Jump to content

Stage IIIB


Recommended Posts

Background: My mom was origninally diagnosed with stage IIIb. That was because they found fluid in the bottom of her right lung in addition to the mass at the top of her right lung. But there was disagreement about thr fluid and therefor, disagreement on whether or not my mom was a IIIA or B.

Anyway, my mom has been responding well to the chemo. She is on Taxol, Carboplatin and Avastin with little side effects. Her last chemo treatment is scheduled for 10-27. Her mass has shrunk, as of last round, 77% of it's original size, with three infected lymph nodes. The lymph nodes have shrunk, but are not gone. I know it is possible that they are just enlarged because she is sick, but we wont know for sure until the next PET scan.

I'm just curious to hear from other people with similiar situations if they were able to have surgery.

My mom keeps hearing different opinions. One doc says he could perform surgery if she gets the cancer under control, one doc says she will never be a candidate, and another says they would not do surgery if there is cancer in the lymph nodes still.

I'm not sure what the case is and am looking to hear what others have experienced with surgery.

Mom's doc doesnt want to talk about the next step, but as it approaches, I am getting impatient..


Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should get more responses as the day goes on today. Personally I think if surgery is possible and shrinkage is happening, That would be a good sign. My wife was inoperable, but your case sounds promising and am glad you have a very aggressive team of Doctors working with your Family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am so glad your mom responded well to treatment.. We have a similar case. I was diagnosed with IIIB in Dec. '04 and also responded well to treatment. I had 4 nodes enlarged on the right side of the mediastinum and 1 on the left. The nodes at this time are still enlarged but I have been in remission since finishing treatment. My onc. said that although they are enlarged they could still be dead... only another biopsy would prove that.. Now, we wait and watch.. I will not able to have surgery because of the amount of scar tissue from radiation.

Hope this helps!!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear about your mom, but it seems like the doctors know what they are doing.

I can't answer you about the operation, but if she could have one that is the way to go.

I am sure you will get many responses from people who have walked in her shoes.

Good luck, and keep us posted. You may want to add a profile on the bottom of your posts so we could know more about her diagnosis and treatments.

Maryanne :wink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know how hard it is to hear all of the differing opinions. It makes your head spin wondering which could be the one that will or won't save your mom's life!

I lost both of my parents to NSCLC, stage IIIB, but their tumors and the way they acted were completely different. They both had the same chemo (taxol/Carbo) and my dad did terribly, while my mom did wonderfully. I fully believe it was a combination of a lot of things, not the least of which were attitude (my dad's was poor, my mom's was great) and the way the chemo was given (they mixed my dad's, and he was miserable from the start, and with my mom, they gave the two separately, with other drugs to combat symptoms). We went to Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Zion, (I live in the Chicago burbs) for my mom, and had a wonderful experience there. You absolutely MUST trust your doctors and feel they are doing all they can to combat this thing. Any doc who said your mom would not be here in five years would be looking at the back of my head in a matter of seconds. That, in my opinion, is very disrespectful.

I wish you the best of luck, and many good days ahead. Your new marriage should not be saddened by this grief.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My mom was dx at IIIB. Not in lymph nodes. She had chemo/rad first and the tumor was dead when they went in. First opinion was inoperable then got second had surgery.

Does she want surgery? If she does and can take it then listen to the doc who thinks it can be done!

Good luck! Keep us posted!!

Kelly :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had two lymph nodes to light up in the center or my chest. I had six weeks of weekly chemo and daily radiation before my surgery. My surgeon told me that he would not do surgery if there was cancer in the lymph nodes. The only way to find out for SURE was to do a biopsy on the surgery table as I went to surgery. My lymph nodes were okay and I was able to have surgery. Remain positive. I know how you feel I was so worried that I would not be able to have surgery. Remain positive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.