swallowing difficulties/dysphagia

gail p-m

I am not a doctor, but maybe ask if rhGM-CSF could be used to treat the dysphagia.

I have read that it can last a fairly long time, unfortunately.

If I were a patient I would ask for Amifostine (Ethyol) during radiation and chemo. It reduces the toxicity of radiation without reducing the benefits of radiation.

It helps prevent radiation-induced esophagitis and other problems

Gail,

I can't speak for everyone regarding swallowing difficulties and radiation, but in my case, the discomfort gradually went away over 4-6 weeks. My radiologist told me to buy George's "Fractionally Distilled Liquid from Aloe Vera Leaves" and take a shot (as in shot glass, not a needle) every 4-6 hours. I was warned that over medicating would lead to diarrhea...

When I reached a point where this was not enough to help, I was prescribed Carafax (and old ulcer medication). I was to take the shot of aloe to soothe followed by the Carafax to coat my throat. Worked for a while (did NOT alleviate all discomfort, just made swallowing possible).

Not a fun experience, but necessary...

Hope I helped in some way,

Becky

aka Snowflake

Gail,

Oh what a time my Buddy had with this. He had three different treatments of radiation and each time it got worse. He was only able to swallow a little soup and some cornation instant breakfast during those bouts with the throat. It finally went away about three weeks after the last radiation cycle. Inbetween times he tried all different things but nothing really worked. He lost so much weight...glad that part of this fight is over....

The swallowing difficulty is very common.

However, I would keep an eye on it. Five weeks after ending radiation, my mother still could not eat anything but Jello. None of the prescribed medications to ease the pain when swallowing helped. Neither did aloe vera juice. She also lost about 30 pounds.

She had a very severe case of radiation esophagitis and had to have surgery on order to stretch the esophagus.

If it gets to the point where it seems just beyond the "expected" pain, please call the doctor. They will sometimes tell you it's "normal", but I don't want anyone to have to go through what my mom did.

Minnie

Mom diagnosed w/Adenocarcinoma (inoperable) Stage 3B Sept. 2003