! The day after surgery they removed my chest tube and then I had a lung collapse...so they had to reinsert the chest tube which is NO fun. I was laying there and I kept saying to myself " I can take anything because it was benign" and then the next morning was told it was malignant. I wouldn't wish that emotional swing on anyone...but we get through things we never even imagined.

Thank again for the welcome.

Roberta,

Welcome, you came to a great place to get info and find friends. I would like to invite you to join a lot of us on the LC SURVIVORS forum. Here all cancer patients discuss various topics and try to help each other. The LC SURVIVORS is A forum for anyone diagnosed with Lung Cancer, those in treatment and those who are not, to express their thoughts and issues from a patient's perspective.

Ernie

Hello Roberta,

I too am sorry to hear you have the need for us, but I sure am glad to hear you could swing in here and check us out and make some wonderful friends and get some wonderful support.

I am an 11 year stage IIIA-B lung cancer survivor.

So, please know that this crud can be beat. :wink: There really are many many many long term lung cancer survivors running around this world. :wink:

I said it before and I'll say it again - thank you. Hearing from all of you is wonderful, inspirational and very "connecting".

I wish I would have known about all of you when I was first going through all the trauma but I don't think the need for these connections will ever stop.

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Just want to add my own welcome here. I can truly relate to what you said about not knowing you could survive the diagnosis of lc. It is amazing to me the strength and courage that resides deep inside each one of us. When we need it, it is there. You have truly found it, girl!

again, Welcome!

Cindi o'h

Just want to welcome you Roberta. You certainly have been on a rollercoaster ride, but you are doing just fine.

Your story is inspiring and I love your spirit!!

We are always here for you and could use you to help some of the newbies who are so scared. We are here to give them support and can answer any questions they may have. Please join us in helping them.

They have to know the LC is NOT a death sentence and there are so many treatments out there, they just have to find the one that will work.

Take care and again welcome here, we are sorry you had to find us but you found the best family here.

Maryanne :wink:

To Myrnalu and Maryann-

Thanks for your welcome and Maryann, I agree with you about trying to help anyone who needs it. As I've said before I wish I had known about this site when I was first going through everything..but I didn't, but if I can help anyone in even the smallest way it will help me.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Roberta