First Posting - Newbie - No diagnosis yet

MrsOckert

I'm Valorie. Just finished 48 weeks of chemo for HEP C. Two weeks later diagnosed with 7 mm nodule in left lower lung and enlarged lymph nodes. Two days later had apt with pulmonary dr. He ordered blood work (for CEA? marker?) PFT (showed early stages emphysema) and a PET scan for this coming Saturday. Chest X-ray and CT scan say possibly malignant.

I've read so many other posting with lung nodules and people say report says probably benign and follow up with scans every couple months. Since mine doesn't say that do I have more reason to be concerned.

If it is cancer what do I have to look forward to? When I was dx with Hep C it was very frightening and gathering all the info I could made it a lot easier.

I'm concerned about the finanacial aspects of this, how sick will I get and all kinds of other questions. My next apt is Tues the 24th at 9:00 am so I will know what's what then.

It scares me that all this seems to be moving so quickly. Thanks for listening.

Welcome to you, Valorie. You have asked the common questions most have. However, until you have a bit more info, I'm not sure any of us will be able to answer very completely. When you leatn more you will find many knowledgeable 'experts' here to guide you along. In the meantime, while you (and we) wait for complete dx...........take a step back, take some deep breaths, and be ready to learn all you can to be your own best advocate.

Kasey

Cross Fingers and everything for now. Wait and see is a normal sometimes and has the best approach sometimes. Say prayers for now and See what Doctor has to say. Sending prayers and Let us know what the Dr says. Then if it is something serious we can talk about the Facts. Think Positive and Say prayers. I will too.

Hi Valerie,

welcome!

Bummer that you have had to go through all of what you have. Were you on Imuran? I understand that the treatment for Hep C can knock you down pretty hard, including emotions. With treatment, depression and anxiety levels running high are common, I have read and heard.

Now you have to wait to find out what about your lung? Yikes!

Is there any way you can think of to avert your mind away from going toward a lc diagnosis? Just the sincere "thought" of it scares a person badly. (caused me to curl up in a ball inside myself) It really does a person no good to dwell on a firm diagnosis when there isn't one to be had as yet. Please try really hard to reclaim your life before hepC and enjoy every waking moment healing from all that you have gone through. In other words, try to live in the day today and not in the future. It will be there for you to worry about when it gets here.

Cindi o'h

HI and welcome Valorie,

So sorry for all that you are going through.

Take a deep breath for now. Even if it's L.C you have a excellent chance of surviving it. Read around this board and take inspiration from the MANY survivors. This is much more than just a message board, it's a family that is here 24hrs a day to listen and lend advice.

I will hope and pray that your results are benign. please keep us updated.

Best wishes to you and your family,

-Rod

Valorie,

Welcome sorry to hear about your problem. Until you get all the results of your tests, you can’t know for sure what you have. As far as how sick one gets, each one is different and there are a lot of variables. I was very fortunate in that I have not had one sick day, so there is always hope. Please keep us advised as you learn more, and we will pray that there is no cancer.

Ernie

Cindi,

I'm still trying to manuever around this site and figure it all out. The Hep C treatment about did me in. I would take a shower and have to rest for an hour before I could move again.

I was on 150 mcg weekly (injection) and 1200 mg of Ribavirin daily. I was able to work until about halfway thru then went to part time. My thyroid quit working and went on Synthroid. HGB hovered at 11 until week 32 when it went to 10.5 was put on procrit for the remainder of treatment.

I was depressed but was scared of trying to wean myself from AD's so refused to take them. On reflection I think it was a bad idea and would probably take them in the future.

Waiting seems to be the name of the game for everything.

Hello Valorie and welcome

Sending you tons of postive thoughts and prayers that this is NOT Lung cancer. However, if it is, you have found a terrific site to help you through.

Please keep posting and let us know how we can help.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chris

Hi Valorie,

Welcome to the board. I recommend you wait and see what the doctor says. I know it's hard, but it may well just be something to watch. You have your hands full so concentrate on that.

When you have more info, many people here can probably provide some information as to their experience and knowledge.

Good luck.

Mary

Hi again Valorie.

Does sound like you got kicked in the rear with the Hep treatment. One friend went through the treatment for a year like you. Never before had he ever experienced clinical depression, but for some reason, he was hit with it during his treatment. He said he then understood and felt compassion for those people who lived in a chronic depressive state.

I just want you to know that I talked with my family phys. last Friday about antidepressants. He told me that some of them (depending on the one) you have to start slowly and then build up to a certain dose. He then mentioned that others can be stopped abruptly while others do require a "weaning" off period. He said there were certain ones that needed to be taken by the clock and a dose not missed. Some are even geared toward compulsivity. I think if you were to make an app't with a doctor who is knowledgeable and understanding you could find someone who might be able to help in this area should you find yourself in need.

I had an internist who did not prescribe anti-depressants. She said she didn't know that much about them, so she was uncomfortable prescribing them. Instead, she referred me to a nurse practitioner. (I went to her and without even opening my mouth, she wrote a prescription for an antidepressant)

I have every confidence in my good and kind doctor who I now use. He is a good listener and smart with helping to meet my needs.

By the way, we can all probably relate to getting pooped from a shower. Very good luck to you in your recovery and getting your old body back. She will come. Just give her time to heal.

Cindi o'h

Hi Valorie,

Welcome here. You certainly have been through so much. But do not stress too much over your nodules. I know that is easy to say, but so many people have been going through what you are and it turned out to be benign.

I pray that is your case. However, we are here for you with any questions or support you may need.

Please know that even it the test comes out not in your favor, there are so many treatments out there. You will find that one will work for you.

In the meantime, everything crossed here for benign results.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Maryanne :wink: